Apr 07, 2017, 07:55 AM
Late to the game - I had a superflea so this looks fun - is there a full kit for this ?? (Epp)

Thanks
Last edited by jimklein; Apr 07, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2017, 08:56 AM
Plans to make your own are on the very first post, and Kits are available at Fancyfoam here :

http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.com/FireFly_p_45.html
Apr 07, 2017, 01:39 PM
Foam is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
BAD! It's the step that makes the KF work.
Thanks Gene. I suspected as much. BTW, i'm on my 4th nutball. Black epp = THE BLACKBALL!
Apr 08, 2017, 03:37 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
With a little practice you can get nice clean transitions on the KFm step with either laminating film or tape.

Also goldguy is spot on (as would be expect) without the step it would work very well. It is the step that makes the KFm wing what it is, no step no turbulence which is what creates the stability of the KF wing.

I build in Depron not EPP and very often use laminating film, it does not add much weight but adds a massive amount stiffness to a Kfm wing.

Has anyone tried this at 36" with either a KFm2 or KFm4 wing?
Last edited by Hookit; Apr 08, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Sep 18, 2017, 08:36 PM
Foam is good.
I just finished my Firefly and flew it. Very nice for slow speed fun. But... I built this one for outdoor and i'm having issues with the plane climbing aggressively when more than Half throttle is applied. Anyway I can tame the lift on the wing? Its already running nose heavy. What a good CG for outdoors? I don't plan on flying this one indoors anytime soon.

I would like it to climb under full throttle but a lot less than it does right now. Full throttle will make it almost go vertical. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Setup:
Standard firefly built from kit.
Blue Wonder motor
8x4 gws dd prop
2 cell 500-800mah
Sep 18, 2017, 10:34 PM
flyin' fool
Motor thrust angles or CG??
Sep 18, 2017, 11:44 PM
flyin' fool
CG calc........

http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/

http://rcwingcog.a0001.net/?i=2
Sep 18, 2017, 11:48 PM
flyin' fool
The best never fail cg 'dive test' .......................

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=20444
Sep 19, 2017, 10:46 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Great link!

I just printed that to PDF and sent it to my phone. That way I have a document to reference while I'm out at the flying field.
Sep 19, 2017, 11:58 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDaddy
I just finished my Firefly and flew it. Very nice for slow speed fun. But... I built this one for outdoor and i'm having issues with the plane climbing aggressively when more than Half throttle is applied. Anyway I can tame the lift on the wing? Its already running nose heavy. What a good CG for outdoors? I don't plan on flying this one indoors anytime soon.

I would like it to climb under full throttle but a lot less than it does right now. Full throttle will make it almost go vertical. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Setup:
Standard firefly built from kit.
Blue Wonder motor
8x4 gws dd prop
2 cell 500-800mah
Raising the motor up higher so the thrust line is above the pitch axis will have a down thrust effect .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 19, 2017 at 02:38 PM.
Sep 19, 2017, 03:16 PM
This has the high thrust line with maybe 2 degrees of down thrust (end motor shaft is slightly up) I believe it helps in a higher speed/outdoor setup. This one goes great outdoors and is very pitch stable, no excessive climb under power issues.

This is the 3rd rebuild on this airframe. The first version had the step was in the stock location and the motor mount was on the centerline. I also noticed that it would climb under power and had cg issues when I tried to speed it up.

It is great in its stock configuration for indoor and slow fly. I've seen a video of Leadfeathers plane out doors hauling the mail but I never achieved that with the stock build.

I wound up removing the tail, flipping the plane so the step is on top, adding Superfly type verticals, raising the motor, adding a coro deck and a bunch of carbon and bamboo.

Name: 20170919_133310.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 537.6 KB
Description:
Sep 19, 2017, 03:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Your link doesn't work .....

Now it does !
Nov 06, 2019, 04:30 AM
flyin' fool
It's indoor season again!!!

Quick Reply