Feb 05, 2009, 07:11 AM
Heli Hooligan
SJM180 comes with weights
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2009, 07:19 AM
like a rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34
I dont get why, on the chinese weights , if they're effective(and alot of people add them to models) why manufacturers dont include the bump in their designs? It would take almost zero effort from them and they're not on most models.
The behavior of unmodified bladeholders isn't only bad: Since the return force increases with headspeed, it effectively reduces the gyro gain with headspeed. This means, you can set it higher on the gyro, take the benefit if headspeed bogs and don't suffer from oscillations at higher headspeed.
But the rudder servo needs to work much harder.
On real helis, chinese weights are being used.
Feb 05, 2009, 07:30 AM
road wart
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
The behavior of unmodified bladeholders isn't only bad: Since the return force increases with headspeed, it effectively reduces the gyro gain with headspeed. This means, you can set it higher on the gyro, take the benefit if headspeed bogs and don't suffer from oscillations at higher headspeed.
But the rudder servo needs to work much harder.
On real helis, chinese weights are being used.
alot of good model companies ignore it.....changing the shape of something in design costs nothing,it isn't made yet. you gotta wonder why,thats all
Feb 05, 2009, 08:22 AM
like a rock!
I found chinese weights mentioned in US 3791234 from 1974.
At least it shouldn't be a patent issue :-)

Personally, I believe most helis are flown by beginners anyway who wouldn't utilize the extra performance anyway. But it may make it easier to set up.
Not a very satisfying explanation. Or maybe the manufacturers aren't reading web forums...
Feb 05, 2009, 08:23 AM
Quote:
I dont get why, on the chinese weights , if they're effective(and alot of people add them to models) why manufacturers dont include the bump in their designs? It would take almost zero effort from them and they're not on most models.
The new trex 450 pro has weighted tail blade grips, looks like SJM and Align are catching on.
Feb 05, 2009, 11:38 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
Or maybe the manufacturers aren't reading web forums...
HUGE problem! I've seen reps from Horizon on here fairly often, and from GWS - but they aren't the designers. It would help if the design engineers actually read some of this stuff. That is why I'm considering designing a trainer airplane package that addresses the most frequent problem. Yeah, I know there's lots of good trainers already, but every single one of them has some kind of issue that is easy to fix, and yet remains un-fixed by the manufacturer.
Feb 05, 2009, 03:20 PM
road wart
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
HUGE problem! I've seen reps from Horizon on here fairly often, and from GWS - but they aren't the designers. It would help if the design engineers actually read some of this stuff. That is why I'm considering designing a trainer airplane package that addresses the most frequent problem. Yeah, I know there's lots of good trainers already, but every single one of them has some kind of issue that is easy to fix, and yet remains un-fixed by the manufacturer.
well....they haven't made one that flies itself yet....you doing that?
Feb 05, 2009, 04:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
well....they haven't made one that flies itself yet....you doing that?
Kind of... yeah

But the main issues I see in trainer aircraft sold today are: they aren't trainers but still marketed as such, they are under-powered, have crappy radios, poorly designed landing gear, and are boring to fly once you learn how to fly. Same goes for trainer helis - entry-level coaxials have most of those characteristics too. The point that applies here though, is I'm a person who does watch the forums, I am aware of the common complaints, and I plan to address them. There is no such thing as the perfect aircraft, but failing to address common issues when they are right there on the internet for you to read and fix... well, there's just no excuse for that.
Feb 05, 2009, 05:34 PM
like a rock!
but make no mistake: people aren't stupid. At least usually.

All too often it comes down to the questions: What is the value it creates for how many customers. How much does it cost.
For example:
- one customer out of 100 may appreciate the chinese weights, making the heli $5 more valuable to him.
- but, 10 out of 100 find the "warts" aesthetically displeasing, lowering the price they are willing to pay by $1.
Doesn't make sense? No, it doesn't. That's life

Or, there are .90 3D helis where no compromise was made. Surprise surprise, the same money buys you three T-Rex 700.
Feb 08, 2009, 10:18 AM
With the stock tail servo, what servo arm and distance are you using? I am seeing guys being forced to use a ridiculous low amount of gyro gain because they have the ball out on the end of the servo arm.
Feb 08, 2009, 12:00 PM
Let's fly !
5 mm from ball center to servo screw center. gain at 76 in idle up with a 2100T gyro.
Feb 08, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Dayspeed.
Feb 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
Team Mulikow 3D ---- :0)
Man the have the front 2 screws on the battery tray are so close to the edge of the frame --I pulled the battery off from the velcro and after a few times the frame holes have cracked/broke out so the screws just slide in and out now. Those that have the 250 please check and see how close they are and be careful -- unsure what to do now. Everytime I take a battery off the velcro it wants to tip the tray upward because the front screws wont hold :0( == shame on a fairly new bird -- Align needs to change that to a different design. What would or have some of you guys done to fix/cure this from happening -- I cant be the first ;0) EXAMPLE -- the pivot on the top two -- the bottom two holes are open on the tray side -- kinde like this C <-----

Markus
Feb 17, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi all! Quick question. Did Align already release new tail grips with the chinese weights? Or is that still an open issue?
Thanks!
Ken
Feb 17, 2009, 08:23 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
Hi all! Quick question. Did Align already release new tail grips with the chinese weights? Or is that still an open issue?
Thanks!
Ken
Alan Szabo Jr. over on helifreak had some photos of a prototype tail grip that had the Chinese weights. He also was flying Carbon Fiber tail blades.

Heim Joint is another on helifreak who is selling a Chinese weight kit along with some a preloading spacer thingy for the tail.

I just got mine in the mail today, but haven't had a chance to put it on yet.

Ricky

Quick Reply