Oct 28, 2008, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
New Product

Hoffman magnetics new motors...testing and data to come!

Well here is half my shipment from hoffman motors. I am the second person to get these so far.Two mighty mite 60mm motors one wild beast 70mm motor. And later a week or so Ill have my second wild beast motor and two beast motors for 70mm.So far I just have weighed them for now. I have a brand spanking new thrust stand and data aquisition system to do testing with. My thrust stand will do all the way up to 55 lbs.
I picked the motors I have on hand to compare and test against each other. I dont have any neu 70mm motors or else those would be tested also. I do have a Lehner 70mm motor buts its in a jet and Im not messing with it as it runs great right now.
Hoffman "mighty mite" vs. LSJS in 60mm fans
1)lsjs weighs in at a super slim 1 3/4 oz or 51 grams and has a 4500kv rating. Its light and it works well, especially in the alpha 5 blade setups on 4s
2) Hoffman magnetics "mighty mite" motor weighs in at 2 1/2 oz. or 72grams. Its a bit longer of a motor standoff and it seems to be flawlessly wound.This entire motor has been dynamically balanced right down to the shaft and endbell. It puts out 2 lbs of thrust in an alpha 5blade fan and has a 4620kv rating at 650 watts. The gauge on the 60mm motors is just friggin awesome...more coathangar size wire even on these little guys!!
Between these two I dont know what the lsjs is rated to, but its a lot more than the 290 watts they display on their package. More like 500+ - watts in the same alpha 5-blade fan. Testing will see who comes out ahead. Dyno wise. But to be fair each motor will need to be tested in the same fan in the air to get real adequate test results.

Hoffman Magnetics "wild beast"vs. JS1400 70mm edfs
1)JS1400 weighs in at 5 1/4 oz or 152 grams. It carries a 3990 kv rating. For use on 4s in a 70mm fan will get you about 1400 watts on a 4500mah 25-30c lipo.Watts change depending on the fan you use also! This motor is built like a german King Tiger Tank!!! Its a bit heavy, but I have seen these in action and are the real deal when it comes to speed and power.
2)Hoffman magnetics "Wild beast" weighs in at 4 1/2 oz or 130grams and carries a super 4880kv rating. Running on 4s nets you 4lbs thrust and 1700 watts in a 70mm fan. This motor is uniquely designed. You will need to see them in person to really understand what I'm talking about cause pics just dont do it justice.
3)Arc 28-47-1 turn weighs in at 4 1/4 oz or 124 grams. Its rated at 4250 kv. It says 500 watts but we all know they run 1400 watts on a 4500 4s pack and on 5s are around 2 KW. These blow away their ratings. WAAAAY factory underated like GM engines!
All of these are weighed without the bullet connectors except the Arc as it already has them mounted.
The new Hoffman motors come with all the screws, o-rings, a hoff sticker and are presented in an awesome black plastic box that will be usefull in storing other motors or parts. The hoffman motors come with two levels of adjustment for the o-ring so they will fit into the various makes of fans easier. They can handle 600degrees F. As far as the composite standoff and end caps to the endbell are concerned. the endbell is a standard metal type. Hoffman does make two different sized 70mm motors. One is the wild beast and is listed above to run on 3-4s only. The other is the beast and has a bit less kv (4130) to be exact. These will get you 1700 watts also but go up to 4-5s lipo. They both weigh the same. Both are $112.00 each and the mighty mite is $76.00 each. They do have the "Titan" coming real soon for 90mm edf use also, but no specs just yet. These are real beauties. Ill be testing them all. Check out the pics below. I was lucky enough to be the second person to order these gems.
I cant wait to tear up the sky with these bad dogs. All the hoffmans stuff is made right here in the USA. The bearings and Neodymium magnets are imported from asia. But the rest is all done and made here!!
Anybody and everybody is welcome to post here with results of their setups of the above mentioned motors for comparison test results. I want to KEEP this thread clean and dont want any negative comments about any make of anyones motor wether it be Hoffman,JS,NEU,MEDUSA,ARC,LEHNER, etc..... These are all good motors so there is no need to bash anyones preference. And remeber these are tests and like all tests are subject to be different with different setups, ie: Fan "type", lipo c rating and capacity along with make and finally the ESC chosen to test with. So far I own about 10-12 js motors 4 being js1400 and the rest lsjs.Also I own various Neu motors,Lehner,Medusa,ARC,Hobbycity,Feigao,Het,Alig n,Scorpion,Mamba, and many others. My point being I own most different brands and enjoy all of them for one reason or another. Some are better than others. Some are cheaper than others. It just all depends on your budget and who you are more partial to. So being Fair Ill do my best to test all equally. I can see right now though what is gonna come out ahead just by the looks of it. If they can handle the 4s naturally the higher kv motors will net more watts. But will draw higher amps most likely. So testing them all Ill use a 120-125 amp esc and go from there. Along with flitepower 30c 4500 mah 4s packs. Ill use either my eagle tree data logging equipment or My Medusa stuff! All I can say is if you look at the wire gauge on the wild beast it looks like someone flawlessly wound a coat hangar gauge sized wire around and around!! It huge!! These really are works of Art. There will be zero chances of overheating these motors.Overall these seem to be extremely promising new motors. And its about time someone else stepped into the ring with new technology and design. It gives the other motor makers a shove to come up with even more new and exciting designs and winds.
Let the Fun begin!!!!
Last edited by lavochkin; Oct 28, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2008, 09:51 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
I'm looking forward to the 60mm benchtests. The Het-rc motor on my microjet has already worn bearings and dark colored wires after 5 flights!

Will you benchtest the Microfan too?

good luck!
Oct 28, 2008, 11:24 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
very cool dude, looking forward to the results!
Oct 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
Lost in Bermuda Triangle
Any word on when the fans will become available?

Ian
Oct 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
I'm not that impressed by the windings myself. There's a lot of air left in the stator in the pictures for more copper, optimally a motor should have enough gauge to fill the stator.
Oct 28, 2008, 01:09 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
i've messed around on hoffman magnetics website, and it sure makes them appear to be top notch. lavochkin's reports only re-inforce my early opinion of them. does anyone know a firm date of when they'll be available to the public?
Oct 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
Suspended Account
Is there any good way we could find out the
wasted energy in terms of heat?
That would be nice to know that because
if we have 75% efficiency that would be a huge
amount of heat out of 2000 watts. Talking
about 500 watts released in terms of heat.

Thanks
Oct 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
Classic jets rule
Oh this is going to be fun ...hey Joe got the mag....thanks man there are some good tips in there thanks
Oct 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdfly
Is there any good way we could find out the
wasted energy in terms of heat?
That would be nice to know that because
if we have 75% efficiency that would be a huge
amount of heat out of 2000 watts. Talking
about 500 watts released in terms of heat.

Thanks
wasting heat is relative. with powerlevels around 300W for a 60mm edf it is already hard to keep a small innerrunner from meltdown. The trade off for a cool running motor is a "tad" loss of efficiency. No gains without losses. I am already thrilled if I can't fry the motor. For the larger edf fans you have a point, but other factors like CG (for example an A10),costs come into play. Multiple outerrunners on a single controller is a cheaper solution as well.

Sometimes, efficiency is not prio #1.
Oct 28, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh Yeah!
Why is the extension so long on the 'Might'? It would seem that shorter would be better as it would put less of a moment on the edf housing.

Also when you do the tests please do the 'Wild Beast' on 3S as well.

Steve
Oct 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
lavochkin,

Are these motors now available for purchase by mere mortals as us?

Or are these just samples to get the info out to the RC Groups crowd.

Rick
Oct 28, 2008, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
wasting heat is relative. with powerlevels around 300W for a 60mm edf it is already hard to keep a small innerrunner from meltdown. The trade off for a cool running motor is a "tad" loss of efficiency. No gains without losses. I am already thrilled if I can't fry the motor. For the larger edf fans you have a point, but other factors like CG (for example an A10),costs come into play. Multiple outerrunners on a single controller is a cheaper solution as well.

Sometimes, efficiency is not prio #1.
well, if efiiciency is up there like 85% eff from
a motor vs. another one with 75% eff
then you see the big difference
500 watts - 300 watts = 200 watts (energy saving
out of 2000 watts). That is a lot :-0
Oct 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BermudaTriangle
Any word on when the fans will become available?

Ian
When I talked to the guys at hoffman they told me that they're shooting for an april release for the fans.
Oct 28, 2008, 08:00 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
I was wondering when a thread would start I have a Mighty mite 60mm and the regular version of the 70mm Beast coming for me

Don
Oct 28, 2008, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
These are for sale now!!! Just call Hoffman magnetics at 1-818/717-5095
http://hoffmanmagnetics.com/
I put my order in at I-hobby. Thats how mine came so fast.Im going back for even more now!!! LOL!!

Quick Reply