Oct 26, 2008, 04:57 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Thanks for the list...If I was making an 18"WS, I would go for a 15g motor with a 6x3 GWS prop, 5g servos,6g Esc and a 8g rx.

If you use the 480mA ThunderPower 2S 23g lipos with that combination of bits 120G should be no problem
That should work fine.

With an 18" wing span, the wing area is about half of a 24" span build. So at about half the weight , the wing loading would end up about the same.

All those same components on a really light 24" (1.3# density epp) would probably fly much slower.
Last edited by leadfeather; Oct 26, 2008 at 05:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
That should work fine.

With an 18" wing span, the wing area is about half of a 24" span build. So at about half the weight , the wing loading would end up about the same.

All those same components on a really light 24" (1.3# density epp) would probably fly much slower.
Those Blue Wonders are really loud motors, until you re-wind them. 11T24AWG is very quiet and a white knuckle event worth of power.
I really like this design, nicely done. Last time I used PU glue with EPP, it blead up through the pours in the foam when it expanded, but that was 1.3# and in had a glue rash I like welder for EPP but for laminate bond it my be a bit heavy, I think Dekan has the right idea with 3M77 type product.

Thanks for sharing
Ron
Oct 26, 2008, 08:21 AM
I had a similar idea about a year ago. Finished this this summer elevon only never hooking up the rudder. Flew fine until looping then death spiral. This is the one I switched servos to in my SD. Now realizing I have a problem there as one must hang up as it does the same. This was quiet and did fine on elevon. You are inspiring me to dig it back out at some point. About a 20" Hyperflea copy. I offer it as it is quiet on the tractor with plenty of authority on a 17g 2s with gws 7060 prop.
Oct 26, 2008, 08:25 AM
By the way, have you seen this video?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1150
Oct 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Yes.... but more impressed with Davereaps SF clone with U/G https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&page=4&pp=10
Oct 26, 2008, 09:05 AM
Removable gear + rudder + tractor would be great to me.
Oct 26, 2008, 09:37 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Windy flying

I just got back from flying. The wind came up earlier than I had hoped but it turned out that wind is not much of a concern at all. This thing is very fast and very smooth flying.

Today I also experimented with different battery sizes. Indoors I liked the 800 mAh 2s the best and a smaller battery (if I had one) may have been better still. Outdoors today I went from 1000 mAh to 1300 mAh to 2200 mAh all 3s; all flew great! Even with the 2200, the thrust to weight is gretar tha1:1...big climb outs! That means I can fly every single battery I own on this plane.

The speed and climb outs have to be seen to be appreciated. I took some video and will post soon...hopefully it'll come out OK.

My FB also bought a new on board camera. We stuck it on the belly of the FireFly next to the battery and got some footage. If it turns out, I'll post that footage too.
Oct 26, 2008, 10:39 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Outdoor video

The video doesn't really do the FireFly justice but it will give you an idea of how it flies in the wind.

FireFly Outdoors (2 min 6 sec)
Oct 26, 2008, 10:43 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Very nice Dan, great little plane... impressed with performance on a 1300Kv BW.

My Superflea is a rocket on a Ele C20 2500Kv 3s with a 4x4 GWS prop..So much so, that I mainly fly 2s with a Graupner 5.5x4.5 Cam prop...it keeps the laundry bill down....

Hmm Firefly....Superflea Ele-c20.......
Last edited by dekan; Oct 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
Oct 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Nice, that thing is as fast as it is loud!

Ron
Oct 26, 2008, 03:15 PM
Look outside the Square
Looks and flys Great Lead. As Dekan says, the 1300 Kv BW definately has some poke. Congrats.

B x
Oct 26, 2008, 04:33 PM
Well fellas, lead ain't lyin'. I have flown this little plane twice now, once inside and once outside in a lot of wind. It really is a fun little plane. No surprise though, lead always makes good stuff and its based off of 2 already we known good fliers (superfly and kf parkjet). The really great thing about it is how incredibly easy it is to build and how versatile and cheap it is (using the blue wonder and can handle from 800mah 2s up to 2200mah 3s). How easy is it to build adreher? Well, this afternoon at about 1:00 lead gave me a big piece of epp with the plane traced out, and now at 4:30 I have the airframe done (including the painting).

And sadly Lead, through a series of event I no longer have the video from this morning, some how (I'm sure it wasn't from anything I did) it got deleted.

Here is the second FireFly;
Oct 26, 2008, 08:40 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Box, Ron, Dave thanks for the praise!

Adam, that is absolutely awesome! Wow wow wow, what a great paint job!

That was also some pretty quick building too. There is not much to sticking one of these birds together.
Oct 26, 2008, 08:56 PM
thanks Dan,

Well from a single piece of foam early this afternoon to a maiden tonight, it was my fastest build. I got one battery through it tonight in the gym. It flew great. I have to say, I like it a lot more when it is my plane so I can actually push it a bit. I was pretty happy, I was getting the rolling harrier going, Don style. I was going to grab a video of the second flight but the wires from the esc pulled off of the deans connector, SUCK! Oh well, love the plane. Here are a few finished pics.
Oct 26, 2008, 09:15 PM
Dan makes some cool planes, but what nice artwork adeher. I would never want to fly it.

Dan, I really like the rudder you put on that. I missed it on the park jet as I usually don't look too much at them. You sure have been busy lately.

Quick Reply