New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by SGTalon
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

New Micro 3D 24"span - Based on 3DX - Fall of Non-Space Design :)

I found the 3DX from Foamy Factory and thought it was a pretty nice design but i wanted to change some stuff on it so i re-designed in my 3D program (Autodesk Inventor)

I know it is not a space design. But i was getting burned out on the whole space thing. I had this really small motor just laying around and thought this would be a perfect way to use it.

Anyhow. Here are my Design Pics and plans for it.

Wingspan, 24"
Weight with no Battery - 5.1 oz.

I picked up this nice new 25C 900mah 2s lipo for $15 at the hobby shop yesterday and it flies AWESOME!!! It is kinda funny my 10C 1000mah battery is twice the size of the new one.. but a lot older too.

I will post the finished pics later.
Last edited by SGTalon; Oct 11, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by DiabloKid
CAP 232-aholic
looks good, will this fly with my eFlite 181 motor?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by grenadapult
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
Or what about the "old faithful" Blue Wonder and a 3s pack? As long as I'm here, what are you doing for wheels?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by jkarnacki
blue wonder on 2 cells is plenty for 3d planes to around 7.5 oz. Especially at 24" WS you'll defiantely want to use 2 cells.

You should have posted this design last night BEFORE i made my ninth 3D Amos Moses!

- Jeff
Old Oct 10, 2008, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by gdimonte
Can you post the plans on a single sheet? It would be appreciated.

thanks
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by nstaller
what?? No more space ships. Looks good and you even built it first.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
OK got the pics posted!

Looks pretty nice eh? I even put color on it this time!!

Basically i patterned it after my favorite plane ever. My first 3DBatix Extra 330. I went all out on the paint for that one and since it was retired i have been missing it.

I spent a bunch of time working on the Transmitter program for this one and it really payed off. It flies great when it is going above 1/2 speed or so. When i start slowing it down it does a lot of rocking. Not sure why.

Anyone have any ideas on that one?

Great aerobatics. Hovers pretty good. I need some practice though. This is by far the smallest and lightest plane i have built so i am not sure how it should behave.

And as to the not a space thing... well i have been getting a little burned out. The first build of the Defiant didn't come out like i wanted as i mentioned in that thread. And i just couldn't bring myself to build another one... so far.

Lots of other planes have been calling me. I bought this motor almost 2 years ago to build a smaller indoor capable plane and just now got around to actually putting something in the air.

I have the plans at work so i can't post the full sheet version this weekend. I will do it monday.

Thanks for the interest though!

Nstaller, where are all the other planes you were supposed to be building!?!?!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by Nooflyer
Okay, what i would do first is to lose alot of weight! Wing rock can happen from many of things! But first get like a 10g motor, 20g lipo like a 2s 360mah, 4-5g servos and a 6-9g esc! From there you should already be at 3 oz maybe if built light!
Fly it see how it does then maybe play around with the cg! believe it should fly amazing even at 3.5 oz! i might try one myself! because i do have a 10g hobbycity motor looking for a home!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:50 AM
My biggest issue is definitely the motor. It is quite heavy.

It flies pretty nice though. I am getting more used to it now that i have a few flights into it. I was flying it around my in-law's yard. Probably 60 feet square. Fun!

My ESC is very light. My new Lipo is REALLY light. Already using 5g servos and i only have 3 of them.

I am going to see if i can hunt up a tiny motor.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Ken's CAD Models
Very Nice Dennis,

If you could find it in your wallet, the E-flite Park 250 is a fabulous motor. This project is definitely worthy of the expense. Could you tell me more about the foam you used? I have not seen what you have specified on the plans.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:23 PM
Your 24" BB is what inspired me to build it Ken. I had so much fun flying that little guy i had to do it!

It is just Cell88 foam. I picked it up at the Prop Shop almost 2 years ago when i was going to build a full fuse 24" Extra like my Black and White one.

That never panned out so i got on the Profile thing. It flies nice. I will have to look at one of those 250's. Is that the one you have on your BB? I think you said the one on your Pizza Box Flyer was a 180.. i forget though.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Your 24" BB is what inspired me to build it Ken. I had so much fun flying that little guy i had to do it!

It is just Cell88 foam. I picked it up at the Prop Shop almost 2 years ago when i was going to build a full fuse 24" Extra like my Black and White one.

That never panned out so i got on the Profile thing. It flies nice. I will have to look at one of those 250's. Is that the one you have on your BB? I think you said the one on your Pizza Box Flyer was a 180.. i forget though.
Dennis,

Yes, I have the 250 on the little BB that you flew, and the 180 is on the PBF.

Thanks for the info,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
Dennis: Nice Paint! We def need another funfly so you guys can demonstrate your new planes!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 07:21 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Dennis: Nice Paint! We def need another funfly so you guys can demonstrate your new planes!
Mike and Dennis,

I wonder if we should try to find someplace to meet for some indoor action in upcoming season?

Ken
RCG Plus Member