This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2008, 01:23 AM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Another orphan hits my doorstep!

Well, things haven't exactly been going according to the predictions in my last couple of blogs.

The Great Planes Cessna 182 project is on temporary hiatus (I needed two of the new servos I'd bought for it for use in another model and I'm fairly certain the engine is way too large) and I haven't yet ordered an airframe for the O.S. LX 25 which had powered the late and relatively unlamented Raiden Tech Zero Fighter-25.

All hasn't been without some action. I have three reviews for the magazines almost ready to go once I edit the videos. Broadcast quality, yet. My friend the producer who shot the models in action has too much on his plate to edit the raw footage, so I've arranged to edit the footage with help from another production house.

No tricks this Halloween, but I did get an unexpected treat.

I went to the local hobby shop to pick up a new li-po I'd ordered. One of the clerks came from the back room with an old, dusty .40 or .46-sized Cub fuselage and corresponding wing. No decals, no markings, no cowl or engine.

I was told that it was mine.

One of my retired flying buddies works at the store part time. He was given that plane along with several others which had been gathering dust in an attic only Heaven knows where; attics aren't in vogue here in the desert. Nor in Southern California in general, for that matter. I assume it was from an out-of-state seasonal visitor.

In any event, she was a dirty little beast. Well made, though. Nothing like a nicely built kit, especially one with simulated cloth covering. The photos are exactly as I first saw it at the hobby shop, dust and all. It was complete with a full compliment of Hitec servos, a very dead and very small battery pack (the power switch had been left on literally for years) and underneath dry-rotted foam were a seemingly unused fuel tank and a beautiful Futaba FP-R127DF high-band seven-channel receiver. All I need is a channel 55 crystal. I have another of these receivers and I'll try the crystal out of it first.

I have everything on hand I need to make it fly and I do believe I'll be doing so and report in, that is once I make minor repairs to the wing struts and stabilizer. I'll log the progress I make on "Project Cub" right here.

My buddy thinks it's a SIG and he thinks getting a cowl won't be a problem. I'm pretty sure it isn't a Great Planes. I have another orphaned Great Planes Cub in good overall condition but in need of recovering and it's larger than this model. If anyone has some insight as to the origins of this model, please let me know.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Nov 01, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply