Jun 25, 2001, 06:31 PM
Thread OP

Superbike (Mike) did you fly your Honey?

Hi! Mike;

Did you fly your Honey yet? How did it perform for you, and were you impressed? I'll keep this short and wait for a response from you.

Henry

P.S. I haven't seen a post from you about the Honey.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2001, 09:14 PM
He provably still looking for a motor
Jun 25, 2001, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Hi! RafaelABN;

Thanks for the info.

Hey by any chance were you in a Airborne unit? I was just curious, and being from Ft Polk. I served twenty years in a Airborne unit and I was stationed at Ft. Polk.

I hope Mike decides to go with the Kontronic motor and ESC. That set up will send straight up, without having to launch it.

Thanks Henry

[This message has been edited by hmhoshi (edited 06-25-2001).]
Jun 27, 2001, 08:51 AM
Hi guys! My motor should be here this week. I talked with Randy from csr, and based on what I want to do with this plane and he recomended a 1010/df 7.5x4prop and a 40 amp controller. He said it will rail and I can add a gear drive later if I want. I got a deal I could not pass up. I have a good deal worked out on the Kontronik set up, but cash has been more of an issue lately than normal, but I will end up with it. I messed around on motocalc and this set up should scream. I still need a reciever and may get new servos. How many In/oz do I need? I may have some servos that will work. I may run a gearbox on this, but I am having a hard time getting the numbers to jive with my limited prop size. I have to go out of town for about 12 days, but i will come home and put it together in one evening I cant wait to fly it. Do you guys think I should just use one servo on the v-tail? will I use rudder? I want to set it up right. Flaps or spoilers? I have a million questions. Thanks guys---Mike
Jun 27, 2001, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Hi! Mike;

I bet you can't wait till you get your up into the air. It will lift off without having to launch it (it goes vertical).

All you will need is 4 CS 21 BB servos and you'll be set. I use a Hitec Slim 8 and it worked fine, allowing me to program in all the functions like flaps, spoilers etc... You don't have to worry about the weight of one servo, the Honey stills goes vertical. Just make sure your servos don't bind or cause them to fail for any reason. Somehow or for some reason mine failed in the wing, and you can imagine what it was like coming down after a smooth take off.

Henry

P.S. I have another Honey on the way, and I just got my Filip E T-Tail.
Jun 27, 2001, 10:44 PM

HI Henry, Yes IM in an Airborne unit here in FT. Polk JRTC but not for long, I will be relocating to FT. Gordon, GA next month no more jumping for me last night was the last one Do you remember how to do a PLF?

Jun 28, 2001, 01:15 PM
Hey guys it is 2:00 and I just got the mail.
My motor set-up is here, I missed delivery so I have to pick it up after 3:00. I can't wait. I also spent 4 years in the Army. I was an M1 gunner. I spent time in Germany, went on border patrol (camp Hof), went to Desert Storm. Then I spent about a year and a half at Ft.Stewart, Ga. I enjoyed my time in but I felt to pinned down to make a career out of it. Just not my cup of tea. I was single living in the barracks, I did not like that life style. I think it did me a lot of good, I would not be where I am at today without the lessons Ilearned in there.
Jun 28, 2001, 02:44 PM
I just received my Honey Electric yesterday. Very sleek and lightweight - should be alot of fun to fly.

The wing mounting holes weren't lined up so I had to dremel the back hole out a bit to get both nylon bolts to fit. The wing also seems to be about 1/8 inch forward of where it should be so is "riding a bit high in the saddle" with the wing not being perfectly seated on the fuse (there is space underneath the wing). The wing is also not quite straight on the fuse but I think I can solve this with a bit more dremel action on the front wing mount hole. I'll just use velcro underneath the front part of the wing to take up the space between the wing and the fuselage since the fit is not perfect.

Sal recommended a 11x8 prop but this looks like it might be tight. I measured from the front of the wing to fuse and got about 4 1/2 inches. Does anyone know the length of a single blade on a 11x8 folder? I'm also curious if the entire servo bay should be cut out of the wing or just enough to accomodate the size of the servos I'm planning to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

[This message has been edited by greg morrison (edited 06-28-2001).]
Jun 28, 2001, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Greg & Mike;

I got my second Honey today!!! Can you believe, it is the same color as my old one. I guess Sal remembered what color my old one was.

My wing sat high in the saddle, but my wing hole lined up but I didn't consider Dremeling the wing mounts. It flew well, although the wing sat a little high. Like you say, it isn't a perfect fit. Let me know the improvements work, and if they improved the flight of the Honey.

I used a 10x8 folding prop and it would go vertical. The 11x8 just rides to close to the leading edge of the wing. I think the wing clearance is 11 mm to 11.5 mm, I guess you can make it fit.

Just cut out enough of the wing to mount your servos, and allow for adjustment for proper alignment of your servos. Trial fit the servos before you attach double sided servo to them. Once the double sided tape is down there is no turning back, if you know what I mean? I don't know how you can get the servo back up again, once it is stuck.

Mike let me know how your first flight goes? And if the Honey was everything we said it was? It will stand on its tail and go vertical, and soar with the birds. Just make sure you do a good preflight check, and everything will go well.

Henry

P.S. Your in for BIG surprise, it will fly like no other Hotliner.

[This message has been edited by hmhoshi (edited 06-28-2001).]
Jun 29, 2001, 12:33 AM
Thread OP
Hi! Rafael;

I still remember how to do a PLF, its hard to forget after twenty years. Like I said, I retired after 20 years on jump except for one interruption. Know I discovered a new passion, almost as good as jumping out of an airplane.

That is electric airplanes, I really like the performance of Hotliners. They fly like they are on rails, and come diving down with that all familiar whistling sound. It's so impressive, I don't see how anyone could fly anything else. Don't get me wrong, I do like other forms of electric flight, but not as well.

You said your going to Ft. Gordon? Is that your last assignment, before you retire? Where are you going to retire or settle down?
Isn't
Ft. Polk a little flat? Is their a lot of interrest in flying RC there? I thought Louisana's interrests were hunting and fishing? Maybe relocating to Ft. Gordon you will find more flying fields.

Take care Henry "Airborne All the Way" and "Ranger's Lead the Way"
Jun 29, 2001, 05:42 PM

You said your going to Ft. Gordon? Is that your last assignment, before you retire?

I feel the same way you do about hotliners. I don't think Ft. Gordon will be my last unit before retirement I think uncle Sam will get a good squeeze out of me before I get to retire probably the 82 ABN but FT. Gordon is a good break from all the Jumping and from the 92lb field pack...

Where are you going to retire or settle down?
I don't know any recommendations...

Isn't Ft. Polk a little flat?
YES

Is their a lot of interrest in flying RC there?
Not electric

I thought Louisana's interrests were hunting and fishing?
absolutely

Jun 29, 2001, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi! Rafael;

I am already retired and living in California. I guess we got our wires crossed, I was just wanted to find out how close you were to retirement. I guess not cloes enough. Bet you can't wait to out.

Twenty years was enough for me. Got a new career as a RN on a cardiovascular unit. And I have been doing it for quite some time, until I suffered a mild stroke.

Remember to lead a health active life, after your retire.

Now all I have to do is get my Honey and my Filip built.

Take care Henry
Jun 29, 2001, 10:26 PM

4 years and 9 months before retirement Henry and you are correct! I can't wait. thanks for the Health advice.
I got a 1005/2Y witha 4.4 planeta that need a home. What is your recomendation the Filip or the Honey.
Jun 30, 2001, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi! Rafael;

I think I'd go with the Honey, all you have to do is mount servos in the wing and for the v-tail. It has a fiberglass fuselage the is that is real solid.

I'm not sure what size motor the 1005/2Y is, but I had the Kontronix Fun 400 with 3:1 gearbox.

I think you won't go wrong with either the Honey or the Filip E T-Tail.

Henry
Jun 30, 2001, 07:25 PM

The 1005/2Y with 4.4gb is a 5.2oz combo, capable of 9,000 rpm, with 7 cells and a 10x6 prop at about 32 AMPS.

I think is a good match..
The philip E is on sale for $119.95.

Quick Reply