Feb 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Never finished it. Trashed it after a nasty fight with the missus. I needed something to soothe my temper, and it was right there - tore it to shreds, cussing as I went. (I feel bad as I write this- poor plane ). I also ran out of foam material for the time being, so no big builds for a while. I've got plenty of balsa wood, so I expect to build a few stick and tissue electrics (and one nitro).
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2009, 02:32 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Otay, so I'm giving this sweetheart another try. I'm using Depron this time around, and added more dihedral for rudder-elevator control. I figure I can add ailerons as needed later. I've built some 'toon fatties this size that flew well once trimmed out in flight. Wish me luck though .
I've also narroweed the fuselage a bit more then the last time. I couldn't find the plans I drew back then, so I re-did them. Hopefully this one will fly well enough to post plans.
Here are a few pics.
Jun 02, 2009, 03:03 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Great Donald... I've been waiting a long time for you to finish. I'll be watching. with great interest.

Larry
Jun 02, 2009, 03:06 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Are you going to make a fat cowl like drwing? I'm interested in how your going to do that.
Jun 02, 2009, 03:08 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
All those cartoon style fatties are hilarious, I would love to have one in my hangar. But I never seem to trim that short ariplanes correctly (wing to hstab fuse too short). I tried couple of small planes, but thy're too heavy or very pitch sensitive (drunk butterfly flying style). I guess I need to hit some CG calculators on the web, and chceck for neutral point, static margin, etc.

Anyway, can't wait to see maiden of your skybabe Rusty.
Jun 02, 2009, 09:25 AM

hi

be looking for the plans i like flying odd things
Jun 02, 2009, 02:39 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Larry... the cowl is already on the plane, integral. I won't be doing a fatter, seperate cowl, even though it would add to the looks of the plane. I figure I had better keep it as simple as I can.

Richard... Yes, short coupled planes are sometimes a bear to trim out correctly. I've built some 'toon fatties this size that flew very well, and some that I could not get right. With the original Sky Baby model (and real plane) people say it's roll sensitive, and even other issues come into play, so I've been warned.I'll give it my best shot though.
thechannelmast... 'Toon fatties are as odd as I get. I love 'em. A 'toon P-38 from Hippo is how I got into 'toon planes. These things rock!
Jun 02, 2009, 03:51 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
More progress during lunch time.
I went with a larger tail for better rudder control. Got the horns installed on the control surfaces.
Jun 02, 2009, 11:44 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
So, I got the Sky Babe done, ready to maiden once the weather gets nice - ugly winds/rains.
She weighs a porky 15 oz AUW. The motor has plenty of power, this baby ought to rocket through the sky. I certainly hope its managable enough to enjoy.
I added more wing length then the r/c versions made by Clancy (in proportion to it's size), but they can be trimmed a bit if wanted. Top wing is a rubber band mount. Plenty of dihedral for rudder turns. Wings need color, blue on top, red on bottom. Overall I'm pleased with it (excelpt the weight).
Jun 03, 2009, 12:02 AM
Registered FFF Addict
All ready... you are truly amazing Donald. When you get a chance after the maiden, get the plans up and I will digitize them for you uhhh and for me. Oh and as usual great looking plane.

Larry
Jun 03, 2009, 12:07 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I'm hoping this one flies well, its been one of my favorite planes for many years. Its cartoon without trying to cartoon.
I need to clean up the plans a bit. I've also got some built pics. This is actually an easy plane to make, faster then I figured it might be.
Jun 03, 2009, 07:53 AM

wow

im so ready to build i have a knife in one hand and foam in the other
Jun 03, 2009, 11:28 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast
im so ready to build i have a knife in one hand and foam in the other
This is an easy build. The fuselage has only one bend, two formers, and is squarish. Wings are KFm (can be shortened if wanted). Stick mount for motor (can be modified to firewall mount).
I've yet to build the landing gear though. A nice set of wheel pants might be cool.
As I type this the weather is excellent for flying, but I'm at the beginning of my work day, so I'm hoping the weather will hold out til I get off.
Jun 04, 2009, 03:32 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
We went out late this evening (we're on 24 hour sunlight now) to fly another plane, and had the Sky Babe with us. I tested all the r/c gear at home after getting it done yesterday, and everything was good to go.
At the flying field, the Sky Babe glitched up ugly. We couldn't figure out what caused the glitching, so we didn't fly it. I'll insert another Rx in it, and have another go, hoping the weather holds out.
Jun 04, 2009, 07:31 AM
wow 24 hour sunlight that would suck a little

Quick Reply