Dec 05, 2008, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark963
The charger supplies the same current any time the LED is on. When 4.2V is reached, it shuts off for a bit until the voltage drops and then it kicks on again, but all at the same current as the rest of the charge.
Although this post implies that the pot does change only the current.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2008, 08:38 AM
RCHN #150

Chargers and Stuff

I know some people like to tweak things. It is probably why we prefer rotory to fixed-wing. There is always something to fix or upgrade.

In the case of the battery charger, I just don't get it. Lipos burn explosively. Remember the photos of the laptops in flames? You are relatively safe with the AA cells in the charger. Adding wall-warts and other mods is risky at best. Personally, I like the option to have a "wireless" charger that I can carry with me.

On the other hand, the best mod would be to find an appropriate connection and build a new charging cable for your regular lipo charger.

A new battery is about $10.

Rick
Dec 05, 2008, 08:42 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816
I know some people like to tweak things. It is probably why we prefer rotory to fixed-wing. There is always something to fix or upgrade.

In the case of the battery charger, I just don't get it. Lipos burn explosively. Remember the photos of the laptops in flames? You are relatively safe with the AA cells in the charger. Adding wall-warts and other mods is risky at best. Personally, I like the option to have a "wireless" charger that I can carry with me.

On the other hand, the best mod would be to find an appropriate connection and build a new charging cable for your regular lipo charger.

Rick
Some of the charger mods add options for using your fave charger or a wall wart with out losing the coolness of wireless AA charging.

That's pretty cool stuff.
Dec 05, 2008, 12:38 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816

Rick
The mod we are talking about here is not gonna cause a fire. This is such a small lipo that the risk of fire is very slim. The charger mod mentioned decreased the charge current to 1c. That is the preferred charge rate so if anything, it will be even less likely to have problems at the lower charge rate. The mod involves adjusting a pot, not adding or removing or modifying the circuit board. There are at least 4 people including my self that are working on this mod and believe me, if it was something dangerous or had any chance of causing a fire, I would be one of the first to report it

I currently use a hobby grade 1c charger to charge the MCX lipos but It would be convenient to have a "mobile" 1c charger that runs off battery's.
Dec 05, 2008, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=modfly]The mod we are talking about here is not gonna cause a fire. This is such a small lipo that the risk of fire is very slim. The charger mod mentioned decreased the charge current to 1c. That is the preferred charge rate so if anything, it will be even less likely to have problems at the lower charge rate. The mod involves adjusting a pot, not adding or removing or modifying the circuit board. There are at least 4 people including my self that are working on this mod and believe me, if it was something dangerous or had any chance of causing a fire, I would be one of the first to report it
QUOTE]

Modfly, do you have a link to this modification ? I would like to try this out. Thanks in advance.

Marcusg
Dec 05, 2008, 01:57 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Shown here are my four chargers sitting on cool brick hearth of fireplace. Battery on left is charging and three to the right are "resting" for ~ 5 minutes after flight and prior to insertion for charging. I estimate ten flying hours on MCX now over three week period with zero degredation in performance of machine or batteries. I fly six minute timed flights. Yellow smiles for yellow heli...
Dec 05, 2008, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=marcusg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
The mod we are talking about here is not gonna cause a fire. This is such a small lipo that the risk of fire is very slim. The charger mod mentioned decreased the charge current to 1c. That is the preferred charge rate so if anything, it will be even less likely to have problems at the lower charge rate. The mod involves adjusting a pot, not adding or removing or modifying the circuit board. There are at least 4 people including my self that are working on this mod and believe me, if it was something dangerous or had any chance of causing a fire, I would be one of the first to report it
QUOTE]

Modfly, do you have a link to this modification ? I would like to try this out. Thanks in advance.

Marcusg
Marcusg...I am working on a procedure as we speak and will post it here in a bit or you can check this post.....https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=740

I'm doing some more testing and will post the results soon.
Dec 05, 2008, 05:11 PM
Electric since 1990
I opened the charger case and cut the wires that go to the battery connector about half way leaving a little wire on both sides, then added a little wire so I could push the wire through the connector hole in the charger and soldered a connector like I use on my other lipos, then put a connector on the battery plug wires. Now I can charge with my lipo charger then just plug it into the stock charger whenever I want to use it. Took all of about 5 minutes to do.
Dec 05, 2008, 07:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Go here for the proceadure of adjusting the charger for a 1c charge rate.
You obviously have a lot of electronics knowledge. Can you honestly recommend that uninitiated noobs start modifying this charger? You know what can go wrong, and maybe the chances of a fire are small, but certainly the chance of a myriad of problems goes way up when you start changing things.

I do not understand why people insist on demanding more of this thing than what it is designed for. If there was no safety risk I would be ok with this, but are you really prepared to take the liability when someone has a problem after following your instructions?
Dec 05, 2008, 07:22 PM
I believe in Kool Aid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
You obviously have a lot of electronics knowledge. Can you honestly recommend that uninitiated noobs start modifying this charger? You know what can go wrong, and maybe the chances of a fire are small, but certainly the chance of a myriad of problems goes way up when you start changing things.

I do not understand why people insist on demanding more of this thing than what it is designed for. If there was no safety risk I would be ok with this, but are you really prepared to take the liability when someone has a problem after following your instructions?
I don't read any "recommendation". All I read is instruction. This entire site is about knowledge. I'll never do this particular mod but I sure like being able to find out how should I want to tear up my own equipment.
Dec 05, 2008, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501

I'm not recomending this mod. I'm just showing how its done. I personally Have modded my charger and it works good for me. There is no Danger of fire involved with this mod. If I thought there was any Danger at all, I would not post this info.

Here is the beauty of this mod..its a no brainer! turn the pot Full Counter Clock Wise (CCW) for 110ma or 1c rate. The worst that can happen Jasmine is the charge rate will be 300ma (.3 amp) if the Pot is turned Full Clock Wise (CW). I have tested this throughly and I do not see any danger in doing this adjustment. I believe PZ designed this with a Pot so that we could "TUNE IN" a 1c charge if we wanted. a 300ma charge is not going to start a fire. This is a well designed circuit that cuts the charge endpoint before the cell hits 4.20v no matter what position the pot is in.
Last edited by modfly; Dec 05, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Dec 05, 2008, 07:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
I'm not recomending this mod. I'm just showing how its done. I personally Have modded my charger and it works good for me.
"De Facto" recommendation.

It is good that it's limited to the charge rate of 300 though. I don't think the mere presence of the pot, which is way inside the thing and requires you to void the warranty, constitutes any kind of recommendation from the manufacturer.
Dec 05, 2008, 07:55 PM
Are you kidding? When I bought my PZ Cessna last year, it came with instructions to cut it open and add lube to the gear box. Most people here would be able to remove 4 screws and insert a screw driver into a pot and turn it CCW. rcgroups.com has increased the capability of most hobbyists to do simple mods such as this. I understand your reluctance and you Jasmine represent the conservative mantra here and thats fine. I'm representing the people that like to "mod" stuff to make it better and in this case..help this fragile lipo live a longer life I do respect your opinion Jasmine and its up to the individuals here to determine if this is something they want to do or no.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...31&postcount=6
Dec 05, 2008, 08:32 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
its up to the individuals here to determine if this is something they want to do or no.
Yes definitely. There is a big difference between a maintenance procedure written in the manual, and hacking something apart by yourself. I think it should be safe, but I still say if you aren't good with electronics it's probably better to leave it as designed and just baby the Lipo with shorter flight times and let it cool off a bit before charging again.

Quick Reply