Oct 31, 2008, 11:35 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Larry,
Where do you buy this motor for $5.95? I've looked on the net and found them for $4.99 in China to $9.95 in Europe. Found them on ebay hobby shop's but they add huge shipping cost. Who is your supplier?

Dalton
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2008, 12:16 PM
Larry, what programme do you use to vectorise please? Tell me it's free!

Jim
Oct 31, 2008, 01:53 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign
Larry,
Where do you buy this motor for $5.95? I've looked on the net and found them for $4.99 in China to $9.95 in Europe. Found them on ebay hobby shop's but they add huge shipping cost. Who is your supplier?

Dalton
Hobby City
Oct 31, 2008, 02:15 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
Thanks
Oct 31, 2008, 04:21 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Larry, what programme do you use to vectorise please? Tell me it's free!

Jim
The programs I use are not free. If the drawing is in pdf, I use Corel Draw to import the pdf then manually trace the lines ( haven't gotten Corel trace to work satisfactorily) then if I need to do any precision drawing I export to DXF and use Auto Sketch to tweak it then I use pdf995 (free program)to write the pdf out of Auto Sketch. If the drawing is in graphic format, there are many free programs that will do it. Gimp, SketchUp are a few (google them they're easy to find). I don't remember if Gimp imports pdf or not you might have to research that.
Oct 31, 2008, 04:41 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
I apoligize. I'm rather slow with building my planes lately, not much time it seems. When I worked night shift I had plenty of time (most of the night) but now that I'm day shift, this has changed.
Not to worry Rusty I understand being short of time I'm in no hurry just hoping you finish and post plans.
Oct 31, 2008, 05:22 PM
Playtoy
I have three of these 2822 1200kv motors. Also bought from hobby city.

Running it on 15 OZ profile SU27 and 7*5 SF prop with three cell lipo. Wide open throttle and motor never gets hot.

Requesting for :

If anyone running this motor on a 2 cell Lipo 9 or 10 inch prop please post what prop, how many Amps and thrust.

Thanks !
Oct 31, 2008, 05:41 PM
2822 1200kv.
2S lipo; 1100mah.
GWS 8x4 HD; 5.2A; thrust ??
GWS 9x5 HD; 8A; thrust ~14oz (estimated, almost supports weight of 16oz plane).
Oct 31, 2008, 05:41 PM
Always Ready!
I'm flying a 30oz AUW 48" wingspan Drake II seaplane on the CF2822 with 3S and GWS 8x6HD prop. ROW is no ploblem... quite quick though not enough thrust for vertical. I can do loops and barrel-rolls if I carry speed and momentum into the stunt. Plane is currently under repairs from a crash caused by a locked-up elevator servo. The plane would be much lighter except I added a bunch of Coroplast to the hull to make it more rugged for snow-flying.

I also fly a Curtiss R3C-1 racer biplane that is about 24oz AUW with the same prop/lipo. Watch the videos - this plane is a hoot - still running strong after 50-60 flights.

Also building a Wal-mart chuck glider that should come in under 24oz with 52" wingspan. It will use the same prop/battery, or possibly I'll swap the prop to a GWS 9x5HD for more thrust and less speed.

Lastly, I built a 44" trainer that comes in around 22oz ... similar to a BluBaby with KFm airfoil. 3S and GWS 9x4.7SF or 9x5HD prop. The 9x5 is certainly more efficient, but the SF prop will hover the plane.
Last edited by warhead_71; Oct 31, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Oct 31, 2008, 06:03 PM
Playtoy
Gyrocptr & Warhead71.

Thanks for the data input !

Warhead71. As you mentioned running this motor on a 3 cell lipo and 9*4.7 SF Prop and i already gave a try but motor gets hot even at half throttle.

Nice build btw !
Last edited by Cheetah401; Oct 31, 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Oct 31, 2008, 07:29 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah401
I have three of these 2822 1200kv motors. Also bought from hobby city.

Running it on 15 OZ profile SU27 and 7*5 SF prop with three cell lipo. Wide open throttle and motor never gets hot.

Requesting for :

If anyone running this motor on a 2 cell Lipo 9 or 10 inch prop please post what prop, how many Amps and thrust.

Thanks !
Thanks for your post Cheetah401. I too am interested in the amps and thrust of 10" with 2s lipo. hope someone post results.
Oct 31, 2008, 07:39 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
I'm flying a 30oz AUW 48" wingspan Drake II seaplane on the CF2822 with 3S and GWS 8x6HD prop. ROW is no ploblem... quite quick though not enough thrust for vertical. I can do loops and barrel-rolls if I carry speed and momentum into the stunt. Plane is currently under repairs from a crash caused by a locked-up elevator servo. The plane would be much lighter except I added a bunch of Coroplast to the hull to make it more rugged for snow-flying.

I also fly a Curtiss R3C-1 racer biplane that is about 24oz AUW with the same prop/lipo. Watch the videos - this plane is a hoot - still running strong after 50-60 flights.

Also building a Wal-mart chuck glider that should come in under 24oz with 52" wingspan. It will use the same prop/battery, or possibly I'll swap the prop to a GWS 9x5HD for more thrust and less speed.

