Mar 05, 2010, 10:59 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
I noticed that there are a couple of different plans for the FireFly. It looks like the elevons are the only difference between them. Which is the preferred plan to build from?
Daddy-O
Daddy-O, The plans in post #1 on this thread are the most up to date and have counterbalances on the elevons. The counter balances were an addition pioneered by Adreher and made the rolls very axial.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2010, 11:05 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMan
GREAT WEATHER today! I probably used and charged 15 packs!!! Here is my take at the Globetrotter Firefly. It was a lot of fun. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqnfhdidsfo
Nice Globetrotting BladeMan.

sonicj, congratulations on the maiden of your pink FireFy! What type and thickness of foam did you use?
Mar 05, 2010, 12:11 PM
John 3:16
Thanks leadfeather. I'm printing the plans now.
Daddy-O
Mar 05, 2010, 11:33 PM
Well, I printed, taped, cut (made more permanent stencils), then cut out my first FireFly. What an easy plane to cut out. I'm working on a paint scheme now. Painting tomorrow and possibly gluing and electronics. If all goes well, I'll maiden on Monday while I'm at the beach.
Daddy-O
Mar 06, 2010, 11:12 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Well, I printed, taped, cut (made more permanent stencils), then cut out my first FireFly. What an easy plane to cut out. I'm working on a paint scheme now. Painting tomorrow and possibly gluing and electronics. If all goes well, I'll maiden on Monday while I'm at the beach.
Daddy-O
Good luck Daddy-O

Wish I could join you on the beach for the maiden flight.
Mar 06, 2010, 11:19 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
I'm working on two new firefly's. I'd like to glue the motor mount to the bottom instead of the top. Has anyone experience with top vs bottom vs center mounted motors?

Azarr
Mar 06, 2010, 11:23 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
I'm working on two new firefly's. I'd like to glue the motor mount to the bottom instead of the top. Has anyone experience with top vs bottom vs center mounted motors?

Azarr
For an elevon type plane I like a higher thrust line. With the plane is trimmed so the elevons are slightly up, the high thrust line and elevons balance each other so as to help prevent a lot of nose up at higher throttle settings.
Mar 06, 2010, 12:01 PM
Talking about motor thrust lines, do you mount the motor straight down the center, or are you adjusting it a little in one direction or other?
Daddy-O
Mar 06, 2010, 12:21 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Talking about motor thrust lines, do you mount the motor straight down the center, or are you adjusting it a little in one direction or other?
Daddy-O
straight down the center.
Mar 06, 2010, 01:30 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
For an elevon type plane I like a higher thrust line. With the plane is trimmed so the elevons are slightly up, the high thrust line and elevons balance each other so as to help prevent a lot of nose up at higher throttle settings.

Thanks, I figured you probably needed the down thrust. I was trying to avoid just gluing the mount to the top of my paint without any reinforcement, however, I guess I'll just work around it.

Azarr
Mar 06, 2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
straight down the center.
Thanks, lead. Straight down the center it is then.
Daddy-O
Mar 06, 2010, 09:24 PM
I Love RC

Quick Question

Picked up some Sumo glue at Lowes tonight. Do you guys moistion one side of the foam for laminating or apply the glue dry? Which works the best?
Thanks.
Mar 06, 2010, 10:08 PM
PanterA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoores
Picked up some Sumo glue at Lowes tonight. Do you guys moistion one side of the foam for laminating or apply the glue dry? Which works the best?
Thanks.
My local Lowes has a ton of "welders" glue and after building my 42" yak with it I will never use anything but welders with epp. After I figured out a little goes a long way on hinges, it has held up perfect.
Mar 06, 2010, 10:16 PM
I Love RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory76044
My local Lowes has a ton of "welders" glue and after building my 42" yak with it I will never use anything but welders with epp. After I figured out a little goes a long way on hinges, it has held up perfect.
I'm not using EPP.....I'm using polystyrene and welders will melt this foam.
Mar 06, 2010, 10:31 PM
five by five
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoores
Thanks.
i use gorilla glue which is pretty much the same. i dampen one side, apply glue thinly to other, then clamp. the wetter you get it, the more it foams. the more it foams, the less dense the glue becomes. you can use very little glue with very little mess once you get the hang of using the foaming action to your advantage.

fwiw, i always sand lightly & clean both surfaces prior to gluing.

Quick Reply