Balsa U.S.A. Swizzle Stick - RC Groups
Oct 13, 2008, 08:48 AM
D.R.B.
Discussion

Balsa U.S.A. Swizzle Stick

This Thread is for people who are interested in the Balsa U.S.A. Swizzle Stick. Please feel free to post your pictures, and, memories of these ugly little airplanes. I love the stick and I know there are others out there that do so, have fun.

I learned to fly R.C. airplanes with a swizzle stick 40 way back in the 80s. I have also trained people on the stick and think it is the best trainer for the money. I thought a friend to fly on one while I built hem a 1/5th cub, after learning on the stick and flying his cub, he is now building a stick of his own. My own stick has been modified with has flaps. You can land it on a dime and, it comes out of the air like a homesick rock.

Another friend and I are starting to build a set of sticks with 124 wing spans. Thats right double the size of the 40+.They will be for towing sailplanes. We refer to them as Big Gas Sticks. (Go ahead and say it fast 5 times fast).
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2008, 08:52 AM
D.R.B.
And they take a lot of abuse.

Check out my low speed flyby....and crash! It started off as a high angle aproach with flaps and went straight down into good old mother earth!

Dale's Stick 40 Flyby......and Crash! (0 min 23 sec)

I had to redeem myself after the crash, so check this out!

Dale B's Flyby Redemption on the Stick 40 (0 min 49 sec)
Oct 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
D.R.B.
Here are some photos of me building my new 120 swizzle the same as the original just twice the size. I call it the Big Gas Stick.
Good flying.
Dale
Oct 13, 2008, 07:22 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
What, no traditional Stik style tail on a Swizzle Stick? .(JK) I have a Stick Trainer 30 framed up ready to cover and a Veco .19 to put on it (unfortunately it has the modern tail, not the Stik tail ).

If your Big Gas Stick flies like a Swizzle Stick itll be a winner. Looks nice.

Back in the late 70s my club used to race the Swizzle Stick 40 and called it Junk Stick Racing. Power was limited to .25 and a 3-channel radio (R,E,T). Many flew the OS .25 but I powered mine with a K&B 3.5cc (.21 aircraft version of the boat engine). Lots of fun flying 3-pole pylon racing more like slow motion racing out of control full contact racing.

For those not familiar with these planes, they are about as close to indestructible as one can get with a wood plane, as witnessed buy D.R.Bowers video. I had one with a K&B Torpedo .40 that hit on the nose so much I had to add some aluminum plates to reinforce the bottom of the nose where then engine mounted.

With a .21/.25 size engine on a hot day they will also thermal I used to get many a flight over 1 hour, some over 2 hours thermaling when I lived in Daytona Beach.

Hogflyer
Oct 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
D.R.B.

Flying tank that flys like a trainer.

Back when I was young, the club I belonged to had a swizzle stick IROCK race fun fly. It was a lot of fun. You are right about the durability of the swizzle; it will take a hit and keep flying. I once ran one into the ground at full speed at a 45deg. angel out of a split S. It only took 5 minuets to get back into the air. If you want an airplane that is built like a tank, get a swizzle stick.
Oct 15, 2008, 09:19 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
I noticed your table saw in one of the pictures looks like a MicroLux. What to you think of it? I got one recently and have just started to use it. How does it handle those 1x2s? I need to cut some LG blocks for the rebuild of my Astro Hog and have some 1x2 stock Id like to rip to size with it.

Hogflyer
Oct 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
D.R.B.
The saw is a loner from a friend; I needed to cut some spars for my BKB-1 to size. I like the saw for small stuff but, it dose not do well on the big stuff. I was lucky the fuselage pieces I got from Lows were close to x3/4 and that was close enough for me to go with. I actually used a circular saw to cut the length.
Oct 20, 2008, 07:50 AM
D.R.B.
This Is a nice new swizzle stick. This picture was taken a few years ago. It has some where on it now but, it still flys like new.
Oct 20, 2008, 04:54 PM
I ain't got it!!!
I've got one of these...Stick 40 + that a friend built for me. It helped convert me from electric only to fuel. Mine has a OS 46. I'm currently letting my father in law "borrow" the plane so he can get back into the hobby. He flew back in the early 70s. I've moved on to other planes, but I still enjoy the ease of flying the Stick from time to time. I'll post some pictures of it if I can find them.

Adam
Oct 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
One great thing about planes, they don't know they're ugly so they fly great anyway! I built a DPS SPAD and it flew (note past tense!!) like a witch. Not having a great cost/time/emotional investment also eases tension.

I'll bet those trees have hidden secrets - glad our site is so tree free.

Good luck with the biggie.
Oct 21, 2008, 09:22 AM
I ain't got it!!!
Alright, I checked and I don't have any pictures of my Stick 40. Next time I'm at my in laws I'll take some pictures of it.

Adam
Oct 21, 2008, 09:58 AM
D.R.B.
Here are some pictures of wills swizzle that he is letting me test crash. You will notice from the picture above that it has a little more grime on it. But, its still in one piece.
Oct 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
I ain't got it!!!
I like the looks of the Swizzle stick as a trike...I've got mine setup as a tail dragger.
Oct 21, 2008, 12:21 PM
D.R.B.
I had mine set up as a tail dragger to. But, the trickle gear looks so good on the landing approach if you have converted your swizzle to have flaps. Will an I are each building Big Gas Sticks, One with trickle gear and one tail dragger.