Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 29, 2008, 11:48 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Discussion

The CF2822 Brushless Motor

I think this is a remarkable little motor especially for the price $5.95. I have used it in several models. I plan on using 4 of them in my 8 foot seaplane. incase you are not famiruar with it here are the specs:

Tiny but mighty!
A well made and nicely finished outrunner. Excellent for small foamies and indoor shockflyers.

Spec.
Weight: 39g (with wire & sticker etc)
Shaft: 3mm
Motor Length: 46mm
Diameter: 28mm
Stator Size: 22x10mm
Suggested prop: 9~10inch
Voltage: 11.1v (3S)
Kv: 1200RPM/V

Data ;
Prop size: 10x5
RPM: 7100
Max Curr: 14.5A
Thrust: 710g (1.51lb)

Prop size: 10x4.7 SF
RPM: 6100
Max Curr: 14.5A
Thrust: 745g (1.64lb)

I think it would be interesting to see what it could power.

SHOW WHAT YOU ARE POWERING WITH THIS MOTOR.

How about a little Pro and Con discussion too.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2008, 12:56 PM
Larry it seams to have good spec.
I advice you to move your post to Power System theread and/or ask Dr. KIWI there.
I think he has reviewed this motor somewhere.

Franky
Oct 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Franky... I am not asking questions about the motor or seeking advice about it's use. I'm sure Dr KIWI has a brilliant review. I think this is in the appropriate area as scratch builders have a more diverse range of models than kit or ARF builders. And I have noticed a lot of questions on cheap power for scratch builts. As I said I thought it would be interesting to see what scratch builders can do with these things in real world modeling. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Larry
Oct 29, 2008, 02:28 PM
Build, fly, learn!
I am using the CF2822 on this 10oz. (280g) 3D trainer: the Owl-RT.
I am extremely satisfied with this motor on 3S with a GWS8040HD prop (current is < 10A).
There are a few things one should know before using this motor:
  1. The grub screws that hold the motor to the mount have a tendency to come loose. Once the motor is installed it's a good idea to use some Loctite on the grub screws, lest they should come loose in flight.
  2. It comes without a prop adapter. Shaft is 3mm.
  3. Mine came with some magnet dust/debris that prevented it from running smoothly. Once cleaned it's OK.
  4. The motor is wound DLRK and has a nice linear throttle curve.
  5. Cooling of the windings is very good.
  6. The C-clip that holds the shaft is of questionable quality, and breaks easily if not removed carefully.
Edit: I added a few pictures of the CF2822. It's a rather nice motor for $6!
Last edited by ADB2; Oct 29, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Oct 29, 2008, 02:51 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Very nice build ADB2. Thanks for the information on the motor. We'll make sure we loctite the grub screws good. I watched your video... great flying especially with the wind.
Last edited by larryross; Oct 29, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Oct 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
Build, fly, learn!
Thanks Larry!
BTW Dr. Kiwi reviewed an old version of this motor with a different kv. I lent both a 1200kv CF2822 and a 1540kv CF2812 to my friend Louis Fourdan for testing (he has a fully instrumented test stand and just about 200 props...).
I'll post here once I get some numbers from Louis.
Anyways with a 3S 610mAh LiPo I am getting around 10krpm on a GWS 8040HD (around 470g thrust and 40mph pitch speed) @ < 10A, which is ideal for my 280g 3D trainer.
Last edited by ADB2; Oct 29, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Oct 29, 2008, 03:40 PM
Pardon me Larry !!

GULP ..... I misunderstund your query.

Franky

P.S.: yes I mount it on my SLOSTANG (Link)
Last edited by frankyfly; Oct 29, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Oct 29, 2008, 05:00 PM
treefinder
I've got two of them (I'm into cheap!) one on a 42" blubaby usually 3s and the other on a PV2 (Parkflyer Pete variant) 2s. BB uses 8x6 sf prop and PV2 a 9x7.5 sf. Great fliers. So far motors are rock solid. Also got a cousin cf2812 (1545kv) on a Mike 3s and 8x6 sf prop. Just looked and the props are Haoye from HC (also cheap).
Oct 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
Good idea Larry. As I'm fairly new at this I was always wondering what kind of motor I needed for planes I was building. Picked up 2 of these earlier this year because they were so cheap. Currently have one in my Infineon i3D and one in a 28" SilentMite. i3D is running on 2s1200mah lipos so it would balance.Waiting for some bigger 3s lipos to arrive and then we'll see what it does. I did notice that one sounded a little "gritty" so I cleaned it out and lubed the bearings. Runs really smooth now.

Sterling
Oct 29, 2008, 05:58 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyfly
Pardon me Larry !!

GULP ..... I misunderstund your query.

Franky

P.S.: yes I mount it on my SLOSTANG (Link)

No worries Franky I too often read over things and miss the jest. BTW I agree with Kdahlhaus that is the best looking slostang I've seen.
Oct 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I've got two of them (I'm into cheap!) one on a 42" blubaby usually 3s and the other on a PV2 (Parkflyer Pete variant) 2s. BB uses 8x6 sf prop and PV2 a 9x7.5 sf. Great fliers. So far motors are rock solid. Also got a cousin cf2812 (1545kv) on a Mike 3s and 8x6 sf prop. Just looked and the props are Haoye from HC (also cheap).

Very happy to hear from fellow cheapo. Thanks for the post.
Oct 29, 2008, 06:09 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1
Good idea Larry. As I'm fairly new at this I was always wondering what kind of motor I needed for planes I was building. Picked up 2 of these earlier this year because they were so cheap. Currently have one in my Infineon i3D and one in a 28" SilentMite. i3D is running on 2s1200mah lipos so it would balance.Waiting for some bigger 3s lipos to arrive and then we'll see what it does. I did notice that one sounded a little "gritty" so I cleaned it out and lubed the bearings. Runs really smooth now.

Sterling
Was it difficult to clean up? I like the Infineon. Thanks for the post.
Oct 29, 2008, 06:31 PM
My plans are in my blog
I've used the version that spins a 7 inch prop, and enjoy the performance I get from it. I've even ordered two more (got them a few weeks ago), and will put them in some planes I'm working on. Excellent motors.
Oct 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
I've used the version that spins a 7 inch prop, and enjoy the performance I get from it. I've even ordered two more (got them a few weeks ago), and will put them in some planes I'm working on. Excellent motors.
I love your toon planes. As soon as I can I am going to build them all. Guess what motor I will use. I would still like to get the drawings for the SkyBaby. I'm collecting them and running them through a CAD and vectorizing them so I can enlarge them. Thanks for stopping by and posting.

Larry
Oct 29, 2008, 11:54 PM
My plans are in my blog
I apoligize. I'm rather slow with building my planes lately, not much time it seems. When I worked night shift I had plenty of time (most of the night) but now that I'm day shift, this has changed.

Quick Reply