Thread Tools
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:41 PM
RocketRob is offline
Find More Posts by RocketRob
Size Matters!
RocketRob's Avatar
Piper,
Thanks for the blow by blow. I previously soldered my open pin to the wires but did not tin the male pin.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
Ramon Z is offline
Find More Posts by Ramon Z
+ Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam +
Ramon Z's Avatar
Has anyone seen this yet? It doesn't mention anything about how much it weighs (looks kinda heavy), and flybar installation is apparently a little tricky, but it sure looks durable. Using this upper head with a CF rod (in place of the aluminum) might be a good combination.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9814
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:49 PM
Angelo is offline
Find More Posts by Angelo
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
More progress on the scale Huey body. Yes, I know this is taking forever, but life gets in the way.

After joining the two halves together, I cut out masks for the windows. I used electrical tape, because I like the clean lines it gives me. Then I sprayed the white main coat. Since the area around the windows would be red, I masked those whole areas off, so that there wouldn't be a big paint build up at the window lines. I stuffed the body with tissue, so that overspray wouldn't get in, which is why the white only photo looks a little strange, that's not paint but white tissue showing through the clear body.

I then masked the red area, painted it, then added the black nose section. I think it's shaping up! Still have to add some red & yellow on the tail. Then, some custom decals and a tail rotor. Hope to have another update in the not too distant future.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:45 PM
Rickn816 is offline
Find More Posts by Rickn816
RCHN #150
Rickn816's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Z
Has anyone seen this yet? It doesn't mention anything about how much it weighs (looks kinda heavy), and flybar installation is apparently a little tricky, but it sure looks durable. Using this upper head with a CF rod (in place of the aluminum) might be a good combination.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9814
It looks to me like a way to lure dollars out of mCX owners . . .

For something this small, I wonder what the advantage might be.

Rick
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ramon Z is offline
Find More Posts by Ramon Z
+ Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam +
Ramon Z's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816
It looks to me like a way to lure dollars out of mCX owners . . .

For something this small, I wonder what the advantage might be.

Rick
The mCX upper head has proven to be a weak spot on the heli, so I think they were going for increased durability. Unfortunately, a mod like this may only lead to more broken flybars or bent shafts, instead. We just have to choose our battles, I guess.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:04 PM
BigGuyJT is offline
Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Registered User
BigGuyJT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
More progress on the scale Huey body. Yes, I know this is taking forever, but life gets in the way.

After joining the two halves together, I cut out masks for the windows. I used electrical tape, because I like the clean lines it gives me. Then I sprayed the white main coat. Since the area around the windows would be red, I masked those whole areas off, so that there wouldn't be a big paint build up at the window lines. I stuffed the body with tissue, so that overspray wouldn't get in, which is why the white only photo looks a little strange, that's not paint but white tissue showing through the clear body.

I then masked the red area, painted it, then added the black nose section. I think it's shaping up! Still have to add some red & yellow on the tail. Then, some custom decals and a tail rotor. Hope to have another update in the not too distant future.
Looks great!!! Are these going to be available for purchase in the future? Do you plan to do other models?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
Rickn816 is offline
Find More Posts by Rickn816
RCHN #150
Rickn816's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Z
The mCX upper head has proven to be a weak spot on the heli, so I think they were going for increased durability. Unfortunately, a mod like this may only lead to more broken flybars or bent shafts, instead. We just have to choose our battles, I guess.
I hear you. I've never broken one. When a crash appears, I turn it off.

Rick
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:19 PM
Angelo is offline
Find More Posts by Angelo
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT
Looks great!!! Are these going to be available for purchase in the future? Do you plan to do other models?
I didn't make the body, they are available from Mike (don't have a last name). He showed this and another model in post #89 back on page 6. These were originally made for that small Walkera heli, send him a PM and he can give you more info. I forgot what I paid, but I think it was $10. For $25, he'll make one in Army colors and markings for you, which is a pretty good deal considering the work detailing takes!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:45 PM
sky guy is offline
Find More Posts by sky guy
Registered User
sky guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike43613
Here's the Huey and CH53. The .007" thick plastic came in and the weights are down some.
The Huey is now 5.2 grams assembled and painted. The CH53 is 7 grams assembled, painted, and with landing gear.
To use the CH53 you remove the tail fin and landing gear so that removes 2 grams. They both fly well but of course times do some.

