1/22 scale XF-12 Rainbow with FMS to test fly Now 1/19 scale - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 30, 2008, 06:37 PM
Airplane crasher
Build Log

1/22 scale XF-12 Rainbow with FMS to test fly Now 1/19 scale

Unfortunatly the prototype build met an early death before completion so time to get cracking on the new one. She has a 70.5 in span and is powered by 4 motors swinging 7x7 props. Lets hope nothing happens to this build before she takes flight.
Last edited by CapMike; Aug 21, 2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: catagory change
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2008, 08:41 AM
It must have a machinegun
If its your own design, shouldn't you be entering scale buildoff 3 rather than funbuild 2?

Beautiful looking subject.
Oct 02, 2008, 10:24 AM
Airplane crasher
I had posed that question before but could not enter in BO3 because prototype work had already been done. Even though the prototype had gotten crushed I could not enter there. Have a different model planned for BO3 though.
Oct 02, 2008, 10:46 AM
I'm glad to see you giving it another go. I've always thought the rainbow was a beutiful plane, yet I have never seen a model of it.
Oct 02, 2008, 11:17 AM
Airplane crasher
Thanks. Hopefully this thing will fly as nice as I hope and intend
Oct 02, 2008, 01:20 PM
Airplane crasher
I reconferred with Mike and found that I can after all enter her in BO3 so will enter something different for the fun build.
Oct 06, 2008, 06:58 PM
Airplane crasher
Waiting for my wood to arrive so I can begin building this gem. The prototype was looking great, but never lived long enough to make it into the air. Building will commence as soon as I get the word from Mike aka scratchandhover that the contest is a green light.
Oct 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
Airplane crasher
The wood has arrived today and now I get to shelve it for a month to begin work on this nice plane. In the intrum I have been practicing flying her in FMS. I had ggunners make one up for me for FMS ad now we are in the tweak mode to get the flight perfect. So far the sim plane flies as good as one would hope. Just hope the real one does as well.
Oct 29, 2008, 04:01 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Yo CapMike,

And here she is, virtually anyway.

Republic XF-12 Rainbow for FMS 2 alpha 8.5.

One thing to note, on the ground the FMS model is a
bit tail heavy. Others with plastic models of the Rainbow
have said the same thing. So you may want to put the
rear wheels just a little farther back than scale for good
ground handling.

All the best!

-- ggunners
Oct 29, 2008, 04:09 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Main gear location depends on where the CG needs to be. Move the mains too far aft and then nose is too heavy and causes sudden lift offs. Get them too close to the CG and the nose is too light and you can pull off too soon and you get poor ground handling.

Tony
Oct 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
Airplane crasher
GGunners Thanks. I have been flying her since last night. I have greased the landings every time. I also noticed that if I change the flight line then she sits on her three just as she should. I have done probably 40 flights and greased the landings every time. This thing flies very nice, and is fast like she should be at full throttle. Cut her back to half and she floats. Chop the throttles and the glide is gentle landings are easy. I hope the real one flies just as nice as this.
Oct 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
It should be quite close if the specs you gave me work out in reality.

Wing Span: 70.5 in / 1790mm
Overall Length: 54.0 in / 1370mm
Flying Weight: 64.0 oz / 1814g

-- ggunners
Oct 29, 2008, 10:22 PM
Airplane crasher
Thats exactly as I drew her, and that is what she was starting to weigh in at. I estimated the weight combined with the wood that I would need to finish her off. I like it that you can take off @ half throttle, cruise at that speed, and then cut throttle and glide in.
Nov 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
Airplane crasher
Wonderin if any has downloaded GGunners rendition and have flown it yet. I am enjoying flying it so far and cant wait to begin my build.
Nov 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
Fly2Build.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMike
The wood has arrived today and now I get to shelve it for a month to begin work on this nice plane. In the intrum I have been practicing flying her in FMS. I had ggunners make one up for me for FMS ad now we are in the tweak mode to get the flight perfect. So far the sim plane flies as good as one would hope. Just hope the real one does as well.
All that wood can get "kitted" in the interim- just no gluing allowed before 12/1.