Mar 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
Turn 'N Burn
What is the best way to mount the motor? Homemade? Plastic part? Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2009, 10:34 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMan
This is my Firefly - I didn't use LeadFeathers exact specs but I used what I had and here it is!

6M Depron
Turnigy 2204-14 19g Outrunner
Futaba FASST Micro
H2o Spray Paint

I only have one flight on it because it's been windy here. Fast and a little hard to fly. I think with duel rates and a little expo will calm things down a bit.

The tail is very flexable too. I'm afrade to pick it up by the tail to launch it because the flex. I may add a carbon fiber rod to stiffen it up.

Thanks for the great plans! I'm going to add USAF decals on the top
The FireFly wasn't really designed to be lifted by the tail for launch. Better to frisbee launch as shown in this video...very easy:

FireFly launch (0 min 51 sec)

Some guys have stiffened the aft section of the wing due to flexing at high speed. Seems to be due to differences in epp foam stiffness. I like the bracing Adreher has adopted as shown in his video a few posts above.
Mar 18, 2009, 11:19 AM
Jack
Put a peg near the edge on the tip and you can sling launch it, like a DLG glider launch.

Jack
Mar 18, 2009, 12:25 PM
FPV for Me
Looks good... As far as the launch goes, hold it like you are throwing a frisbee and give it a gentle toss at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

You can see in this video how to launch a FireFly..

Mar 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
I still prefer the head torque roll launch, but that's just me
Mar 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher
Too funny!

Now if you could catch it that way too...
Mar 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
FPV for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreher

I am a bit older and know better LOL
Mar 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
BUILDIN-FLYIN-CRASHIN-FUN
leadfeather, i would say you got that firefly setup perfect. trimmed absolutely right-on. good video.
Mar 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
FPV for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
The FireFly wasn't really designed to be lifted by the tail for launch. Better to frisbee launch as shown in this video...very easy:

Some guys have stiffened the aft section of the wing due to flexing at high speed. Seems to be due to differences in epp foam stiffness. I like the bracing Adreher has adopted as shown in his video a few posts above.

Sorry didn't see you had posted how to launch when I posted... Don't know how I missed it
Mar 22, 2009, 08:29 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
Sorry didn't see you had posted how to launch when I posted... Don't know how I missed it
No worries mate. I always like looking at other folks techniques and tricks...keep'm coming!
Mar 23, 2009, 10:33 AM
dwaynenancy
How do you keep the H2O paint from spitting? Dwayne
Mar 23, 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynenancy
How do you keep the H2O paint from spitting? Dwayne
I haven't used it but a friend did and said it needed to be warm, certainly not cold and shaken very well. You might consider placing the can in warm water and see if that helps.

RCNXS
Mar 24, 2009, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Sounds like this motor may be a good substitute for the 1500 kV BW.

Running cooler is a good sign. It could mean it has better cooling. It could also mean it is more efficient and produces less heat in the first place.

It'd be nice if someone with a test rig could run this motor and get the stats on thrust efficiency etc.
My first impressions of the New Turnigy motor. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1022444
Mar 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
FPV for Me
I have setup 15 planes with this motor and have not had any bad ones...
Mar 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
FPV for Me

Got a New Stiff FireFly

I have a friend that likes to push his planes to the extreme.
So I build him an extra stiff FireFly. I think he was going to put a 3000kv motor on it with a 6x4 prop. This should be interesting to see.

I placed 5 spars in this plane, 3 buried into the fuse section.
And the larger ones into the KF before it was glued in place.

As you can see from the pics there will be no flex in the rudder section at all, or any other part of this plane.

It was a bit overcast when I took the outside pics, much brighter in the sun..
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Mar 24, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply