Cellpro Multi4 Announced - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2008, 03:56 AM
Discussion

Cellpro Multi4 Announced

Have you all seen the upcoming Cellpro Multi4 charger from FMA?

It looks to me like they have addressed many of the shortcomings of the Cellpro 4S and plan to release more features later via firmware updates.

Links:
Money saving combo deals
Cellpro Multi4 FAQ
Cellpro Multi4 Charger Manual
Cellpro Multi4 Charge Control Software (Linux, BSD, OSX, and Vista x64 are not supported)
Screenshots of various battery chemistry charges and the PC software are now shown on page 11, page 12, and page 13.
Fuel table info, including how how do a 1C charge and make your own.

Reviews:
Review by BARNESJONR
Review by SteveM732

Specifications:
Size: 109mm x 91mm x 21mm
Weight: 225 gms (7.23 oz)
Ratings: 4s Li, 10s NiCd/NiMH, 8s Pb, 50W Continuous Output
Power Source: 10-16VDC input
Outputs: Single channel for any Cellpro battery pack directly (up to 4s); includes 2 wire adapter for NiCd/NiMH/Pb

Current features:
1. Back lit Liquid Crystal Display
2. High Impact ABS Plastic protective enclosure
3. Multi-Chemistry, supports LiPoly, LiIon, A123, LiMn, NiCd, NiMH, Pb
4. Supports 2-way P.C. Interface (FUIM2)
5. Enhanced Internet Upgradeable (IU) Charge Control Software (free download)
6. IU Firmware support (free for the life of the product)
7. 25 User-Programmable Presets
8. Intuitive, “Task Driven”, 1 button user interface enables you to easily alter basic preset operation at the charger. Examples are “Charge LiPo”, “Cycle NiCd”, “Store A123”. It’s never been easier to setup a charger to meet your unique requirements.
9. Presets may be edited at the charger, -or-
10. Advanced editing of presets may be accomplished using the Charge Control Software
11. 200 mA discharging and/or cycling available for all chemistries (removed due to reliability issues and costs to correct properly)
12. Edit, save, and recall presets one at a time to your PC using the CCS
13. Backup all 25 user programmable presets in the charger to your PC
14. Share custom presets with your friends
15. Edit, save, and recall custom fuel tables to improve the accuracy of AUTO charge modes. Custom fuel tables may be generated from 1C manual charge graphs of Li batteries, included with software upgrades over time, and/or shared with friends over the internet.
16. Alter the individual charger displays to meet your needs. Change the order of any screen or hide screens from displaying. Set each preset to present the information you want the way you want it using the CCS.
17. Open Architecture Presets provide access to over 40 different preset parameters. You don’t have to be an expert to create the perfect charger for yourself. The CCS will ensure that any charger parameters you wish to alter do not violate safety protocols. This feature is for advanced users only, but if you are the type of person who wants to tweak settings to meet your exact requirements, this is the ultimate tool for you.
18. Support for non-balanced charge of A123 packs (up to 5S)
19. Support for non-balanced charge of 2s LiPo for small park flyer batteries.
20. Charge optimizations programmable by preset – select between various options such as “Optimize for faster charging”, “Optimize for accurate balancing”, “Optimize for small LiPo’s”, and more to come.
21. Remote start and stop of the charge from a PC using the CCS.
22. An "auto start" feature enables the Multi4 to operate more like the Cellpro 4s, reducing the number of button presses required to initiate a charge.
Last edited by SteveM732; Oct 01, 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Updated features
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2008, 07:04 AM
Just received the e-mail about this charger. This is a must have for me. I love my cellpro4 but still have to carry my triton around because of nimh/nicd. Can we use the battery adapters with this? I guess we can since its a single channel for any Cellpro battery pack.
Oct 16, 2008, 07:14 AM
Argh, that looks great, shame I got 2 CellPro 4S's already!

My money's being saved for a 10S CellPro though.
Oct 16, 2008, 08:57 AM
AA6JB
Hows about a little photo of it ...from FMAs web site?

Looks like a nice charger! Rich feature set too!
Oct 16, 2008, 09:20 AM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Just received the e-mail about this charger. This is a must have for me. I love my cellpro4 but still have to carry my triton around because of nimh/nicd. Can we use the battery adapters with this? I guess we can since its a single channel for any Cellpro battery pack.
Hi,

The connectors are still the same.
Oct 16, 2008, 10:08 AM
elliptical = beauty
whats the min charge rate of NICD/NIMH/LIPO?

seems like 100mah is the standard, and i'd like a charger that did really small increments like 5mah or 10mah..
Oct 16, 2008, 11:42 AM
Major Electron Addiction
Will the computer cable from my 10s work with this charger? Obviously I will have to use the 4s specific software. I would like to avoid buying another cable if possible. Thanks.
Oct 16, 2008, 01:52 PM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal_Tom
whats the min charge rate of NICD/NIMH/LIPO?

seems like 100mah is the standard, and i'd like a charger that did really small increments like 5mah or 10mah..
Hi,

The minimum is 5 ma tentatively.
Oct 16, 2008, 01:53 PM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123
Will the computer cable from my 10s work with this charger? Obviously I will have to use the 4s specific software. I would like to avoid buying another cable if possible. Thanks.
Hi,

Yes, it will work.
Oct 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
Has this new charger been tested and approved by Everydayflyer?
Oct 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
elliptical = beauty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos
Hi,

The minimum is 5 ma tentatively.
i HOPE this is true! if so, it would be the ONLY charger with all chemistry types to do this
Oct 16, 2008, 02:51 PM
Why must they keep coming out with newer and better stuff... i'm gonna go broke!

Now I have to sell my old charger(s), and buy this new Multi4.
Oct 16, 2008, 04:27 PM

new charger

I am wondering what power taps are needed with this one for charging nicads and of course for balance charging lipos or A123 cells... FMA makes great chargers, I cant wait for a few extra bucks to get this one.
Oct 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
Sindland MC SAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagabond
I am wondering what power taps are needed with this one for charging nicads and of course for balance charging lipos or A123 cells... FMA makes great chargers, I cant wait for a few extra bucks to get this one.
Hi,

Size: 109mm x 91mm x 21mm
Weight: 225 gms (7.23 oz)
Ratings: 4s Li, 10s NiCd/NiMH, 8s Pb, 50W Continuous Output
Power Source: 10-16VDC input
Outputs: Single channel for any Cellpro battery pack directly (up to 4s); includes 2 wire adapter for NiCd/NiMH/Pb
Oct 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
Last edited by BD Flyer; Oct 17, 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: ..