Amokka Race Plank - Page 5 - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2014, 02:55 PM
Auzzie built planks
Well done Keith. Alway great when a maiden goes well and to peter for creating a very nice plank

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2017, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groom_k
Hi All

Nearly 5 years ago Peter was kind enough to make an Amokka for me. Unfortunately it’s taken me far longer than I had hoped to finish the plane. Yesterday I flew my Amokka for the first time and I have to say I think it’s absolutely BRILLIANT.

I had thought about using a Linear Drive System but decided to use traditional pushrods with MKS 6100 servos on the flaps and MKS 6125 servos on the ailerons. I made the flaps 300mm long to try and get a good balance between the surface area of the flaps and ailerons for crow braking. For the first flights I used the C of G (48mm), the control movements that Peter suggested and set up a rotary dial on my transmitter so that I could change the trim of the whole trailing edge.

I am very impressed with the speed and energy retention of the Amokka. Even in light slope lift with the occasional thermal it was possible to fly multiple loops with a diameter of around 50 meters. I found the elevator to be very powerful and quite sensitive. After the first 4 hours of flying I have settled on using 35% exponential for the elevator and 20% for the ailerons. With these settings I found it was possible to fly tight F3F type turns without loosing too much speed. My initial impression is that reversal turns suit the Amokka better that knife-edge ‘bank and yank’ type turns.

After some trials I am now using more up aileron (20mm) and down flap (25mm) for crow. Although this doesn’t reduce the speed of the model it is very useful for loosing height on the landing approach.

For future flights I will try moving the C of G a little further back (but not too far ;-). I am also planning to set up a special mix to open the crow brakes on only one side or the other of the wing at a time. I will use these ‘drag brakes’ in place of a rudder for flying stall turns.

As well as finishing the Amokka I’ve also been following the development of the Snap and Spliff flying wings with great interest.

My sincere thanks to Peter for making an Amokka for me. It's a BRILLIANT glider and makes a nice change to the gliders that I usually fly. I am looking forward to getting to know it more and flying it on a regular basis.

Kind Regards

Keith
Bristol

Hi Keith,
please, do you have a new experience about crow and moving the C of G ?
Thanks.
Libor
Jul 13, 2017, 03:26 PM
Hi Libor

My apologies for the delay in coming back to you.

Regarding the C of G. I did experiment with moving the C of G back to 49mm and then 50mm. I didn't;'t find any noticeable improvement in the performance of the model with the C of G further back but the model become very sensitive in pitch which created a higher workload for the pilot. In the end I returned the C of G to 48mm as this provides a neutral, stable model without a high workload for the pilot. It was fun to try but I suspect that Peter had already completed these tests before recommending 48mm ;-)

Regarding the using the crow brakes on only one side of the wing at a time as 'drag breaks', this was more successful. I still use this configuration on the model now. It's not effective for direction changes when the model is moving quickly but I have found it really effective for stall turns and also for thermaling. I started by taking the same aileron and flap deflections that I was already using fro crow breaks and simply created a mix that moved the control surfaces on one or the other wing.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards

Keith
Jul 13, 2017, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=groom_k;28141361]Hi All

Nearly 5 years ago Peter was kind enough to make an Amokka for me. Unfortunately it’s taken me far longer than I had hoped to finish the plane. Yesterday I flew my Amokka for the first time and I have to say I think it’s absolutely BRILLIANT.

I had thought about using a Linear Drive System but decided to use traditional pushrods with MKS 6100 servos on the flaps and MKS 6125 servos on the ailerons. I made the flaps 300mm long to try and get a good balance between the surface area of the flaps and ailerons for crow braking. For the first flights I used the C of G (48mm), the control movements that Peter suggested and set up a rotary dial on my transmitter so that I could change the trim of the whole trailing edge.

I am very impressed with the speed and energy retention of the Amokka. Even in light slope lift with the occasional thermal it was possible to fly multiple loops with a diameter of around 50 meters. I found the elevator to be very powerful and quite sensitive. After the first 4 hours of flying I have settled on using 35% exponential for the elevator and 20% for the ailerons. With these settings I found it was possible to fly tight F3F type turns without loosing too much speed. My initial impression is that reversal turns suit the Amokka better that knife-edge ‘bank and yank’ type turns.

After some trials I am now using more up aileron (20mm) and down flap (25mm) for crow. Although this doesn’t reduce the speed of the model it is very useful for loosing height on the landing approach.

For future flights I will try moving the C of G a little further back (but not too far ;-). I am also planning to set up a special mix to open the crow brakes on only one side or the other of the wing at a time. I will use these ‘drag brakes’ in place of a rudder for flying stall turns.

As well as finishing the Amokka I’ve also been following the development of the Snap and Spliff flying wings with great interest.

My sincere thanks to Peter for making an Amokka for me. It's a BRILLIANT glider and makes a nice change to the gliders that I usually fly. I am looking forward to getting to know it more and flying it on a regular basis.

Kind Regards

Keith!

Fantastic result - well done mate!

Peter W really is the Guru of planks!

I think we should try to find a more "techie" name...

To the innocent bystander the comment "Oh I was out flying my plank last weekend..."might have commutations of Harry Potter or something like that...hahaha

How about "Single Wing Experimental Flying Body"? "SWEFB" ( Its easy to say when you forget your dentures! -honest!)

Any ideas?

Doc J.
Jul 14, 2017, 07:25 AM

New plane.

Probably none of you would find it strange that I have been working with Peter and Tobias Schiller (Another aerofoil genius) on a new project?

Watch this space!

Cheers,

Doc J.
Jul 14, 2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks James

Great to hear that you're cooking up something new with Peter.

I look forward to seeing what you've all been up to.

Anything that helps get more of Peter's brilliant designs into production can only be good.

Kind Regards

Keith

P.S. The best I can come up with is SHSA (single horizontal surface aerodyne) which could be used for straight or swept wings.
Jul 14, 2017, 06:28 PM
It's time for me to fly
PLANK: Peter's Laminar Airflow....something....something?
Nov 26, 2017, 06:07 PM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by groom_k

Hey Keith, your Amokka looks nearly the same as mine
I flew my one the first time today, but the weather was bad, snowfall for most of the afternoon, only some short trim flights were possible.
Now i´m looking forward for better conditions for longer flights and a lot of fun

Regards, Uwe.
Dec 05, 2017, 02:26 PM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Saw
Now i´m looking forward for better conditions for longer flights and a lot of fun
Some flights with my Amokka1 at 2-3 bft

Regards,

Uwe

Amokka1 bei 2-3 Bft (4 min 23 sec)

Amokka1, bissl Soft-DS bei 2 bft (1 min 19 sec)
Dec 06, 2017, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Some flights with my Amokka1 at 2-3 bft

Regards,

Uwe

https://vimeo.com/245806247

https://vimeo.com/245957659
BEAUTIFUL!

I have the Amokka's brother on paper.

Designed with Peter and Tobias - its going to be a killer!

Watch this space!
Dec 06, 2017, 12:45 PM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc James H
I have the Amokka's brother on paper.

Designed with Peter and Tobias
Yes, I know the project and was not uninvolved in it. Peter and I often exchange ideas during development and I introduced Tobias to Peter.

Good luck for the D.....t

Regards,

Uwe.
Dec 07, 2017, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Yes, I know the project and was not uninvolved in it. Peter and I often exchange ideas during development and I introduced Tobias to Peter.

Good luck for the D.....t

Regards,

Uwe.

Thanks Uwe!

J.