Oct 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
Build Log

Building the 1:8 Scale #&@@*$ 310

After months of preperation the #&@@*$ 310 p-type build is finally underway. The original idea was to build the 310B Songbird so the plans were drawn with the original straight tail.

But after doing a little research I discovered that the p-type through the D Model used the same basic airframe, but the D model featured the first of the swept tails. I have to admit, I like the look of the swept tail much better, but want the kit to be build-able as the Songbird as well, so will include drawings for both vertical and swept tails on the plans.

Meanwhile, the p-type is going together as a D Model with the swept tail. So, lets get started.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2008, 08:52 AM

Getting the Build Started

The vertical and horizontal tails were build first. In spite of the span at about 54", this a is going to be a BIG airplane! The stab span is 25.5", so the structure was built up using 3/16 stock rather then the typical 1/8" thick found in all the other 1:8 scale offerings.

The rudder and elevator are tapered to an airfoil shape, and hinged with 3/16 wide strips of Cya hinge stock.
Oct 23, 2008, 08:57 AM

Building the Fuselage

The side frames were built up first, then joined using formers and cross pieces. The cabin roof assembly is built up independantly, and will be fitted atop the fuselage frame once the front formers are added.
Oct 23, 2008, 09:10 AM

Now It's Getting Serious

Moving on, the front formers and shaped stringers were added. As it turns out, the front of the fuse frame was too short and had to be re-done. Then the re-do came out too long so decided to modify the front former to make it fit to find the actual length of the frame, then back engineer the whole thing onto the plans. All the mods have been done, so we're finally in good shape.

Then the upper cabin section was fitted and glued. In doing that, I discovered one more discrepancy in the formers and have also made the correction there. From here, it should be smooth sailing.
Oct 23, 2008, 09:16 AM

Finishing the Front End

With everything basically aligned, the lower front formers and keel were added, then the side formers and chines fitted. A couple more minor glitches were uncovered and corrected. At this point, everything is nicely aligned and fits great.

Next step; the nosewheel mount, and stringers -- lots of stringers!!!

PAT
Oct 23, 2008, 11:13 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Ha!

you were being wwwwwaaaaayyyyy too quite Pat-I knew you were up to something Looking good!

This going to be a Dare/Dumas kit or a Pat's short kit?

Cheers,
Steve
Oct 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
Steve, This one will be a Short Kit. At the moment there's no plan to publish it, so will get it out as soon as it's done.

PAT
Oct 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Steve, This one will be a Short Kit. At the moment there's no plan to publish it, so will get it out as soon as it's done.

PAT
No need to question WHO is doing the plastics, but what all will be plastic? And, of course, will power be provided by some TP2409's - dual 800 mAh 2S perhaps? Just curious as to what I should plan for

Cheers,
Steve
Oct 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Eagerly watching ! I like these ones that don't have the looooong wait

-John
Oct 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Pat this looks GREAT, Thanks again for your insight and hard work you do, To compose another piece of Art. So all the rest of us can enjoy.

Thanks
Kelly
Oct 24, 2008, 05:58 PM
I was really bummed that I wasn't able to grab one of the Dumas 310's before they got pulled, so I'm really excited about this one. I'll have to hurry up and finish the J-Kota and the Jenny so I can make room on the building board for this one. It's got to be another winner! Way to go Pat!

_Ron Anderson
Oct 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
Im so glad to see this thread started, ive been waiting months!! Looking fantastic Pat, this one has to be on display at the AEF this year!!
Oct 25, 2008, 02:52 PM
You'll have to go to Tucson to see it in person. We won't be at AEFF this year.
Oct 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
WHATTTTT???? WHy not?
Oct 25, 2008, 07:10 PM
No flying time and low sales. It is OK to have one but not both. If I can fly all weekend it doesn't matter as much if I sell anything (kinda like SMALL). But, when I can't fly then I need to sell enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Then it turns out that the guys in Tucson are going to start up an electric fly in, due in no small part to Tritle harping on them every year So, in Feb will be driving down there.

charlie