Jun 25, 2001, 09:24 AM
Thread OP

How can I make a hi-start?...I've got the materials

Hi,
I have recently bought my first plane ever, a GP Spirit. I have almost finnished it, and am beginning to look towards the flight of the model.

A generous collegue at work gave me 100 feet of surgical tubing and a huge lot of light nylon cording. I have seen some pictures of hi-starts, and they seem very simple, so I figured that since I had these materials, I would assemble one myself. I will find a large stake or 12" nail or such to hold down the end with, but I wondered what else I may need to build this hi-start. I have heard that it is important to have a parachute...is this for during the launch (slowing down the plane) or for after the launch (for slowing the decent of the tubing and cord).

Could someone please tell me how to assemble the hi-start from what I have, and how and where and why the parachute comes into play. Thanks very much.
-L.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2001, 09:58 AM
Hi, Since you launch into the wind the parachute is used to bring back the hi-start to where you started instead of just dropping into one large pile and the associated tangles that would make. It doesn't bring it all the way but it sure helps and also you can spot the end easier too. Some people use a stake that is used for a dog run can get them at pet stores. A big piece of metal that you screw into the ground and also some comes with a rotating ring that you can attach one end to..The order of materials are. Stake, Rubber, fishing line swivel, line, another swivel (your choice), parachute, a very short piece of line with a ring attached. The hardest part is attaching the rubber to everything else without having to tie knots...To attach the rubber you need something that will slip inside the tubing with a hole through one end so that you can slip a ring through the hole to attach the line to it without the ugly knots....Knots work but they won't look good or last to long either....and that be it in a nut shell..Hope this has helped....

Wylie

[This message has been edited by Wylie Shaw (edited 06-25-2001).]
Jun 26, 2001, 12:56 AM
Walmart sells keychain rings - I think a pack of eight sells for 89 cents. An easy
way to attach the rings to the ends of the rubber is:
Put the end of the rubber through the ring and then fold the rubber back on itself about an inch. Take a length of the nylon cord and wrap the string tightly around the rubber close to the ring. Wrap it 10
to 20 times and then knot the ends of the string together. This doesn't sound like it works but it does. You'll probably need to replace the cord wrapping about once a year although mine is over a year old and just showing signs of the string fraying.

lift always,
John

[This message has been edited by John Gallagher (edited 06-25-2001).]
Jun 26, 2001, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Thanks so much guys,
Your advise was great. I am going to build it tonight as you've described. The ring idea is great!

But, how do I attach the parachute? Which way does it face?

Also, for my first launch, do I have to be careful about how far back I pull it? Is there a limit to how much force the plane's hook will take? Is there the danger of nose diving a plane with the hi-start?
Jun 28, 2001, 10:25 PM
I feel your pain! My first flights were with a 72" glider I built myself. An "Easy Answer". I'm currently teaching a friend. To respond to your question, You won't nose dive it on launch. I was on my own when I learned and the first mistake I made was when I was afraid that it wouldn't go up. I stepped back 20 steps, set the plane on the ground and let her rip with full up elevator. It went STRAIGHT up and looped before stalling and lawn darting. Don't dial in any up trim, just test glide a lot before you graduate to the hi start and go for a launch and landing. Only move the controls enough to maintain a flat glide path to a soft landing at first. To attach your chute: the convex part should face the tail when hooked to the plane. To attach the chute to the line just tie all the lines together at the bottom, then tie the launch line to that. To attach the ring to the top of the chute, I sew it on with carpet thread, it's really strong. (You can make good hinges with it too). You can sew it directly to the top of the chute, no short line is needed. Get a good quality nylon chute, 1' to 18" in diameter will do. Good luck! Oh and you know what makes a great stake? One of those green stakes that hold down the green metal lawn edging. Even has a hole in the top for the ring to hook into.

[This message has been edited by newflyer (edited 06-28-2001).]
Jun 29, 2001, 09:02 AM
Kiwip,

Yes, I agree with Newflyer, don't pull up on the stick during a Hi-Start launch. It will climb up on its own, but do steer the rudder to keep it straight. First, balance the glider and do a ground/hand lanuch to test out the glide before you put on the Hi-Start. You can almost stretch the Hi-Start line three times its length or 350 paces. If you need more help, I can help since I notice that you live in MD. What part? I live MD also. I have built a GP Spirit for a friend and we have test flown it. Becareful of the elevator sensitivty. It was sensitive to me so I readjusted via through the computer radio.
I hope this helps...
Jul 02, 2001, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Thanks so much guys for the advise, I am feeling much more confident about the launch now. I just finnished covering the plane this past weekend

onsj: That is a very generous offer to help me. I would like that very much if we find that we live close enough...I am in montgomery county- Rockville. Where are you? I will be away for 5 days from tomorrow, but please let me know, you can e-mail me if you'd prefer: kiwip@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I always find your advise and ideas fantastic

Quick Reply