Oct 25, 2008, 10:19 PM
well it looks like im going to tucson then
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Nose Wheel

The nosewheel mount is a light ply affair located in the front main frame. The front former had to be releaved to accept the pushrod. Will make the mod on the parts layout as well.
Oct 28, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Front Stringers

Things got a little exciting here. A few changes were needed to get things lined up nicely. But after it all went together, things were starting to look pretty good. Then once all the stringers were glued in place the foam blocks were rough cut and glued in place.
Oct 28, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Top Stringers

With the front end done it was to the aft fuselage to get the stringers in place. No problems back here at all, everything lined up straight and true. Tomorrow, we shape the blocks and mount up the servos.

PAT
Oct 28, 2008, 10:00 PM
Looking good pat! Interesting to see a Cherokee 140 box sitting there
Oct 29, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thread OP

Just Couldn't Resist

Walked back in the shop and spotted the tail feathers hanging on the wall and just couldn't resist setting them on the fuselage. Looks pretty cool.

PAT
Oct 29, 2008, 10:29 AM
WOW, that thing is going to be big! Looking great too!!

What process do you use to prepare the foam pieces to accept covering?
Oct 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
WOW, that thing is going to be big! Looking great too!!

What process do you use to prepare the foam pieces to accept covering?
I thought so too. That's the one downside to CAD -- you never know just how big it will really be until the prints come back from the copy shop.

Once the foam is shaped and the divets filled they'll get a coat or two of WBPU and lightly sanded. Now, if we could just find some yellow or white foam like this stuff we'd have it made.

PAT
Oct 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
don't feed the zombies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Once the foam is shaped and the divets filled they'll get a coat or two of WBPU and lightly sanded. Now, if we could just find some yellow or white foam like this stuff we'd have it made.

PAT
Are the foam pieces then covered or painted? Seems like the covering wouldn't behave well on a hard surface compound curve, but whatever you do definitely works

Looking forward to the final product, I've always liked the 310's lines.

Ryan
Oct 31, 2008, 08:15 PM
that looks great Pat!

as you know --ive spent a lot of time in almost every general aviation airplane and the 310 is no exception--maybe around 500 hours in the 310 alone..

so i know how much fun it was to fly and how much fun the r/c version ought to be also..

one thing about the 310 wing is that it only goes so slow and then gets heavy quick..same with the early 400 series as well..after the tuna tanks--it seems like that tendency was reduced..the later 414a, 421c and 441 all behave a little better in slow flight..

the shape looks great so far..the fact that it will be an early version really has a lot of appeal to me..

your building skills and designs are an inspiration to us all...too bad our hobby doesnt have a nobel prize or you would own it brother!!

Tim
Oct 31, 2008, 09:23 PM
Looks good, Pat. I am currently working on the J-Kota. It is a little different building so light, but as this little wonder progresses I continue to be amazed. I hope I have not commited a fauxpas by building the fuse in spruce ????? I built one side in balsa and one in spruce then balance the two. The spruce side yielded itself only a small percent heavier. I have also built a full working landing gear, bungees and all. Thanks for all your hard work on the little works of art.

Trey
Oct 31, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Ryan, I'll probably paint the foam parts rather then cover them. The Litefilm is just transluscent enough that the blue foam will probably allow the underlying color to peak through.

Tim, Great to see you checking in. I had heard rumors that the 310 had a bit of an abrupt stall, so went with more of a low speed high lift airfoil, and will sneak in a degree or two of washout as well. The main thing though is not to let it get any heavier then is really necessary and she should be a real pussy cat.

Trey, Start up a build thread on your J-Kota. Will be real interested in how it all shakes out.

PAT
Oct 31, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thread OP

Making Progress

Got a little time to fool around with the 310 taday and got the servos mounted in the fuselage, the nosewheel steering hooked up, and the elevator pushrod run in. Meanwhile, the foam is all filled, sanded, and sealed, so looks like it's time to get started on the wings.

PAT
Nov 02, 2008, 01:58 PM
Yes!!!!
Nov 02, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thread OP

Getting Started on the Wing

This time I decided to build up all the sub-assemblies first before the actual wing construction began. Doing it that way uncovered a couple minor flubs, and was able to fix both sides (as well as the drawings) all at the same time -- less confusing that way.

It began with gluing the main spar assembly together using Titebond and a whole bunch of clamps. Then the rear spar center section was laminated in the same fashion. and finally, the aileron spar caps were laminated to the outer spar section and held in place with weights until dry.

The landing gear mout blocks were cut from 1/4 X 1/2 basswood and notched for the gear using the milling machine. They could be gouged in, but the mill is lots more fun. The inner blocks were assembled from spruce and ply.

Then with that done, the top and bottom sheeting sections were built up and sanded. And with that, its time to start putting it all together.

PAT

Quick Reply