Oct 23, 2008, 07:49 PM
Pat were did you find those little lead ingots
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2008, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Sky, The ingots are available at most good sporting goods shops though they're kind of expensive. I got mine from one of our local boat club members who casts them from old tire weights for 50 cents apiece -- which is why I have 30 of them under the bench.

PAT
Oct 31, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thread OP

Getting Down to the Details

Final assembly began by making up, detailing and painting all the plastic parts. The air inlet scoop is heat formed from .010 styrene taped over a balsa form and heat formed in the microwave over for 40 seconds on high. Been heat forming parts this way for some time now -- as long as there's no compound curves to deal with....
Oct 31, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thread OP

Another Nifty Little Trick

Being half modeler and half packrat it would stand to reason that nothing ever gets thrown out that might even remotely qualify as "a good thing to have laying around -- just in case". So, into the stash box we go for the orange juce carton seals the make terrific Cub hub caps. They were glued in place with Liquid Stitch and painted to match.
Oct 31, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thread OP

And Now It's Time to Add the Trim

A simple scheme was chosen for this one. A basic Super Cup double stripe was added, and will apply the N-Number as soon as it arrives.

The side door and window was hinged using vinyl trim. Theres enough interferance between the upper and lower sections to bind the door closed, and a magnet was glued to the wing to hold the top section open.
Oct 31, 2008, 10:09 PM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Wings

The aileron and flap cables were adjusted, then all the fairings were glued in place. Liquid Stich was used to glue the gas tank covers in place so they could be removed in the event that access to the servos becomes necessary.

The slats were made from Litho Plate, and shaped using a 1 1/4" wooden dowl to press the aluminum into a folded beach towl to form the proper curve. The slates were attched to the wing with double sided servo tape.
Oct 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thread OP

And Tthen, It Was Done!

The final finishing touches were added (except for the N-Number) and the battery mounted to get a good CG. The controls were set up and adjusted, and she was ready to fly!
Oct 31, 2008, 10:25 PM
Thread OP

The Big Day

There are still a few minor details to tend to, and a bit of detail to be added yet, but the model is perfectly airworthy, so figure no time like the present to work in a couple trim flights.

Using the 2100 mah Thunderpower 2 cell Lipo the model finished out at 18.5 oz. I used a GWS 10-5 Symmetar prop, mostly cause I was curious as to just how well it might work -- and it worked very well.

Flying conditions couldn't have been better this morning, so stepped out and got 3 good solid flights. As it turns out, not a single click of trim was needed, and the CG ended up right back where it started from. The model handled beautifully both with and without flaps, and has more then adequate power for nice scale-like flying.

I also tried a flight with a 1320 battery to see how she'd do an ounce or so lighter and was actually a little disapointed. I know you probably won't believe this, but the model actually felt a bit too light and didn't penetrate well, especially with the flaps down. Had kind of a mushy, wallowy feel about it. It flew OK, it just didn't groove real well, so it was back to the bigger battery.

Meanwhile, I'll take it out again for one last round before she gets the last of the details and try to get some inflight shots.

PAT
Nov 02, 2008, 03:22 PM
pie hopper
Awesome Pat!

I'd love to see some video of slow full flap landings.

Dave

P.S.: Your tires are too small.
Nov 04, 2008, 08:19 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
I'm convinced, ordered my kit today. The super cub will be my first scale kit and first electric other than my foam tiger moth (aka backyard beater). VERY excited. Now I have to finish the Astro Hog on my workbench, but it's nearly done. Beautiful plane Pat, can't wait to see what those slats do for your STOL performance, that's what I like about this model, I have a short landing area in my yard
Nov 04, 2008, 10:55 PM
Very nice Super Cub, Pat!
Nov 05, 2008, 01:59 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Maybe someone can explain to me how the slats work on this model. Does air flow between slat and wing or does it just catch more air to flow over top of wing? And if it is permanently fixed wouldn't it create more drag?

Doug
Nov 05, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thread OP
Doug, I'm sure there are those out there who can detail the aerodynamic reasons how and why slats work, but in a nutshell it goes like this.

The end effect of the slat is about the same as washout. It also keeps the aileron effectiveness greater at lower speeds. The way it works is by chanelling air over the wing to keep the airflow attached to the wings' surface, thus peventing a premature stall. I would have to assume that the slat would produce drag that wouldn't be there without it, but at these speeds it's really of no concequence.

PAT
Nov 05, 2008, 05:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pat,

That's pretty good and is what happens on a full scale.

On models I am not sure if it works that way or not. It may just act as a spoiler type device and cause a turbulent rather than laminar flow over the wing. End result is basically the same.

We could test that theory one of these days. Plug up the 'hole' and see it it flies the same.

charlie
Nov 05, 2008, 07:37 PM
Pat,
I just re-read the entire thread and can't seem to find any mention of the motor used. Is this the same motor as the L-4?
Paul

Quick Reply