Dec 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
With all that wood you've bought, I figure you could just build another garage bay for the wife to park in
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think with all the giant projects planned for the future it's time for an addition to the house to make permanent building space.
Dec 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
With all that wood you've bought, I figure you could just build another garage bay for the wife to park in
Well...balsa "is" a considered to be a hardwood!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 22, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hi Dag.

Long time.
Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Tom
Dec 23, 2010, 06:44 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Merry Christmas, guys!!! All the best for all of you!

May God bless us all!
Dec 24, 2010, 03:50 AM

B-36

Wishing Dag and everyone a very merry christmas from me here in New Zealand, hope everyone stays safe and gets lots of model plane stuff for christmas g
Dec 26, 2010, 01:15 AM
Here's a little more aviation history

First picture was taken at my uncle's boat factory in Harlan Indiana ( Hydrodyne Boats). He built a special off shore race boat for US Mercury astronauts Gus Grissom and Gordon Cooper
1st picture, Gordon Cooper is bending over, Gus Grissom setting on the rear engine hatch cover
The other two guys worked for my Uncle.

2nd picture, taken at Lake James ,Angola Indiana at my Uncle Bob's cottage. Gordon Cooper on the left, Gus Grissom, then a gentleman who worked for my Uncle and my cousins husband Tom, back of head to camera The boat was taken to the lake for testing

Taken in 1966, Grissom was killed aboard Apollo 1 on January 27, 1967

Ed
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Dec 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Dec 26, 2010, 01:34 AM
Thermal Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd

First picture was taken at my uncle's boat factory in Harlan Indiana ( Hydrodyne Boats). He built a special off shore race boat for US Mercury astronauts Gus Grissom and Gordon Cooper
1st picture, Gordon Cooper is bending over, Gus Grissom setting on the rear engine hatch cover

2nd picture, taken at lake James ,Angola Indiana at my Uncle bob's cottage. The boat was taken to the lake for testing

Ed

That's a big block Chevrolet engine with a Holley carburetor. Probably a 427 which was first available in 1966. Awesome!
Dec 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Off shore boat racing was a hobby of Gus and Gordon.
I remember when they looked at my cousins and my model airplanes and offered us some tips and help.
We were both into gas model competition free flight at the time, and Grissom had done some himself.
I had a 1/2 A Sal Taibi Starduster and an A gas Starduster. My cousin had Carl Goldberg A gas Viking.
Dec 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd

2nd picture, taken at Lake James ,Angola Indiana at my Uncle Bob's cottage. Gordon Cooper on the left, Gus Grissom, then a gentleman who worked for my Uncle and my cousins husband Tom, back of head to camera The boat was taken to the lake for testing

Ed
Touched it up a little for you Ed
Last edited by rcar4; Mar 24, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Dec 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks rcar4,
My cousin scanned an old photo and sent it to me.There are more , but he's trying to find them.
I don't know how many of my relatives have more pictures, but over the years, many of them got split up, laying in boxes, etc.
Off Shore racing was a hobby Grissom and Cooper enjoyed.
I am trying to locate more pictures of the boat itself.
It was rather large.
It's just neat to look back in time with these pictures.

My Uncle also built other boats that ended up in some interesting places!
There is an old TV show from the 1950's or 60's called "Surfside Six" and in the sign -on one of his speedboats races past the camera and you could clearly make out the name plate on the rear side of the boat "Crosby" which the company was originally known as "Crosby Aeromarine"
Later the name was changed to "Hydrodyne"
While still "Crosby" boats he built a speed boat for TV western star Roy Rogers,
that was actually used in one or two episodes.
My cousin and I have been looking for several years now, trying to locate a clip or an entire episode the boat was in.
So far, no luck.

He made many of the boats in the Tommy Bartlett Ski Shows in Florida.
later when I worked for him, we made high speed river gun boats used in Vietnam.
Dec 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for sharing, that is an interesting bit of history! I have left nothing for my legacy, but I do have two great kids!
Ron

P.S. I just notice I should have alternated the paneling from one wide strip to a narrow one :-)
Dec 29, 2010, 03:12 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Thread OP
Hey all,
Not sure how many is following my other thread on the EII, but I have a aluminum question. I need to bend a piece of 1/4" flat piece to make a gear part. What aluminum is strongest, but you can still bend it with a brake or something home-made?

Thanks All!

DAG
Dec 29, 2010, 04:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Hi Dag...

I responded on the other thread, with all the pertinent info...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Dec 29, 2010, 07:15 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep
Hi Dag...

I responded on the other thread, with all the pertinent info...

SteveT
Thanks buddy!

DAG

Quick Reply