Feb 19, 2003, 10:47 PM
Piscine Promulgator

40MPH Winds in Santa Barbara Today :)

Well, today was my first day back in the air after a many-year layoff, but man was it exciting! I went up to the Knapp's Castle flying spot in the Santa Ynez Mountain range north of Santa Barbara, CA, with Michael Richter of the Weasel fame.

This spot has a beautiful view of Lake Cachuma and the Santa Ynez Valley, and today it had some pretty heavy (for around here, anyways) winds to boot! We were getting sustained 35-40MPH winds for a good portion of the time, too much for my little Sig Ninja clone to handle...but I got my first introduction to Dynamic Soaring, and man was that insane! Nothing like seeing an all-fiberglass lead sled pulling 109MPH (on the radar gun) top turns...I can only imagine how fast it was going on the bottom.

Mother Nature was really going off today because we had some pretty heavy fog, then some rain, and then, what luck, a beautiful clearing of the skies, a backing off of the breeze (down to probably 20MPH or so), and I was able to fly! Michael helped me get back up to speed (it's been about 7-8 years since I flew last, and I was just then getting into flying aileron planes), and then I was getting my lazy eights on bigtime. What fun! I even pulled a couple nice little aileron rolls--no big deal, but I was stoked all the same.

So all in all, what an awesome day of flying! I didn't wreck my plane, I got to see DSing in person, I was introduced to a new flying spot, and most importantly I met some local slopers. How cool is that?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Sounds like a good place to fly.
Mar 16, 2008, 10:44 PM
I heard there's good mountain biking nearby too

Funny how these threads are like little time capsules.

Lance
Mar 16, 2008, 11:19 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Where's that thread necromancy card when I need it?

Steve
Mar 17, 2008, 12:03 AM
characters welcome!
What's kinda funny is that this was a one post thread for five years.

mw
Mar 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
Obsessed
Wonder what his post count was back then. 153?
Mar 17, 2008, 12:33 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Get The Newbie!!!!!!!!!!!!