Jun 03, 2009, 05:34 AM
Pat,

How much elasticity is required? Could you replace the brass ring (at the yellow arrow) with a small black "O" ring?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2009, 09:36 AM
beautiful model once done, but man i can see how complicated it is!
Jun 03, 2009, 09:13 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Well Pops, I thought about the o-rings, even went out and bought some little ones... but I need about 1/8" stretch, which is about 66% of the 3/16" o-rings I got- too much to pull w/o breaking something.

I've also made some springy shroud tensioners with ball point pen springs... but I'd need 4 of those, up high on the mast- ugly.

Then I noticed one model in the Model Slipways gallery where the builder actually moved the mast off the hatch and onto the fixed deck... then he ran his shrouds without needing to unhook them when removing the hatch. Too late for me to do that, so I chose to move my shrouds to the hatch instead... which can be seen below. One arrow shows where the shrouds are supposed to be, the other where they are now.

Still gives the busy forest-of-shrouds look, with no ugly tensioners, and no need to unhook everything when opening the hatch. This is the freedom of the "pond boat", whereas the scale judges would say "tsk tsk!"

I'm also trying to pick the best companionway ladders from the main to boat decks... the straight ladder came with the kit and fits the spot... but I have some Robbe stair-style companionway stock... a bit big for the spot, but more substantial looking... hmmm...
Jun 03, 2009, 09:29 PM
pick013
Hummm.....check with your local orthodonist (sp?) they might have some very small rubber bands that might fit the bill. I remember way back when my brother had braces and the tiny rubber bands that were used with them.
Jun 03, 2009, 09:56 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Could... but standard rubber bands always crack or turn gooey with age. I'm happy with the new location instead...
Jun 04, 2009, 06:15 AM
Is it too late to modify the mast to use a "big honking spring" under the mast, pushing upwards, to keep the rigging taught, yet allowing the mast to be pushed down to release the rigging tension? The spring would not necessarily need to be a coil, it could be if spring steel not requiring a lot of depth just to store the spring itself (if it were coils)

I didn't know the nautical term for "big honking spring".....Sorry.
Jun 04, 2009, 03:24 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
It works! The Robbe schooners are built that way... but I didn't think I'd need it, and yes it's too late, and I'm happy with the new design which now needs no unhooking..,

"Fair big spring"?
Jun 04, 2009, 05:22 PM
If a sailor is talking about that "Big Honking Spring," You probably got the first letter of the 'nautical description' right, but a little different wording....

I am going to have to make a "Tips Notebook" by subject for all the problems and solutions you have posted in this and your other builds. Thanks for sorting these things out for the rest of us.

Pete G.
Jun 04, 2009, 06:45 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
I realize this might be too late of a suggestion, but what about putting the 'springs' on the bottom side of the deck by making a long 'U' "bolt" to act as the ring and small springs on either side of the 'U' underneath the deck. This would let you pull up on the visible part of the 'U' above deck to losen the shrouds for hatch removal but keep the lines taut for running and display.
Jun 05, 2009, 06:07 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
I like that idea! Wish I'd have thought of it a few months ago. As it is, the underside of the area where these shrouds go is just about inaccessible now.
Jun 05, 2009, 08:10 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP

Pogo Contacts

Over in the Cabin Contacts thread, we've been talking about springy little "Pogo Pins" to build a pigtail-less electrical connection between hull and cabin.

On this Envoy, I needed four wires-- a ground and three hots, for three different light circuits. So I installed four Pogos in a block set in the cabin, and turned hull contacts from brass rod, which are nicely and adjustably held in a Euro style terminal strip.

It's good to put the Pogos somewhere where they won't get snagged or banged on, which is why mine are up in the cabin, with the robust brass contacts in the exposed area in the hull. Alignment is tricky-- measure carefully!

Set the pins so that they don't bottom out... these stick out of the block a small amount, less than full stroke, so they can't be bottomed.

Also, side loading can bend the little guys, so I chose bullet (round) nose pins instead of sharp chisel tips, and the brass contacts are machined flat to avoid pulling the Pogos to one side.

I also need to connect the stack/hatch to the hull, but don't really have a place for Pogos there... may have to use a pigtail...
Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 05, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Jun 05, 2009, 08:23 PM
nice...
Jun 06, 2009, 10:55 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP

Hatch Contacts

OK, I pogo'd the main hatch contacts. Couldn't put the Pogos up in the hatch, it's flat, so they're hanging down from the coaming, safe in an acrylic block.

For the contacts, I used phosphor bronze leaf springs. Rumaged around in the junk box, found an early style push button phone... marveled a while at its mechanical keypad, where each button push would actuate a unique set of levers and make/break springy switch contacts... then ripped it apart for the treasure trove of phosphor bronze leafs. Could have used these on both sides of this connection, but hey I already have the Pogos...
Jun 06, 2009, 11:14 AM
very nice...getting close to space shuttle high tech!
Jun 06, 2009, 03:13 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP

Phrabada!

Which is what my late brother used to say when flummoxed...

I ordered some custom ALPS printed white decals back in November... didn't notice then with the white on light blue decal paper, but they printed with a lot of fuzz or ghosting... can't use them at all, rats! And I wanted to finish this weekend...

Quick Reply