Name: 20160303_105553.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 444.1 KB
Description:

Name: 20160303_105517.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 498.5 KB
Description:

I think I'm going to try it first and see how it slows down first before I change it. I built it without the elavon mod for outdoor. I may add it depending on how it rolls. Easy surgery with epp.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2016, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
Not sure which 2208 you have but most of those are a bit heavier and they range up into 9" props on some...
Its a 2208 1800kv with a HQ 6x4.5. It will do the hand twirl trick and is fast enough for me so I am in good shape there. It also slows down enough and I think I will be good for our large indoor venue. The rolls were good. The rudder throw needed to be reduced. Only issue is that when I took it out to the big field and was trying to do some smooth circuits it kept pulling right. Even with alot of left trim, the faster I went it seemed it needed more, then going slower it pulled left. I did a close medium speed pass and realized the right wing was drooping in the middle. That explained that. Just installed some carbon and will give it another shot.
Last edited by Gregco10; Mar 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Mar 11, 2016, 06:23 PM
It looks like the carbon did the trick to sure up the wing. I flew at a small field today and re trimmed it. It seems ok now. My next ? Is how much reflex is usually run. Its the original size, 1.3# epp and a 1300 3s. The cg is at about 7.5 which about answers my own question. Anything further back from that and its a wild ride in any breeze. 7.5 locks it in. But requires about 1/2 inch of reflex.
Mar 11, 2016, 07:16 PM
Original instructions say starting cg 8.5" for outdoor use to 9.5" for indoor use. and elevons up 1/8" on the left side and 1/4" on the right, to counteract motor/prop torque. But having never built this one I can only go by what Leadfeather posted. I still have the original superfly and superflea from Superflyrc and these may last forever...... I'm not even sure what i'd do with a rudder....
Mar 11, 2016, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Original instructions say starting cg 8.5" for outdoor use to 9.5" for indoor use. and elevons up 1/8" on the left side and 1/4" on the right, to counteract motor/prop torque. But having never built this one I can only go by what Leadfeather posted. I still have the original superfly and superflea from Superflyrc and these may last forever...... I'm not even sure what i'd do with a rudder....
I might go to that and see how it does. I kind of just trimmed it until it felt ok not to the recommended spec. I just hope the foam I used is not too floppy and is twisting in some other plane I can't identify. Its not a big deal since as it is I'm ok with it, as it is I just think it could be a little better.

I do agree I also love the Flea and want to build a proper Superfly eventually.
Mar 11, 2016, 08:23 PM
Do you have the old twin motor superflea or the newer single motor prop in slot hyperflea? I've always wanted to convert the twin brushed motor superflea to the brushless hyperflea
Mar 11, 2016, 08:55 PM
Single motor prop in slot, 18 inch shrunk Firefly with twin fixed vert stabs instead of a rudder. It's dtf not from a kit. Its the orange one I posted just recently here. I call it a Flea since it is small and similiar. I didnt realize the original was a brushed twin, cool history. I've been flying it alot lately, very fun little plane.
Mar 11, 2016, 09:15 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Cg and tuning are personal preferences. I tune for minimum pilot workload.

For indoor flying with the 9.5" cg it settles into nice high alpha flying automatically for cruising around. Power up, loop and roll then powe back down to cruise around again with minimal pilot work load.

For outdoor flying; cg forward at 8.5 inches; trim elevons/pitch so the plane is hands off at full throttle. This makes flying fast easy and smooth. You'll need some back stick pressure for slow flying with this set up. Overall this makes it the least work for me to fly well outdoors.

Hope this helps...at least to understand my logic
Mar 11, 2016, 10:14 PM
It does make sense, I'm in a small field so full throttle is only in short bursts. Its mostly at 1/2 or so, so my uptrimmed elavons are keeping it straight and level at that speed. I'll probably have to trim down going faster at the bigger field.
Mar 15, 2016, 07:12 PM
This is all in one day, the first two are earlier and windy, the last is later in calm weather. I wasn't paying attention at the end of the second vid, put it down hard and broke the motor mount. It seems pretty good now with the extra carbon, I just need some more time flying it. This one is pretty lightly loaded for me and really requires you pay attention in a small space when its windy.

Firefly epp delta with rudder Greg006 (2 min 58 sec)

Firefly delta Greg006 Emax turnigy windy (4 min 14 sec)

Firefly epp delta Greg006 better conditions (8 min 53 sec)
Dec 03, 2016, 03:54 AM
flyin' fool
Bump for indoor builders.................
Dec 04, 2016, 09:37 AM
The Firefly is a great little plane for indoors or outdoors!
Apr 07, 2017, 12:37 AM
Foam is good.
I'm building an outdoor Firefly and plan on covering it. Will the performance of the KF airfoil be compromised if I bevel it and sand it for a smooth transition to the rear of the fuse. It would also make it easier to cover or laminate. Good idea or bad?
Apr 07, 2017, 04:31 AM
flyin' fool
BAD! It's the step that makes the KF work.
Apr 07, 2017, 06:22 AM
Covering isn't needed nor a good idea, it adds weight. They will fly outside very well as designed. We use them for full contact combat all the time. I have flown mine in winds up to 10/15mph. Much over that they don't want to stay on the ground. Look back through the thread, you will find several vids of it being flown outside.

L.

Quick Reply