Thread Tools
Oct 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
dekan's Avatar
Is this any good
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2008, 05:11 PM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Thread OP
I do have this pic, but don't have any full size plans. I didn't mean to mis-represent my situation. I used this pic to help with this project. Due to how this pic shows up on my printer I can not read it well enough to determine where the Cg is. I once read on another's build log (IIRC) that it might be at the top wing spar. Any idea?
Oct 20, 2008, 05:16 PM
Registered FFF Addict
larryross's Avatar
Rusty
I don't know if this would help or not, but if you send me scanned dawings you used for a pattern and the final size you would like, I would vectorize them and put them in pdf for you. I did this to your fireball plans. Just an offer.

Larry
Oct 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
Rusty
I don't know if this would help or not, but if you send me scanned dawings you used for a pattern and the final size you would like, I would vectorize them and put them in pdf for you. I did this to your fireball plans. Just an offer.

Larry
Yep, sure thing. How do you want me to send them to you? I can scan and post them here even. I've not finished the plane yet, so am unsure how it will fly. I'm optimistic about it though.
Oct 20, 2008, 07:01 PM
Visitor from Reality
Rusty
At first, I had a feeling that might be Andy Clancy and his Sky Baby in that video. It wasn't though - love the bit at the end where the pilot taxies the model into the model park. Wouldn't you just love someone to do that, the radio fails and his model chews your, or your car, or your leg, up?

I've not only got plans for his (and Ken Willard's much more scale 1/4 scale plan too ), but I got to fly Andy's prototype - he mailed the entire model, plus batteries, charger and even a transmitter to me. Mailing a 1/4 scale model from Arizona to DC could be some kind of a record

Flying it was a breeze, given some oddities. It wouldn't take off from any but the shortest grass - any long grass tended to lift the wing high enough so the wheels missed the ground altogether! On tarmac, it was fine taking off and landing. Airborne, it wasn't a good idea to get too far out - it soon turns into a black beachball at any distance and you have to concentrate real hard on which way its going.

Otherwise, Andy's, which had flat wings and rudder / ele only, flew just fine. I understand that Ken Willard's was very similar in handling. Andy told me a year or so later that he'd traded the seven cell geared ferrite for a ten cell geared and much hotter ferrite from MEC and the model would loop and roll with easy - I never did more than fly it around posing.

Which, oddly enough, is about all the real thing did, in order to capture the 'world's smallest' title...

Ken Willard's plan, which contains scale drawings and some photos:
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...BsmI2kkc06N6K6

Andy's semiscale plan:
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...BsmI2kkc03n6j4

Both are in the RCM plans service, I understand it is still selling plans though the magazine is 'resting' at present. Regretably, for those used to more internet-slanted prices, they insist on being paid to send copies

Regards

Dereck
Oct 20, 2008, 07:19 PM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Thread OP
dereck... I've recently read your account of flying Andy's plane, on another builder's log. Thanks for sharing here, too. I've always loved this plane ever since I saw it on Inside R/C, but knew nothing about it, not even the real plane. I hope I can get mine to fly well enough to enjoy.
Oct 20, 2008, 07:32 PM
Registered FFF Addict
larryross's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Yep, sure thing. How do you want me to send them to you? I can scan and post them here even. I've not finished the plane yet, so am unsure how it will fly. I'm optimistic about it though.
When you think they're ready posting them will work then I'll get to work. I want to build one too.
Oct 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
Dr John
pmpjohn's Avatar
I have a DXF file showing about 5 views of the full scale. If anyone is interested PM me your email and I will sent it to you.

John
Oct 20, 2008, 09:49 PM
Registered User
thechannelmast's Avatar

hi


i playing around with a new program will this help if not ill delete off the form i have the andy clany stits plans but on paper
Oct 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
Dr John
pmpjohn's Avatar
That is the same drawing I have in DXF.

John
Oct 20, 2008, 11:52 PM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Thread OP
thechannlemast/pmpjohn.... damn, looking at it with these pics it does look sweet and cute. Thanks.
The wings do look aweful short though, which gives it character. I'll go with what I have now, and go from there.
It shouldn't be too differcult for others to build this plane with what is posted up to now, so please have a go if anyone wishes to.

BTW I went through my stuff and discovered I don't have spare servos to complete this plane yet. I've got them tied up in another plane (Jimi Jetstream). I've got a spare motor and ESC though, so will work with these for now, and install servos as they become available.
Oct 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Neat, another Rusty'O'Riginal.

Some hand soap, a sponge and a bit of elbow grease will get rid of most of the printing.
Oct 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Neat, another Rusty'O'Riginal.

Some hand soap, a sponge and a bit of elbow grease will get rid of most of the printing.
Thanks. I've learned to just ingnore the printing on the FFF. Sometimes I eve try to cut out the pieces so the printing is less obtrusive.
Oct 22, 2008, 01:58 PM
Registered FFF Addict
larryross's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
thechannlemast/pmpjohn.... damn, looking at it with these pics it does look sweet and cute. Thanks.
The wings do look aweful short though, which gives it character. I'll go with what I have now, and go from there.
It shouldn't be too differcult for others to build this plane with what is posted up to now, so please have a go if anyone wishes to.

BTW I went through my stuff and discovered I don't have spare servos to complete this plane yet. I've got them tied up in another plane (Jimi Jetstream). I've got a spare motor and ESC though, so will work with these for now, and install servos as they become available.

Yaa if I wanted to build a scale, but I want to build yours (much more character)
Feb 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
Registered User
vrealm's Avatar
Hey Rusty, what ever happened? Did it fly?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools