Feb 18, 2003, 05:10 AM
Thread OP

Nemesis vs. Mini-Nyx vs. Risk

Hello. Actually I am flying a Risk, but I am looking for something faster AND better to land. At the moment I am considering the Nemesis with Flaps, that should be fast and slow enough to land. But I wonder if it is good enough in light winds. then the new Mini-Nyx looks very good too, but I am a bit afraid of the stability of the fuselage. One other option would be the Mini-Graphite, but it is much bigger, but almost the same price. But I am not sure about the quality..

every help is very welcome!

smoo
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2003, 05:35 AM
Have you seen the X models Blade?
http://www.xmodels.it/pages-x-eng/e-x-blade.html
Feb 18, 2003, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I know the Blade, but I would prefer to buy another ship. The Quality of the Blade and the Whisper doesn't convince me. I hope the Mini Graphite is better quality. And in this size, for me Flaps are a must, there isn't too much landing space where I fly.
Feb 18, 2003, 01:40 PM
www.toddsmodels.com
I also looked at those three and decided to get the Nemesis with flaps. I've seen it fly in a video and it was impressive. Reports are that it flies well in light lift.

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com
Feb 18, 2003, 01:51 PM
Iíve owned an un-flapped Nemesis and currently fly the Mini-Nyx. The Mini-Nyx is very similar to the Nemesis, but itís lighter, a bit more fragile, and it slipperier. If you have nice wide open landing areas, go for the Nyx. If not, Iíd recommend the flapped Nemesis. Both are awesome airplanes and both will fly in pretty light lift.

Pete
Feb 18, 2003, 02:40 PM
The best thing in between the wing tips is the distance. I've owned a Nemisis and am now flying a Blade.... No regrets so far. I thought about getting a mini graphite but the Blade is a one peice wing which is better for DS. The Nemisis has a nasty tip stall which will surprise you sometimes while landing. The Blade has not done this to me.....(yet). As far as the quality, The blade and Nemisis are almost equal. The blade is more resistant to hanger rash but the nemisis has wipered hinges. Also the Nemisis WILL break in the four corners of the ballast hole if you do not reinforce it. The blade also has a slip on nose cone which is nice but it does not come stock with a ballast tube.
Performance....... I've found the blade is easier to fly (bigger), and will fly in lighter lift than the nemi. Cape Blanco DS fest Nemisis went 143 and the Blade went 149. I do miss the faster roll rate of the smaller plane though.
Have fun with whatever you decide!!!!! I'm sure you will.

Regards. Justin
Feb 18, 2003, 05:37 PM
Justin,
I am looking a getting a Blade, a couple of friends are looking at mini graphites and reckon that's the way to go. Do you have any other comments as far as the Blade goes having flown one an all.
Feb 18, 2003, 05:58 PM
Brett
If you are considering the Blade, be sure to check out the Opus V too.

Concerning the Risk, my friend has one. It's a nice plane, but I think my Mini Acacia is a tad better in really light conditions. I think if I had a choice of any 60" sloper for most conditions, I'd get the Nemesis, either flapped or unflapped. For a 2 meter sloper, there's no question...I'd get another Opus V.
Feb 18, 2003, 10:21 PM
Was looking at an Opus but the dollars didn't work in it's favor. How does it fly where's the best price.
Feb 18, 2003, 10:30 PM
Brett
Flies awesome, plus it's a fairly tough airplane (for a molded one), and extremely good quality too. See my review on LiftZone.. http://www.liftzone.com/articles/200...v/opus_v.shtml

Only places I know to get them are www.rc-direct.com in the US or Espen Torp in Norway at www.et-air.com. Either way I think you'll pay around $500.
Last edited by bjaffee; Feb 18, 2003 at 10:59 PM.
Feb 18, 2003, 10:57 PM
The Opus is definitely one tough plane! A friend of mine has one and it has suffered numerous encounters with trees, rocks and good ol' mother earth and yet has remained relatively undamaged.

Too bad you weren't at the AMA show. RC-Direct had the new Opus-W's on sale for something like $430. No tax and no shipping because the silly thing was right there. Unfortunately I got a Valenta Swallow just a couple of weeks earlier because IT was on sale. Arrgghhh...oh well.
Feb 19, 2003, 03:23 AM
Thread OP
Mattebox: Did you fly the swallow already? Why are you not happy with it? By the way: I guess my choice is now between the Opus (with Flaps) or the mini-Graphite (with Flaps). As I already have a Risk, I guess bigger is really better, and I have some fear, that the nemesis won't be reliable enough. Until now I only heard people flying the Mini Graphite as a hotline, and not as a sloper. I would be very interested in some MG Sailplane reports... . And everything about the Opus.
Feb 19, 2003, 04:01 AM
Brett
If you already have the Risk, then I think you should go for some other type of plane then another 60."

I've been brining my Mini Acacia (similar to the Risk) and Opus both to the slope for the past year or so, and find they compliment each other very well. The Mini is great when the air is really light, or I want to mess around close to the slope, and the Opus is great when the wing starts to pick up a bit, especially for DS.
Feb 19, 2003, 04:28 AM

HHhhmmmmm...

Wow! No mention of the Dominator. Haven't finished servo installations, so obviously not flown it yet. I actually got it because it struck me as the most beautiful plane I've ever seen. Something about the lines and shape of it just seem so perfect.
Maybe I made a bad descision. Albeit beautifully bad!
Feb 19, 2003, 05:50 AM
Brett
The Dominator is a great performing plane from what I've seen. I wasn't overly impressed with the workmanship of the molded version, at least in comparison to the newer stuff like the Nemesis.

One thing I didn't like is that, on my friend's Dominator at least, the aileron hinges weren't scored through the outer skin. It looked really slick, but eventually it caused the skin around the aileron hinges to delaminate because the hinge is too stiff.

Quick Reply