Mike
If you don't mind doing some careful crafting on your own, you can build a 1.36 gram Huey body for the MCX for free -- not quite as shiny and finished looking, but still not bad and it's lighter than the original MCX body.

Here's my thread on that: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976843
Last edited by sky guy; Jan 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
sky guy is offline
Find More Posts by sky guy
Registered User
sky guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
More progress on the scale Huey body. Yes, I know this is taking forever, but life gets in the way.

After joining the two halves together, I cut out masks for the windows. I used electrical tape, because I like the clean lines it gives me. Then I sprayed the white main coat. Since the area around the windows would be red, I masked those whole areas off, so that there wouldn't be a big paint build up at the window lines. I stuffed the body with tissue, so that overspray wouldn't get in, which is why the white only photo looks a little strange, that's not paint but white tissue showing through the clear body.

I then masked the red area, painted it, then added the black nose section. I think it's shaping up! Still have to add some red & yellow on the tail. Then, some custom decals and a tail rotor. Hope to have another update in the not too distant future.

Angelo,
That thing is spectacular. Nice work!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
Angelo is offline
Find More Posts by Angelo
Registered User
Angelo's Avatar
Sky Guy, thanks for the nice comments.

That paper Fiddlers Green model is too cool! Hard to believe that's folded paper, doesn't look like a bunch of folded angles.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 01:53 AM
MarioIArguello is offline
Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Suspended Account
MarioIArguello's Avatar

MCX with MIA MD500E in white


Another MIA MD500E for the MCX in white and black scheme.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
RFpro is offline
Find More Posts by RFpro
Registered User

Speed up mod


Sasha26 described a very nice approach for a speed-up mod of the mCX at
posting #929 and #935 of this thread.

This mod really can be done in 10 minutes at no cost. It is very effective and
reliable. IMHO: a must.

In contrast to the mod Sasha26 did, I used longer screws. For the details
please refer to the picture.

The small screws come with every spare blades. The small holes (diameter
0.8mm) should be drilled into the swash directly opposite to each other, not
to close to its upper edge.

The extension of the guide for the blade linkage can be realized by sliding
some extended insulating sleeve (ID appr. 1.2mm) over it.

Some screw heads are slightly to small for a tight fit of the linkage. Dipping
them into paint or some epoxy material solves the problem.

Modifying the flybar (shorter/lighter) will further improve the mobility.

John
Last edited by RFpro; Jan 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 02:51 PM
dwb is offline
dwb
Find More Posts by dwb
dwb
MCX,LAMA V3,HK450,SWIFT,DX6I

great idea john!


thanx to your idea was able to be back airbourne today!
I had bought an xtra set of blades to use the balls for the CAed double swash ball xtension,tried and failed,although if i was to do it again, think i would get it!
So I had extra blade screws,and to elaborate on your idea,since my upper swash part was ball less, used the marks for hole guides insuring 180°,
and the distance from the top and bottom was the same as well.
With a candle and super small needle melted screw start hole, and after insuring screws were equal distance out,up, down, angle, thick CAed in place.
Had to much play with the links so dipped just the head in thin CA, got lucky,almost perfect play!
I had a feeling this was "THE MCX MOD" now I know!
BIG THANX JOHN! David
Old Jan 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
Rjennings is offline
Find More Posts by Rjennings
Registered User
Rjennings's Avatar
Heres the MIA 500 body painted OD green, now if i had some stickers and figure out how to get the LG to stay in place.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ HoneyBee CP2 & Blade CP Mods, Repair, Upgrades and Fixes - Winter 06 thru Jan 08 SSG Scott Micro Helis 2663 Apr 28, 2011 11:34 AM
Discussion Blade CX2 mods? Pepperami Coaxial Helicopters 13 Feb 08, 2007 02:51 PM
Links to Blade Heli Mods jdbercic Micro Helis 0 Nov 15, 2005 10:28 PM
Blade runner mods? grant31781 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 0 Jul 05, 2005 02:34 PM
Yippee! Blade runner mods (good ones) dentflyer BladeRunner Heli 2 Dec 28, 2004 10:37 PM