Nov 02, 2008, 05:32 PM
If it flies, I crash it!

Relax?

Pat,

Just what do you do to relax?
I build model aircraft and sometimes fly them!
Today...I flew a kite with my son and his friend.

Daniel
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm IN!!!! Wanted a *&$% DUmasS kit, but they were pulled from the market.. where do I need to send my Paypal Pat??
Nov 02, 2008, 09:15 PM
i think as soon as the kit is available, and more ppl build it, this is going to be a very popular plane! Its for sure going to be the cherry in my stable
Nov 04, 2008, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Pat,

Just what do you do to relax?
I build model aircraft and sometimes fly them!
Today...I flew a kite with my son and his friend.

Daniel
Daniel, I've been known to do a few things. There's a small group that I get together and fly with on Friday mornings. Even if we can't fly due to weather it's always a fun couple hours just chewing the fat. Hanging out at the boat pond on Saturday mornings is great fun too. It's a totally different, and very laid back crowd, and always fun to spend some time with.

I also dabble in oil painting and of course, when the weather's good, a lap around the patch on the motorcycle is a terrific escape, too. Then when it gets dark its real hard to beat a good book.

PAT
Nov 04, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearup
I'm IN!!!! Wanted a *&$% DUmasS kit, but they were pulled from the market.. where do I need to send my Paypal Pat??
Not to worry, when the 310 is done I'll deffinitely spread the word. I have a feeling that this is going to be a popular one too, so don't plan to waist any time getting it done.

PAT
Nov 04, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thread OP

Building the Wing

Getting all the sub-assemblies together prior to building the wing sure did make for a quick and easy frame-up. There were a couple minor glitches in the parts, but it's all been corrected and we're back to moving in a positive direction.

Assembly began with the left wing panel. The basic rib and spar assembly was laid out over the plans on top of the bottom sheeting. Once it was all put together it was glued with a drop of thin Cya at each joint, then the LE, TE, and top sheeting were added.
Nov 04, 2008, 09:15 AM
Thread OP

Moving on to the Right Wing

The wing was removed from the board and rocked up onto the other panel and a foam block placed under the left side for support. The second side was built just like the first.

The main gear mounts are built up in the sheeted section of the wing, and are tied in as an integral part of the wing assembly.
Nov 04, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thread OP

Building the Motor Mounts

The LH and RH mount assemblies are different so that the RH motor will have a degree or so of Right Thrust to counter the prop torque. The mounts are then keyed into the sheeting to insure proper alignment. I won't glue the mounts to the wing until the mold masters have been carved for the nacelles.

Next step, run in the aileron servos and all the related wiring.

PAT
Nov 04, 2008, 02:47 PM
Pat, Beautiful job! Put me down for one.
Curious about the airfoil, is it an Eppler 209?
Nov 04, 2008, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
170, I didn't use a published airfoil on this one. What it is, is the same 14% thick profile used on the Aeronca Champ and Chief, but with a bit of phillips entry built in. The profile is real similar to the Clark Y, but with the high point farther aft.

PAT
Nov 04, 2008, 03:12 PM
Neophyte hacker
So, it's a PT310
Nov 04, 2008, 03:15 PM
Neophyte hacker
That brings up a point I have never investigated. How much different does an airfoil have to be to qualify as a 'new' airfoil? I have seen so many that are so much alike that I stopped even using the std numbers. When I have drawn one I have just sketched out something that looked right. Like Pat's and Pete's it usually resembles a Clark Y.

charlie
Nov 04, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Servos and Motors

The motors were srewed to the firewalls, and the servos glued into their trays. Then the servo wiring was run in and tied off.
Nov 04, 2008, 03:22 PM
Thread OP

And Then, the Dry Run

Just for grins I set the fuselage on the wing and the tail in place, just to see how it would look. Now, I'm getting excited!

PAT
Nov 04, 2008, 04:25 PM
Wow

Quick Reply