May 10, 2009, 11:53 PM
Fly it like a rental!
ScaleNVYflyr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
I have to share something funny with you. I got (what I would call) my first hate mail.
Thanks all,
DAG
DAG .. send his info my way.. my wife the psychiatrist could buy me a new ferrari from his therapy...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2009, 07:17 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
dag214's Avatar
All,
Does anyone know what is the lightest of the monokotes? and what does it weigh per square inch?

Thanks, DAG
May 11, 2009, 08:27 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Up&Away's Avatar
Isn't Oracover lighter?
May 11, 2009, 09:00 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Wolpertinger's Avatar
I've had this chart for a while, but don't know how accurate it is. I think it may be fairly old, so I don't know if the manufacturers have changed their product any. There's also this: http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/weights.html
May 11, 2009, 10:51 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
dag214's Avatar
Most people eat during lunch, not me. Here is maybe a direction I will go.

The last to nights I have recalculated every part, system, everything I think will go into this bird down to the 1/10th of an ounce.

I have weighed every part so far and my calcs are very close to what the actual piece weighs. If I finish out the fuse with 3/32 balsa, and the wings, and stabs with 1/16 balsa and monokote with 3 colors, silver, white, and platinum(as mag), I can keep her under 100 pounds. Now if I glass and us the foil, she may be over. If I glass and paint, over.

I hate to think about monokote on this bird, but I have seen some really great monokoted planes.

Just some thoughts.

DAG
May 11, 2009, 10:56 AM
Semi-world famous!
Click the Pirate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
Most people eat during lunch, not me. Here is maybe a direction I will go.

The last to nights I have recalculated every part, system, everything I think will go into this bird down to the 1/10th of an ounce.

I have weighed every part so far and my calcs are very close to what the actual piece weighs. If I finish out the fuse with 3/32 balsa, and the wings, and stabs with 1/16 balsa and monokote with 3 colors, silver, white, and platinum(as mag), I can keep her under 100 pounds. Now if I glass and us the foil, she may be over. If I glass and paint, over.

I hate to think about monokote on this bird, but I have seen some really great monokoted planes.

Just some thoughts.

DAG
What about using 1/64 ply for skin? is it too cost prohibative? I have see that used on other G/S warbirds for wing skin on foam core wings.

not sure of the weight but it is strong.
May 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
3.14159265358979323846264
rccardude04's Avatar
Isn't Ultracote lighter than Monokote?

-Eric
May 11, 2009, 11:38 AM
Fly it like a rental!
ScaleNVYflyr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
I
The brakes will work of the elevator channel

Thanks, DAG
Dag.. anyone..

Ok.. I'm new here to all the channels, but how do you get the elevators channel to operate on two functions? I can see once you land and operating the brakes, but there are many times when you'd need elevator .. up or down while taxiing, or take off were you do not want the brakes to be activated..

Thanks .. sorry if the question is elementary..
May 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
dag214's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNVYflyr
Dag.. anyone..

Ok.. I'm new here to all the channels, but how do you get the elevators channel to operate on two functions? I can see once you land and operating the brakes, but there are many times when you'd need elevator .. up or down while taxiing, or take off were you do not want the brakes to be activated..

Thanks .. sorry if the question is elementary..
The way I have seen it done before, and have done once, is to set the brakes to only come on when the elevator is in the down positions (stick forward). I may mix them to work with a mixed switch.

Thanks, DAG
May 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
dag214's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click the Pirate
What about using 1/64 ply for skin? is it too cost prohibative? I have see that used on other G/S warbirds for wing skin on foam core wings.

not sure of the weight but it is strong.
1/64th ply is over .007 to the 1/16 balsa being .005 of an ounce.

Thanks, DAG
May 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
Registered User
How about just filling the empty spaces with helium filled balloons?




Dag... I've been silently following this thread from the beginning and I feel the need to speak up. You are building a once in a lifetime project. You've made the decision to go scale and do this project "110%". I would hate for you to compromise on the covering and not be 110% happy with the end result.

I'm certainly not going to tell you what to do with your amazing creation. I just don't want you to look back when its all done and be dissapointed by how she looks on the outside.
May 11, 2009, 01:45 PM
Rock On- Damon Atwood
dag214's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j32driver
How about just filling the empty spaces with helium filled balloons?




Dag... I've been silently following this thread from the beginning and I feel the need to speak up. You are building a once in a lifetime project. You've made the decision to go scale and do this project "110%". I would hate for you to compromise on the covering and not be 110% happy with the end result.

I'm certainly not going to tell you what to do with your amazing creation. I just don't want you to look back when its all done and be dissapointed by how she looks on the outside.
You are spot on right, I am just looking at all options, I just spoke with a great friend of mine at lunch and he told me to get over being scared about the way I glass planes and just do IT. He is right, I just have to hit that 100 pound or less mark. I am going the 1/16 balsa with .75 ounce cloth, then when done weigh the plane and see what she is at, if light enough go with the foil, if not paint her.

Thanks, DAG
May 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214
You are spot on right, I am just looking at all options, I just spoke with a great friend of mine at lunch and he told me to get over being scared about the way I glass planes and just do IT. He is right, I just have to hit that 100 pound or less mark. I am going the 1/16 balsa with .75 ounce cloth, then when done weigh the plane and see what she is at, if light enough go with the foil, if not paint her.

Thanks, DAG
Dag,

Remember what I calculated the thrust at my friend, those 109.8 lbs. will be plenty of power to fly scale even at 125 lbs...

Jack
May 11, 2009, 05:16 PM
Registered User
dag, GO 4 IT!!!!!!Do you have any idea what the weight of a foam wing of the same dimensions be???? Or is that option just too complicated to even consider as far as an internal structure?? i'm just curios to know which method of construction would be lighter/stronger. navee8or
May 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
Sideslip!
FlyingLakland's Avatar
Ya know dag. Most threads, once they get to 500 plus post or somthing, they start a part 2. lol. Any chance its time for a sequel? (just wondering)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good B-36 site (drawing with cross sections, too!) Thomas B Scale Kit/Scratch Built 26 Oct 11, 2011 09:14 PM
Discussion B-36 B-52 kgmorris Scale Kit/Scratch Built 20 Jan 02, 2009 06:27 AM
b-36 dorysch1 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 32 Feb 01, 2004 08:33 PM
Questions about my wally B-36...I'm new to foam. Boba_Fett Foamies (Kits) 8 Jun 11, 2002 03:36 PM
B 36 Trobber Parkflyers 3 Dec 30, 2001 12:33 PM