Lastly, I haven't started a thread on it, but I built a 44" high wing trainer that comes in around 27oz ... similar to a BluBaby with KFm airfoil. 3S and GWS 9x4.7SF or 9x5HD prop. The 9x5 is certainly more efficient, but the SF prop will hover the plane.
Nice builds especially the conversion chusk glider. I think someone should start a contest for creative builds starting with this walmart foamy. Thanks for your post.
Oct 31, 2008, 08:04 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrocptr
2822 1200kv.
2S lipo; 1100mah.
GWS 8x4 HD; 5.2A; thrust ??
GWS 9x5 HD; 8A; thrust ~14oz (estimated, almost supports weight of 16oz plane).
Thanks for the post. Did you use the two props on the same plane? If so did you see a noticable difference when you changed the prop?
Oct 31, 2008, 08:38 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
Nice builds especially the conversion chusk glider. I think someone should start a contest for creative builds starting with this walmart foamy. Thanks for your post.
Steve Cooper would win... he's already done a dozen versions, including pushers and twins and float-planes.

--------------------------

The CF2822 is a great little motor on 3S for anything in the 14-24oz range. Like I mentioned, I have it in a 30oz seaplane, but it has a very light wing-loading, so it flies more like a powered glider. I never need to run it WOT... I fly the seaplane and R3C-1 under 2/3 throttle max... cruise at a click over half. The trainer flies at 1/2.

I don't have a watt-meter or static thrust rig, but I can give you a list of all the GWS props I've run on it:

HD = Hyper Drive : SF = Slow Fly

7x5HD - fast, low amps, appropriate for something zippy under 16oz, like a profile flat-plate wing... diddlebug, fastcat, blufunder, etc.

8x4HD - not enough pitch for the R3C-1... I suppose it would work with a lightweight slowflyer.. again, anything under 16oz and it should work.

8x4x3HD - not much different than the 8x4HD - slightly more thrust... slightly less speed.

8x6SF - wow! this prop literally "howls" in the R3C-1, but the prop only lasts about 6-8 flights before it sheds a blade -- the SF is just too weak - it will eventually break under the stress. Motor and 18A ESC also get pretty hot to the touch - but they were in an unventilated cowl - I never burned one up from overheating. If you can keep the motor under 2/3 throttle, it should hold up and not get too hot. Lots of thrust, lots of speed, lots of amps - I could probably hit 35mph and almost hang the plane on the prop.

8x6HD - the best prop for "sport flying" and tops out around 40mph (guesstimate). Not as much thrust as the 8x6SF, but much cooler running and higher top-speed, and not as many amps. This is my preferred prop for anything faster than a trainer, and it's plenty of thrust to haul the 30oz seaplane out of the water.

9x3.8SF - would be great in a s-l-o-w bipe or 3D plane, but not enough speed for anything I own.

9x4.7SF - yes, this one really pushes the motor beyond it's limits if you run it near WOT. With careful throttle management, it might be good for a trainer or GWS-sized warbird. Not terribly fast, but tons of thrust for getting out of trouble. I haven't done it, but I imagine you;d burn up the motor at WOT for more than afew seconds.

9x5HD - my second favorite prop - more appropriate for 16-24oz trainer or powered glider - a good mix of thrust and speed for an intermediate pilot. Would probably be a great upgrade for a SlowStick or GWS warbird... though it tops out around 30mph on my draggy trainer.
Last edited by warhead_71; Oct 31, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Oct 31, 2008, 08:56 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Steve Cooper would win... he's already done a dozen versions, including pushers and twins and float-planes.

--------------------------

The CF2822 is a great little motor on 3S for anything in the 14-24oz range. Like I mentioned, I have it in a 30oz seaplane, but it has a very light wing-loading, so it flies more like a powered glider. I never need to run it WOT... I fly the seaplane and R3C-1 under 2/3 throttle max... cruise at a click over half. The trainer (link forthcoming) flies at 1/2.

I don't have a watt-meter or static thrust rig, but I can give you a list of all the GWS props I've run on it:

HD = Hyper Drive : SF = Slow Fly

7x5HD - fast, low amps, appropriate for something zippy under 16oz, like a profile flat-plate wing... diddlebug, fastcat, blufunder, etc.

8x4HD - not enough pitch for the R3C-1... I suppose it would work with a lightweight slowflyer.. again, anything under 16oz and it should work.

8x4x3HD - not much different than the 8x4HD - slightly more thrust... slightly less speed.

8x6SF - wow! this prop literally "howls" in the R3C-1, but the prop only lasts about 6-8 flights before it sheds a blade -- the SF is just too weak - it will eventually break under the stress. Motor and 18A ESC also get pretty hot to the touch - but they were in an unventilated cowl - I never burned one up from overheating. If you can keep the motor under 2/3 throttle, it should hold up and not get too hot. Lots of thrust, lots of speed, lots of amps - I could probably hit 35mph and almost hang the plane on the prop.

8x6HD - the best prop for "sport flying" and tops out around 40mph (guesstimate). Not as much thrust as the 8x6SF, but much cooler running and higher top-speed, and not as many amps. This is my preferred prop for anything faster than a trainer, and it's plenty of thrust to haul the 30oz seaplane out of the water.

9x3.8SF - would be great in a s-l-o-w bipe or 3D plane, but not enough speed for anything I own.

9x4.7SF - yes, this one really pushes the motor beyond it's limits if you run it near WOT. With careful throttle management, it might be good for a trainer or GWS-sized warbird. Not terribly fast, but tons of thrust for getting out of trouble. I haven't done it, but I imagine you;d burn up the motor at WOT for more than afew seconds.

9x5HD - my second favorite prop - more appropriate for 16-24oz trainer or powered glider - a good mix of thrust and speed for an intermediate pilot. Would probably be a great upgrade for a SlowStick or GWS warbird... though it tops out around 30mph on my draggy trainer.
Has Steve done threads on his builds?

Quick Reply