Oct 23, 2008, 01:28 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Thread OP
Build Log

VQ Mig-3

After seeing the Mig-3 offering from VQ (vqwarbirds.com), I fell in love with the looks, and started doing some research on the plane. Most other things Id read about VQ models were favorable, and the things that were not, seemed like they could be addressed with a little attention to detail during the build.

Im planning on running the plane with this setup:
* Turnigy 50-55B 600KV
* 4x Rhino 2150mah 3s (6s 4300)
* Turnigy 80A Plush ESC Turnigy 80A Plush ESC
* Generic UH Standard size servos
* AR6200 Rx
* VQ mechanical retracts
* VQ Oleo struts

It turns out the oleo struts are backordered so I'm considering starting the build w/o them and installing them at a later date or another project.
Last edited by gp125racer; Oct 23, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2008, 03:22 AM
Amped UP!
Looks like a nice model. Where are the batts going?
Oct 23, 2008, 06:29 AM
I fly for Beer
Looks great! This is one I keep looking at myself to do.
I did the VQ P-51B. I didn't have much luck with the stock VQ mechanical retracts, and have now ended up with Robart mechanicals in it. If I was to be doing it all over again, I'd go straight to an air retract system. I fly off a fairly smooth grass field, but found the stock retracts to bend far too easily.
Good luck in your build, she'll be a beauty!
Jag
Oct 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
Glenn
I had one just like this but lost her to my own fault by not pre-checking the receiver battery voltage. My setup was more or les the same the same exept I had the e-flite power 46....The plane took off, flew and landed probably the same as any kyosho warbird which was nice and predictable.
Oct 23, 2008, 08:24 AM
Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516
They go upfront where the fuel tank mounts. If you have a really sharp knife you can cut out a hatch at the top of the fuselage.
Oct 23, 2008, 08:35 AM
I fly for Beer
Really sorry to hear you lost that one Wellington
Jag
Oct 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
Really sorry to hear you lost that one Wellington
Jag
I know! I thought VQ had discontinued their winter camo for the green one but I just looked and it's available again so guess what's coming soon!
Oct 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1516
Just like Wellington suggested, based on what Ive seen others do, Id planned on putting it in the fuel tank area. I might have to do some work to make everything fit, but I've got a 5s pack, or 4x 3s 2150 so I do have some options.

I just didn't like the look of the summer camo as much, something about the white with blue that just really makes this design pop.

Still considering if I should just run the stock retracts, or wait on the oleos. The comment about the retracts being weak hasn't helped, as my landings could be smoother

Don
Latest blog entry: D100
Oct 24, 2008, 02:30 AM
Thread OP

Build Night #1: Installing the retracts.....

Ok, a little background..... Me and retracts don't normally get along. It seems every pair Ive ever installed comes pre-equipped with a whole bunch of swear words, and I normally end up burning up a servo, or landing with a gear stuck up.

I ordered the matching retracts from VQ, hoping they would be as close to drop in as possible. After unpackaging them and trial fitting them it was apparent I would need to trim some plastic so the gear would fit in the gear housing slot. No biggie, 30 seconds with the exacto and they slid right in.

Everything else was by the manual, and I must say Im very happy with how smoothly they operate both in motion and locking for a set of $30 retracts. Not even much slop either.

Don
Oct 26, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thread OP

Build Day #2: I promise I meant for this to be a build thread......

but really this plane goes together so easily it just wasn't sensible to take pictures of each step. I will summarize the installation just to point out some oddities/areas I differed from the instructions.

First I installed the retracts, then glued the wing together. Next up was the aileron, and retract servo. This kit is a bit odd in the sense that it only uses one aileron servo. Im so used to two, I felt it necc. to point this out. Note the retracts are currently locked in the down position as Im waiting on a larger horn from the hobby shop. The one pictured is too small.

The wing bolts were pre-installed which was a nice touch, and all my measurements showed the wing to be within 1/16" alignment after fitting it up. Next I installed the rudder, and elevator linkages with their corresponding servos. Nothing special here ..... I will say the linkage setup was nice, the components (esp. the clevis) were all replaceable to say the least.

I still need to build a little tray for the battery, but some basswood and 15 minute epoxy will make short work of that. I need todo some finishing touches (battery tray, finalize cowling install), then power system testing and taxi tests!

Heres some pics until then......

Don

Don
Oct 27, 2008, 08:22 AM
Glenn
Hey Don, Nice pictures, Couple of questions....What make of motor mount are you using and did the spinner line up OK. I know there are some arf's out there that have the thrust built in the firewall but they don't always makethe cowl the same so there's a gap. All the planes I built VQ are the only kits that has the little connector so you can join two control rod together.
When is the maiden?
Glenn.
Oct 27, 2008, 10:43 AM
Thread OP
Hey Glenn,

I used this motor mount from hobby city, Ive used it in the past and it seems to work just fine. The spinner seems to line up OK, but I don't think Im going to be using the spinner that came with the kit. When it was assembled @ the factory, it wasn't aligned properly, and the screw holes got mangled I really like the look of the red spinner, but a nice 3 1/2" alum. could look nice too.

Im hoping the maiden will come sometime this week, if the work schedule allows.

Don
Oct 27, 2008, 11:09 AM
Glenn
Don, Thanks for the link on the mount. This is how Ive done most of my convertions so far, it costs very little but is fiddly so I will be looking at buying the one like yours. With the new Kyosho 50 Spitfire I built they supply a similar mount in the kit so I asked my HS to price up one and she told me $30! Needless to say I declined.
Glenn.
Oct 27, 2008, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
I think it's the same pretty blue one came with my Kyosho FW190 .... too bad 1/2 the installations require it to be modified (per the instructions), it sure is pretty.

Don
Oct 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer
I think it's the same pretty blue one came with my Kyosho FW190 .... too bad 1/2 the installations require it to be modified (per the instructions), it sure is pretty.

Don
Sorry Don, I meant to say that my Kyosho 50 Spitfire came with an aluminum blue motor mount and that kyosho wanted $30 if I wanted one like it. As you can see in picture my motor mount is nylon spacers and extra long bolts that I bought from the hardware store. A mate of mine took some video of my maiden of the Kyosho 50 Spitfire, I'll ask him to get it to me.

Quick Reply