Sep 30, 2008, 08:41 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator24
Anyone have any input using the replacement flybar? It is totally different. Guess I will have to be the first??
We changed the flybar design after the first container or two left the factory for manufacturability purposes. Both versions fly exactly the same.

David Eichstedt
Horizon
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2008, 08:49 PM

Ran a pack with new flybar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
We changed the flybar design after the first container or two left the factory for manufacturability purposes. Both versions fly exactly the same.

David Eichstedt
Horizon
David,
This is not what I noticed. I only ran one battery as of yet.
What I found doing full foward circles in my living room is on a counter clockwise circuit, the MCX had a faster ground speed. My estimate is 25% of an increase in forward speed. On a clockwise circle, the groundspeed compared with the stock flybar was 25% less in forward speed. Only way I could document this is with video? This is just my simple observation. Anyone else try this out??
Sep 30, 2008, 09:11 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
David,
This is not what I noticed. I only ran one battery as of yet.
What I found doing full foward circles in my living room is on a counter clockwise circuit, the MCX had a faster ground speed. My estimate is 25% of an increase in forward speed. On a clockwise circle, the groundspeed compared with the stock flybar was 25% less in forward speed. Only way I could document this is with video? This is just my simple observation. Anyone else try this out??
From my post on page 26 of the "Micro Blade from E-flite" thread (getting hard to keep up with them all now!):

For those concerned about the forward flight speed, here's something to try. It doesn't help with direct forward flight, but for wide sweeping turns, it's pretty cool.

Full forward cyclic, start turning with rudder. Then, once you're moving, start feeding in a little aileron cyclic. So you'll be holding full forward cyclic with a little tail rotor and a little aileron, both in the same direction. The mCX will accelerate into a turn and really start whipping around. It's pretty cool, but you'll need a little room to do it.

David
Horizon

This isn't due to the flybar, as I posted the above behavior with the airfoil-shaped flybar paddles. I just tested mine again (with the airfoil-shaped flybar paddles) to verify the clockwise circles you described. I get the increased speed when turning left, but not when turning right, although I don't see a speed decrease when turning right as you described. On mine, the right turn is about the same speed as straight FF.

Again, David
Horizon
Sep 30, 2008, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

This isn't due to the flybar, as I posted the above behavior with the airfoil-shaped flybar paddles. I just tested mine again (with the airfoil-shaped flybar paddles) to verify the clockwise circles you described. I get the increased speed when turning left, but not when turning right, although I don't see a speed decrease when turning right as you described. On mine, the right turn is about the same speed as straight FF.

Again, David
Horizon
I guess I have the original flybar the weights are round. I can get tremendous FFF speed when doing a full forward pitch, left rudder, left roll. When I do it to the right it seems to be faster than a normal straight FF. yet very hard for me to hold a constant radius.

Sometimes for FF I will roll it back and forth, so as to keep a straight line, or I will throttle up and down (maintaining elevation) as this seems to increase FF speed. LMAO but thats the way I fly, I have to be constantly moving and working my control input.

Maybe that is why I like helicopters which goes against the grain of a coax. But none the less I love this MCX. Fly it hard, then set tx down scratch an itch, take a drink. Pick up the TX and fly it hard again.
Sep 30, 2008, 09:51 PM

All this fun and You get paid too??

Quote:
From my post on page 26 of the "Micro Blade from E-flite" thread (getting hard to keep up with them all now!):

For those concerned about the forward flight speed, here's something to try. It doesn't help with direct forward flight, but for wide sweeping turns, it's pretty cool.

Full forward cyclic, start turning with rudder. Then, once you're moving, start feeding in a little aileron cyclic. So you'll be holding full forward cyclic with a little tail rotor and a little aileron, both in the same direction. The mCX will accelerate into a turn and really start whipping around. It's pretty cool, but you'll need a little room to do it.

David
Horizon

Again, David
Horizon
David,
You have the coolest job ever. I think I read your in China now? Probably on a paid company trip? You get all the coolest RC stuff and are paid to play with it too! Your a lucky Man!
Also, I bet, just between You and I, shhhhhh, your hotel mini bar is comp'd too?
Sep 30, 2008, 10:36 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
David,
You have the coolest job ever. I think I read your in China now? Probably on a paid company trip? You get all the coolest RC stuff and are paid to play with it too! Your a lucky Man!
Also, I bet, just between You and I, shhhhhh, your hotel mini bar is comp'd too?

Thanks! No, I'm not in China now, David Ribbe is. But I'll be there in three short weeks.

We're a pretty conservative company, so no comp'd mini bars for us. Our vendors do treat us nicely while we're there.

David
Sep 30, 2008, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot
Cut the flybar right next to the weights. Tossed them into trash. By the way, don't try to use a CA debonder, it melts the plastic tips that secure metal weights in place. I suppose it will melt any other plastic part of your mCX as well. No damage to CF flybar, good news.

Anyways, after cutting the flybar I started looking around for a replacement weights. Found some small plastic beads in my fishing tackle box. Perfect fit! Each weight (including plastic end cap and piece of the flybar rod still inside) is 0.7 grams, each bead is 0.2 gram. I've put 2 beads on each side of the flybar, secured them with medium CA (+kicker, can't wait!). Put a heat shrink tube (0.08 gram x2) on a top to secure it.

Now I've lost even more gyroscopic effect, and shaved off some weight as well.

It flies like a well modded CX2 now

PS: How 'bout brushless mCX?
I just looked at my flybar weights and found an interesting observation. I bought 2 MCX's, one a BNF and the other a RTF. The RTF to my surprise has substanially bigger flybar weights than the BNF. Anyone elase noticed this, and why would the folks that built them do that. Ran out of one size would be my guess
Oct 01, 2008, 08:08 AM

David Eichstedt
Horizon
Oct 01, 2008, 09:48 AM
As far as forward (and backward) flight is concerned, IMO this video shows adequate response for both counter and clockwise direction.

Blade mcx fun (1 min 50 sec)
Oct 01, 2008, 10:30 AM
CCbusa... great video. You seem to be having fun with that mCX! Enjoy!
Oct 01, 2008, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
As far as forward (and backward) flight is concerned, IMO this video shows adequate response for both counter and clockwise direction.
Very adequate

Mine will also spin faster one way than the other. Not really a complaint, just a fact

Laws of Physics, isn't worth complaining about. Although gravity is a Beeotch. Or is it the sudden stop?
Oct 01, 2008, 12:36 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
how did you dye the canopy...rit dye?
Oct 01, 2008, 06:24 PM
Quote:

David
Horizon

Again, David
Horizon
Yes, banked flight and this helicopter is perfect for it. One can nearly do funnels in a large enough area. The CX2 can maintain banked high speed turns only to an extent whereas one can fly in scale-like banked flight with this all day with no blade clash ever.

Outstanding little heli, Dave.

Regards
Oct 01, 2008, 07:20 PM
By the way, The airfoiled blades were the early ones. The long term production will be the cylinder weights. We tested a large number of samples, and feel both types fly the same. As David said, this was done for assembly/production reasons.

Glad many of you are enjoying your mCX's!

By from Hong Kong this time.

David R
Oct 01, 2008, 08:52 PM
Picked one up today...

I feel like a six year old :-)

Quick Reply