Oct 07, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

scale down east tuna boat

hello everyone, Just wanted to post some pics of my project. It is a 26" down east hull that i made the mold for. this particular models scale is 3/4 to 1' so she would be 34 ft long in scale. i am building her as a commercial tuna boat than anyone would see in our area(New england) she is remote contol and I am waiting on some props so I can sea trial her. comments and critisizm is welome. this is not my first custom build, ive done a few when i was younger.
also these hulls are avalible for sale or swap, also I am working on a 27" carolina style twin screw hull.........ill post pics when it is done.
Last edited by CMEboston; Oct 25, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2008, 09:40 PM
RC is great fun!
CME,
It looks good, you need to post pics of the interior so we can see what the motor set up looks like, thanks
Steve
Oct 07, 2008, 10:04 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEboston
Just wanted to post some pics of my project. It is a 26" down east hull that i made the mold for.
Welcome CME

Nicely done with the hull... and looks like it could be an interesting build.

Please keep us informed of progress.. with pics too...
Oct 08, 2008, 07:11 AM
Thread OP
the motor is attached to a crossbeam with Aviation ty-raps and connected to the 3/16 shaft with a product i use to mount/insulate Marine electronics, it is called a well-nut. the motor is out of a cordless drill, the battery packs are custom made by me from "lowes clearance rack" 12 volt ni-cad battery packs ($1.50 each if I recall...I bought all of them) the radio is actually a Futaba from one of my airplanes (I know I am not sussposed to use it..its all I have) when I get some more cash Ill get a new transmitter and reciver. the rudder is home made balsa, I need to cut an acess hatch in the trunk cabin to show the electronics so Ill post some more pics later on today/
Last edited by CMEboston; Oct 08, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Oct 08, 2008, 07:26 AM
Quote:
the motor is attached to a crossbeam wit Aviation ty-raps and connected to the 3/16 shaft with a product i use to mount/insulate Marine electronics, it is called a well-nut. the motor is out of a cordless drill, the battery packs are custom made by me from "lowes clearance rack" ni-cad battery packs ($1.50 each if I recall...I bought all of them) the radio is actually a Futaba from one of my airplanes (I know I am not sussposed to use it..its all I have) when I get some more cash Ill get a new transmitter and reciver. the rudder is home made balsa, I need to cut an acess hatch in the trunk cabin to show the electronics so Ill post some more pics later on today/
How did you align the shaft with the motor? How did you connect shaft to motor?
Oct 10, 2008, 07:53 AM
Thread OP
the motor is attached to the shaft with a rubber coupler with 10-32 thread on one end and ty-raps on the motor side(see pics) precise alignment is not needed. here are some more pics of the running gear and electronics
Oct 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
Quote:
the motor is attached to the shaft with a rubber coupler with 10-32 thread on one end and ty-raps on the motor side(see pics) precise alignment is not needed. here are some more pics of the running gear and electronics
A-a, you got the right shape of one our classic NE fishing boats. It's turning out a very beautiful boat, indeed.
Oct 12, 2008, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Ok I'm no expert, but would the ty-raps melt or loosen when the motor gets hot? Is this a temp solution while you set things up?
Oct 12, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
no its not temporary, im not worried about the motor getting that hot, if a motor will melt ty- raps wont it melt say, A plastic hull? or set balsa ablaze?...guess we will see!!!
Oct 12, 2008, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
also I mean the ty raps on the motor side of the coupler, mabye i can use metal ty raps on the motor it self if it causes a problem, but then the wooden motor mount would need to be changed, I am more worried about the SC heat sink in the cabin getting to hot.
Oct 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
Just my two cents.

CMEboston,

Let me pitch in and list the set up you are running so that other members can pitch in as well.

You have the following and you don't wanna dump any more $ into RC's, so you wanna work with what you already have.

26" boat
7.2 volt, 380 size high rpm rc car motor
Tamiya mechanical speed controller
2" graupner 4 blade plastic prop or 3 blade prop
Battery: NiCd 8 1200 Mah cells or 9.6 volt
Oct 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
thank you HoaRC !!
here is a copy of the sea trial post

brought the model to the pond today for the first time. scale speed is pretty good, she sits way to high on the water line, and battery performance is very dissapointing. as stated in my other thread my packs are custom made to fit under the deck and are made from clearance rack cordless tool batteries(scored a 24 volt pack, 20 1.2 volt cells for $2 today ) and the ones I ran today were 8 1200 Mah cells or 9.6 volts. I think she is over propped though, I am running a 2" graupner 4 blade plastic prop and she needs more RPM's(I think) and can run wide out for about 5 min. then the Pack gets pretty warm. ill try the 3 blade prop tomorrow and hopefully that will give me some longer run times. also I have no idea as to what the motor is, I got it out of an old r.c car that had 7.2 packs, would this give me issues?
also just realized my Dynamite mega 2 instructions say it will charge 6 or 7 cells.......oops I have 8. do you think this is critical? also was thinking of wiring 2 9.6 packs(8 cells) in parallel to double my amperage, if I do this will I have to charge one pack at a time? or can I charge them together, essentially making them one battery?

ill keep everyone posted as to my progress
thanks in advance.
Oct 19, 2008, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
trialed again with the 3 blade prop and I dropped 2 cells ( again thank's HoaRC!!)
and got a few more minutes out of her. then I put 2 packs in paralell and she ran for almost ten minutes.
it's not that money is an issue i really just wanted to get her together before the freeze with what I have. ill probably build another one over the winter, also want to make tooling for a cap deck and wheelhouse as my goal is to sell the boat as a kit.
Oct 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
well iv'e lost my camera so we will have to wait for pics but I have built a new cabin roof and intergrated a new muffler/stack and mast with a crows nest to help align the detachable cabin top. iv'e also started constructing a folding tuna pulpit. I put a coat of black bottom paint on her. ill post pics when I find our camera
Oct 25, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thread OP

update/found camera

here are some pics of the new roof/tower and pulpit, the roof and other hatches are held down with glass ball push pins. what do you guys use to seal balsa for paint? I think the next model is gonna use plastic.

Quick Reply