DW Foamies 48" BAF Juka

DW Foamies BAF Juka

AUW 28 oz
48" wingspan
Extreme Flight Torque 2818-900T
3S ThunderPower 2100 Prolite
(4) HS-65HB servos
Futaba FAAST rx

I just finished a 48" Juka that has a killer paint job from Joe Stutzman (Snap on Flying Giants). Unreal quality. As an aircraft developer for 3D Hobby Shop, I get to spend a lot of time poring over small details in an attempt to improve a product, make it fly better, or make it more user friendly. I saw basically nothing I would change on the 48" Juka kit.

I found the CNC work be superb. All of the tabs fit snugly with no slop. All of the control horn slots were snug. Fit and finish are excellent. I used the recommended blend of white glue and Epoxy for the entire assembly. Not including dry time I spent around 4.5 hours for the entire build over two days. FWIW, I hate foam safe CA for these projects, so just didn't use it. Mostly Epoxy, with some white glue used on the fuse joints.

The paint job is something to see. Joe asked what I wanted stenciled on it (cool option!) so I obviously chose the DW foamies logo and Flying Giants logo. The paint work and lines are really crisp and worth every penny. Contact Mike or Joe for a quote on your idea. They offer the base flame scheme for $50, with the stencils being extra. Pretty amazing work if you ask me.

On the most important part - flying - the Juka exceeded my expectations. I've flown a lot of foamies, most of which were smaller. Some I liked, some not so much. The BAF Juka flies exceptionally well. It has basically no coupling or rock. The pitch rate is quite fast, as is the roll rate. Plenty of control authority in all axis for full 3D flight. So far this is the best flying foamy I've ever touched.

Many thanks to Mike for designing such a great flying model, and Joe for the killer paint. Ryan White (AllBread) handled the camera work. He's getting pretty good at that! Thanks Ryan.

Scott
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; Oct 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2008, 11:34 AM
Build, fly, learn!
Thanks for the video, Scott!
Nice flying (as usual)!
You didn't tell us what prop you are using?
Oct 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
Scott Stoops
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB2
You didn't tell us what prop you are using?
Oops, the video was shot with an APC13x8e, although I've used everything from a 13x6.5 to a 14x8 on 3S.

Scott
Oct 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
USAF Retired
Exceptional flying Scott! I keep tellin' myself that if I keep practicing real hard that maybe someday I'll be that good!

Troy
Oct 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
Antonio Mendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
DW Foamies BAF Juka
Many thanks to Mike for designing such a great flying model, and Joe for the killer paint. Ryan White (AllBread) handled the camera work. He's getting pretty good at that! Thanks Ryan.

Scott

Once again, amazing flying Scott. I had the oportunity to fly Steve's model (big foamie from DW as well) and it is a great flying model. It was a bit windy when I flew it in the park and it handle really good. I landed it in the grass harrier mode and it was smooth, no rocking or with tendencies.

I have a DW foamie, one of the little ones and it handles really nice. It is among my favorite foamies. Will buy another one after I'm done with this one. They are cheap, very well designed and they fly really nice.

Thanks to DW foamies and to Scott for his abilities to make everything look so easy...
Oct 28, 2008, 03:15 PM
Scott,

We haven't had a chance to meet yet. I would love to pick your brain sometime at an event. :-) I just finished my Juka 48"....great plane!!!

- Richard
Oct 28, 2008, 03:59 PM
3DHS Junkie
Scott, could you post a pic of your aileron servo mounting?
Oct 28, 2008, 04:39 PM
Scott Stoops
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsmotors
Scott, could you post a pic of your aileron servo mounting?
Sure.

Scott
Oct 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
3DHS Junkie
Thanks Scott. I used the same servos but 3DHS long arms. I enden up with more angle than I'd like on the pushrods.
Oct 28, 2008, 05:31 PM
ExtremeFlight - 3DHS - Legacy
Really nice flying Scott, nice smooth video Ryan. The Juka is my new favorite foamy, Mike is doing fantastic work.

Sheesh...I guess I have to paint mine now.
Oct 28, 2008, 07:23 PM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Thanks for putting up the great video Scott, awesome job filming and flying!

Thanks to all for the support, when I thought of this I had no idea how popular it was going to be. I just wanted better power and run time. The joy I have gotten out of flying it has been HUGE! So a BIG THANKS TO MIKE AT DW! after I asked for this new size he had it re-designed cut and ready for me the next day. This plane ROCKS, and will make you a better pilot!! IMHO

A couple of notes that I would like to share. In the initial testing I found that hardware placement offers hage advantages if placed properly. Here is how I set my plane. My cg is 1 3/16" behind the spar, when setting the cg bolt your motor,prop, and speed controller first, then place your battery about 2 inches forward of the spar (towards the motor) this will then give you an Idea to where the servos in the tail go.

Having your gear spread this way will increase the stability
of the plane in high alpha flight, Knife edge ,and inverted flight.

Heres a pic of my planes bottom side with battery in place
I also included a detail of the linkage. I'm using a carbon rod that perfectly fits the hole of my quiklink with no slop.
Nov 24, 2008, 07:08 PM
first off, GREAT FLYING. Second, GREAT PAINT! you're making my choice hard, i'm on the fence between the 48 and the 55. all the videos i see of the 55 seem like it flies fine, but the few videos i've seen of the 48 are just amazing, but i think its pilot related. do you have any experience with the 55 on 3s to compare it to the 48?
Nov 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
Very nice paint job Scott. I have a 55" version of the Juka. Not sure why but no matter what I do to it it has wicked pitch coupling in KE. I have moved the CG, I have altered the wing incidence and finally i decided to just fly it. In every other way it is a blast to fly.
Nov 27, 2008, 09:42 AM
The Juka is the first plane I have ever had as a belly lander with a 14" prop. I have broken 3 props in my last 3 landings. Never had an issue before. Does the cold weather make the APC 14" prop more brittle and prone to break?
Dec 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
Dorked my Juka today. How well does white glue - elmers - work for repairing depron?
Last edited by mexico; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply