Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 06, 2009, 10:01 AM
Heli Hooligan
Seems you saved a bit of weight too. Most of it I guess is from the Outrage pack, Logictech gyro & servo. I think my weight savings on you are with the Hyperion servos. I changed the power connector to Deans Micro but that wouldn't have made much of a difference from JST.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2009, 11:40 AM
Let's fly !
I bought the kit with the Align servos, to me, it was worth it price wise.
Depends on how many $/g your ready to go.....
Jan 06, 2009, 05:46 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Thread OP
Mine comes to 330g with Align 850 battery.
Stock everything except JR DS290G rudder servo, Futaba R617FS receiver, and 205D carbon blades.

I've tried a few battery packs for the 250, and have found my favorite to be Thunderpower Pro Power 30C 3s-850 pack. They are slightly larger than Align 850 battery, but about 2/3 the thickness and weight in at 75g with JST connector. The power is insane! I need to retrain my flying habits.
Jan 06, 2009, 06:03 PM
Heli Hooligan
Where did you get that battery from?
Jan 06, 2009, 06:08 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Thread OP
I got it through Thunder Power, but they should be available everywhere by now.

espritmodel.com has them.
Jan 06, 2009, 06:32 PM
Heli Hooligan
Thanks. Esprit seem to have no stock on them, according to their website. I couldn't find any other stores selling them.
Jan 06, 2009, 06:35 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Thread OP
Should be in any day now. It is a brand new pack that just came out recently. You might want to email them on availability.

I have been running the Pro Power 30C on my T-Rex 500 and 600, they are leaps and bounds better than the Extreme V1 and V2's.
Jan 06, 2009, 07:23 PM
**I'm Battman**
Appreciate the TP PP 30C info.

I've been flying TP ProLites in my 3D planes for years.
Talk about long life packs!

My awesome news for the day.
My little bro. just picked up our 250s this morning from HeliProz in MT.
I'll have it on Monday.
Christmas lives on!

rc
Jan 06, 2009, 08:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
The power is insane! I need to retrain my flying habits.
You know I'm a big lover of Thunder Power, but this makes no sense. The power of your helicopter should be the same no matter what battery you use, as long as the voltage is the same and you aren't over-discharging it. So, are you saying the Align pack is being over-discharged? Cuz the Trex 250 can't go over 15 amps, and the Align pack is good for 16. Is it really a difference or is it just the power lasts longer?
Jan 06, 2009, 08:17 PM
Let's fly !
I felt the same when I bought the Outrage battery for my Trex450. The Outrage 3S 2200 is heavier by 17g compare to the Align 3s 2100 battery but, what a difference in available power, I also registered 250 rpm more headspeed.
Must be the voltage, it stays higher then the Align.
Jan 06, 2009, 09:03 PM
AH-1 OH-58D

When life give you lemons...

Just got a combo kit by accident - thanks to a confused shipping clerk - but after reading this thread... I think I'll keep it.

Think I'll take this build slow, at least until I can figure out what the gyro/servo to buy for it. In the meantime, I'll keep crashing my HBFP .

Flying these little birds is blast and challeging... especially when you are used to sitting in them.

Great build thread Steph280.

gNr
Jan 06, 2009, 11:05 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Thread OP
What makes a good battery pack good is the ability to hold voltage under load. When you start to fly aggresively, some battery pack will drop more voltage than other, resulting in bogging of head speed. A good battery pack will have minimal voltage drop during heavy load, resulting in more punch and consistent speed.

I agree Thunder Power Prolites are some of the best packs ever made. Unfortunately their follow up Extreme and Extreme V2 series didn't live up to the standard. But they have gone back to the prolite manufacturer for the new Pro Power 30 and Prolite V2 series. They are still fairly new right now, but they will be the new standard everybody else compare to.
Jan 07, 2009, 12:27 AM
Rocket Programmer
I have noticed that as well - the Extreme can pull a crapload more current than the Pro-lite, but it gets hot and wants to puff up when you go anywhere close to the rating. The 2200 is supposed to handle 55 amps continuous, but it gets hot on a plane that I know pulls only 35 amps at max throttle. Annoying, but they are still better than the Pro-lite, which would fry itself in that plane
Jan 07, 2009, 02:58 AM
like a rock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
... but this makes no sense. The power of your helicopter should be the same no matter what battery you use, as long as the voltage is the same and you aren't over-discharging it.
the problem with any battery is, the power that is wasted inside the battery is proportional to the square of the current (ohm's law, P=I^2 R).
When we run close to the capacity limit, the inner resistance causes quite a difference. But when just hovering, one doesn't notice a thing.
That's why one feels the difference between good and bad LiPos mostly when you drive them hard. Good LiPos won't bog as much as bad ones when almost discharged - the resistance doesn't increase as much as in a more expensive one.
Jan 07, 2009, 09:31 PM
Heli Whore

My T-Rex 250 Build Log.

Hey guys;

So I've just finished my T-Rex 250 build and posted it in a new thread. Feel free to take a look at the pics and comment if you like.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980211

Thanks to everyone here for the help!

-Rich

Quick Reply