Nov 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Do the walls EVER come up slower than you expect?

Jerry
Ha, so true!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2008, 07:16 PM
Im a little concerned with my build.

My airframe is 1.3EPP and weighs 2.5oz no electronics. With my 150watt motor, 850 3S, 2x HS55, X20 ESc it is going to weigh ~9oz. Can the airframe handle that power to weight?

Any help would be appreciated
Nov 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
Here is a pic of it hanging below my JSW.
Nov 14, 2008, 07:45 PM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
Im a little concerned with my build.

My airframe is 1.3EPP and weighs 2.5oz no electronics. With my 150watt motor, 850 3S, 2x HS55, X20 ESc it is going to weigh ~9oz. Can the airframe handle that power to weight?

Any help would be appreciated

I'd say give it a try. Start slow and easy and see how it looks/feels/flies. If everything is good, gradually test with more speed and more aggressive manouveres. If everything is fine your done. If there is too much flexing or other distortion, adding some reinforcement would not be hard to do.
Last edited by leadfeather; Nov 15, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
Nov 15, 2008, 10:21 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
I had the opportunity to fly adreherís FireFly last night and I must say I was very impressed. I would consider myself a novice to intermediate pilot so no fancy maneuvers were attempted with the exception of a roll. I was skeptical before taking the sticks that the FireFly would be impossible for me to fly; however I was quite surprised! The FireFly was actually very manageable even with my relatively low stick time, and this being the first plane that I have flown indoors with the exception of a Vapor. Of course the paint job alone on adreherís FireFly makes a novice pilot look like an expert!

I am currently in the process of building my own FireFly. I would make one suggestion to anyone building a FireFly for the first time. Make sure to order EPP large enough to cut the complete airfoil without having to splice two pieces together. This is the first EPP plane I have constructed so I am not real crazy about splicing pieces together. I used Welders glue and I am hoping that will be strong enough for the butt joint going down the centerline of the wing.

One of the greatest parts about the FireFly is how cheap it is to build including the guts if you take leadfeatherís advice and go with the cheap stuff.

One other thing I would like to mention and that is to say thanks to adreher and leadfeather for sharing their information and knowledge with the RC community. It is nice to have these great resources to tap into; it really shortens the learning curve. They have already been there done that so they know what works and what doesnít.

Tailwinds,
MWeaver
Last edited by MWeaver; Nov 16, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Nov 16, 2008, 08:45 AM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeaver
I had the opportunity to fly adreherís FireFly last night and I must say I was very impressed. I would consider myself a novice to intermediate pilot so no fancy maneuvers were attempted with the exception of a roll. I was skeptical before taking the sticks that the FireFly would be impossible for me fly; however I was quite surprised! The FireFly was actually very manageable even with my relatively low stick time, and this being the first plane that I have flown indoors with the exception of a Vapor. Of course the paint job alone on adreherís FireFly makes a novice pilot look like an expert!

I am currently in the process of building my own FireFly. I would make one suggestion to anyone building a FireFly for the first time. Make sure to order EPP large enough to cut the complete airfoil without having to splice two pieces together. This is the first EPP plane I have constructed so I am not real crazy about splicing pieces together. I used Welders glue and I am hoping that will be strong enough for the butt joint going down the centerline of the wing.

One of the greatest parts about the FireFly is how cheap it is to build including the guts if you take leadfeatherís advice and go with the cheap stuff.

One other thing I would like to mention and that is to say thanks to adreher and leadfeather for sharing their information and knowledge with the RC community. It is nice to have these great resources to tap into; it really shortens the learning curve. They have already been there done that so they know what works and what doesnít.

Tailwinds,
MWeaver
Mark, Thanks for the flight report and the kind words!

Splicing the epp with Welders is really no big deal. For a little added strength at the seams, just run a very small bead on the top and bottom of the seam and smooth it down a little...similar to the Welders hinge technique. This should give a joint as strong as the foam itself. The only small penalty is a little weight gain from the glue itself so use just enough to get the job done.

Good luck with your build.

Dan
Nov 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
I decided to try a similar test posted in the following thread by High Flyin' which can be viewed here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=855. I can now safely say my confidence level with butt joining two pieces of EPP with Welders glue is extremly high. I don't think the glue joint will be a factor at all.

Mark
Last edited by MWeaver; Nov 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
Nov 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
OK Im going with a Blue Wonder instead of the Hacker (overkill). Just got the blue wonder in the mail. I ran some numbers through motor calc and realized my mistake.

Ill let you know how maiden goes.
Nov 16, 2008, 04:14 PM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
OK Im going with a Blue Wonder instead of the Hacker (overkill). Just got the blue wonder in the mail. I ran some numbers through motor calc and realized my mistake.

Ill let you know how maiden goes.
The BW is a good match for this design I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Are you staying with the 1.3# epp airframe? I'm curious because I have thought about building a lite version of the FireFly specifically for indoor flying using the same foam. The weight savings would be about 30 grams.
Nov 16, 2008, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
The BW is a good match for this design I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Are you staying with the 1.3# epp airframe? I'm curious because I have thought about building a lite version of the FireFly specifically for indoor flying using the same foam. The weight savings would be about 30 grams.
Yes I kept the 1.3 EPP AUW no battery came to 5.5oz

I flew 2 batteries through it today, its a floater for sure. Thanks for the plans. Heres a couple of pics before maiden earlier today.
Nov 16, 2008, 07:47 PM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes I kept the 1.3 EPP AUW no battery came to 5.5oz

I flew 2 batteries through it today, its a floater for sure. Thanks for the plans. Heres a couple of pics before maiden earlier today.
Congrtulations!

That is a nice light plane, nicely done. I would like to here more on how your light weight build does indoor and out.

BTW the tape you've added to the slot is a good idea. It is something I've done to mine. For builds that use a prop saver, the foam on the edges of the slot is vulnerable to prop strikes.
Nov 19, 2008, 08:14 PM
OK I must say this is the most fun plane I have. The EPP F22 was the best until now.

On 3S 450mAh this thing can fly super slow and not even be in high alpha. Not to mention its a rocket when you punch it. Ive also run an 3S 850mAh and its just a little heavier but not as floaty. Im going to try an 3S 1800 next.

Thanks again.
Nov 20, 2008, 02:24 AM
Winging it “>
Thread OP
Quote:
OK I must say this is the most fun plane I have. The EPP F22 was the best until now.

On 3S 450mAh this thing can fly super slow and not even be in high alpha. Not to mention its a rocket when you punch it. Ive also run an 3S 850mAh and its just a little heavier but not as floaty. Im going to try an 3S 1800 next.

Thanks again.
J2, That sounds really good, I'm glad the lighter foam is working out. I might have to build a lite version of the FireFly myself now!
Nov 20, 2008, 07:54 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
We >may< have an indoor site

leadfeather,
Motor pitch / offset?
Plans call for motor 0/0, yet set elevon eight-inch reflex plus eight-inch (quarter total) right trim.
Observation? Suggestion?

ďMy airframe is 1.3EPP and weighs 2.5oz no electronics.Ē, j2m2t2
Wing span?
Nov 20, 2008, 09:39 AM
chaosMurphy

24inch ws

Quick Reply