Nov 28, 2008, 08:10 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Thanks for the info guys.

Aranel, Glad you like the F22...but this is a very good model...I love the Superfly and Lead's Firefly seems to have some of the same magic.

It's getting to the top of my "to build list."
Last edited by dekan; Nov 28, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2008, 08:47 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel
snip...
I put wire tie supports in the middle of the pushrod and went to a big park. I got it trimmed and it does fly very well. Pretty slow too. I used a 400 mah 2c and ran for about 10 minutes with the blue wonder 1300kv and 9-6 prop. Very mild mannered. Would not do loops or rolls very well with the low rates though. I will be playing with those the next nice day. Thanks so much for all the help. She truely is worth the build. Nice relaxing flyer.

...snip

Aranel
I'm so glad yo got it working better! I would like to see a pic of how you supported the control rods....I'm alays on the look out for new/better techniques.

Dan
Nov 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
All I do is cut inch or however long u need piece of zip tie and push it into the foam halfway from servo to hinge. Pull it out put on a dab of hot glue then press back in. Take a piece of pushrod - heat up the end then press through the plastic. It has to be lighter than cf and skewers. Give it a try - has always worked for me. Don't know why I didn't try it sooner. She is looking worse for wear now.... better build another lol

Aranel
Nov 29, 2008, 04:19 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranel
All I do is cut inch or however long u need piece of zip tie and push it into the foam halfway from servo to hinge. Pull it out put on a dab of hot glue then press back in. Take a piece of pushrod - heat up the end then press through the plastic. It has to be lighter than cf and skewers. Give it a try - has always worked for me. Don't know why I didn't try it sooner. She is looking worse for wear now.... better build another lol

Aranel
That is a good idea for a support; I will definitely add that to my "bag of tricks". I especially like any thing that is so simple and saves weight too.

She's not as pretty now but a quick rhinoplasty and she'll be as good as new.
Nov 29, 2008, 10:43 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Here are a couple of images of my first attempt at a build and paint on a FireFly. I am using this as more of a prototype to get the technique down. I always learn after building the first one. I have the second unit built and am in the process of trying to figure out a paint scheme. Unlike adreher's the paint is sure not coming very natural to me. How about some schooling adreher!
Nov 29, 2008, 11:48 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
MW, Its a lot better than I can do...What colours the underside..KF step on the bottom?
Nov 29, 2008, 12:57 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
dekan,
I took the quick way out. I did not paint the bottom. I did want to try and keep it so the top and bottom were different so I could disdinguish when flying.

I do have to give credit to my 13 year old son for the design on the wing. It was all him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
MW, Its a lot better than I can do...What colours the underside..KF step on the bottom?
Nov 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
I like the paint job. It will look nice in the air.

aranel
Nov 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeaver
dekan,
I took the quick way out. I did not paint the bottom. I did want to try and keep it so the top and bottom were different so I could disdinguish when flying.

I do have to give credit to my 13 year old son for the design on the wing. It was all him!
I like the paint job, too. Your son did a terrific job. He is very creative.
Dick Kline
Nov 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
Mark,

Looks great! I like the design. Can't wait to see you out there tearing it up.
Nov 29, 2008, 10:07 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I do need to clarify one thing. The design on the wing was sketched out by my son. The design on the tail was a template that I purchased. I noticed the price really went up from when I purchased awhile back.

Click Here to Visit Dixie Art

Mark
Nov 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Servo position wire length

When installing your elevon servos be sure not to space them too wide...unless you want to add servo extension wires. For the reccomended 5 gram servos they ended up just inside the slot towards center. The arm puts the push rod just outside the slot.

It is a good idea to hook the servos up to the receiver before marking and cutting the servo position, just to make sure you don't leave your self short on wire length.
Nov 30, 2008, 06:18 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Any artist out there?

I thought it might be fun to come up with a FireFly logo. Anything has got to be better than mine below...I am not an artist.
Nov 30, 2008, 06:25 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Calling......Gpw
Nov 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
Crash Master
Hard to argue with

http://www.fireflyonline.com/promenade/thong.jpg

Quick Reply