Oct 03, 2008, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Gary, Didn't mean to go AWOL, but in spite of some good progress, just haven't had the time to get the pics posted up. Will get to it real soon. At this point, it's just about ready to cover.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2008, 06:36 PM
I didn't think that Pat. I know your very busy. When you get the chance, what is the difference in this cub compared to the last you built? Eager to know.
Forgot to mention I always enjoy your builds. I can recall following the ORCA build you did a while back.
-Gary
Oct 03, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thread OP

Down to the Details

Got the side cabin doors built and ready to mount. Then went forward to get the cowl mounts set up. And finally, fitted the front cabane struts into the forward fuselage.

Now, the only thing left is to get the struts built, the fittings in place and set up the struts on the model. Then, we're ready to cover.

PAT
Oct 03, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Gary, Busy isn't the word for it. It appears that the fall "stock up on kits for the winter" season came about a month early this year and have been scrambling to get the stock up.

This will basically be a stock Super Cub, but with the LE Slats added, and a bit larger then stock wheels. The last one was modified to the black bush plane with the hi-viz cockpit windows. Now there's a thought, I might go all the way and modify the 60" S-Cub like the black bushplane -- and add the biplane kit too boot??? HHHMMMM????

PAT
Oct 03, 2008, 10:01 PM
Dave, thanks for posting the link on flaps. Interesting article, but Super Cubs, at least those used in the bush, normally use flaps for takeoff too, often full flaps. This may only apply to higher powered ones that have enough horseower to overcome the extra drag.

The flaps on my 60" Super Cub are at about 50 degrees when fully deployed, if memory serves, and at this point, they definitely cause an upward pitch when deployed. This pitch is greater the higher the airspeed, just as in the real thing. I dialed in a few clicks of down elevator mix on the tranny, as the flaps come down, to compensate.

I have my flaps operated by a slider switch so that they are infinitely variable, from none to fully deployed. I often use full flaps on it during takeoff and climb-out. Seems like it will acheive a harrier-like high-alpha attitude better during climb-out with full flaps.

In a real Super Cub bush plane, it's common practice to "pop" full flaps, just as flying speed is reached. This will cause the Cub to "jump" off the ground.

I don't have enough thumbs to do this with my slider switch, I'm too busy with the sticks during takeoff. I just set them where I want them and go. I've noticed, though, that the rudder and elevator are definitely less effective with the flaps deployed. I have so much travel on them that they look like a 3-D plane! Sometimes you need all of that travel in turbulent air with the flaps down!

Pat, my apologies for the long ramble on your thread. Your bush plane build is looking very good!

Amp
Oct 03, 2008, 11:04 PM
pie hopper
Amp, I agree with you on the use of flaps on SCís in the bush. I think the article is written from a general aviation design theory point of view, not specifically for SCís or bush planes. The original material is here. Iím sure bush pilots perform many unique maneuvers & techniques that arenít considered within the norm. From my readings on SC.org, I know they do. Not that they admit to it publicly, though.

The flap popping that you mention can be seen well in the ďMay ClipĒ video on cubdriver749erís YouTube page. Watch as the camera zooms out and the flaps come into view as he accelerates for takeoff. You can see it well in "demo video 2" also. Iíve seen another vid in which you can clearly see the plane from behind as he leaves a gravel bar. A great view as the flaps pop down, then move back up to a lower setting within seconds after the plane leaves the ground. I canít find that one right now, but Iíll link here if I locate it.

I know what you mean about not having enough thumbs, too. I was staring at my DX7 today wondering if I could work the flaps easier if I moved the three way switch to another locationÖ Iíll tough it out for now. I donít have too much trouble, really, I just canít leave well enough alone sometimes. But I do enjoy coming in for a full flap approach, slow fly-by, and climb out. Its fun to watch the plane creep by, then throttle up, let the plane gain back some speed and flip the flaps back to takeoff for the climb. Thatís about as coordinated as my thumbs can get.

I made a little flap gauge tonight so I can be more accurate and consistent with my settings. My actual settings were 15į and 55į. I went ahead and bumped the takeoff setting down to 20į and Iíll play with both settings more this weekend. I do have a little elevator mixed in, but I generally slow down enough before deploying the flaps that the balloon is minimal if any, even without the mix.

Iím having fun just talking about it. Canít wait to get out and fly! I have my new batteries and Iím ready to start racking up some hours!

Pat, please forgive my ramble as well. I'm excited to see your new SC take flight and hope we can hop some gravel bars together on one of your Arkansas trips in the future.

Dave
Oct 09, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thread OP

Getting Ready to Cover

Got the S-Cub up on the wing jig and fitted the lift struts. That was the last step in prepping the model for cover. Will get the cover ordered and be on our way to the maiden flight in no time.

PAT
Oct 10, 2008, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The fuselage frame up was next.

Now, when it came to joining the side frames I found a foul up on the plans that will bite you later if not corrected.

When putting in the wing bolt plate and former F5 at the back of the cabin, the location is correct. But, the front header is shown in the wrong location. To insure the wing will fit, the aft face of the front header F4 should be located 7 1/32" forward of the front surface of F5.

I don't know how the plans got out wrong, and so far no one has called me on it, but the original drawings have since been corrected and all the Short Kits going out from here on will show F5 in the correct location.
Hi Pat,

I came across the problem myself. It took me a while to sort it out and I did report my first realisation that something was wrong here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=222

I also sent you a PM back then but I guess it got lost amongst everything else.....

Just like you, I then went on to discover that the front header was actually wrong too and a little delicate scalpel surgery was called for to get things lining up!

Chris
Oct 11, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thread OP

Getting Started Covering

Got started covering the Super Cub. Hope to have it pretty well wrapped up by the end of next week.

PAT
Oct 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Pat, How about a update? Please.
-Gary
Oct 17, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mullens
Hey Pat, How about a update? Please.
-Gary
Gary, I used up the last of my Lightfilm the other day and have been waiting on the new stuff to get here. Got it yesterday, so will be back on it real soon.

PAT
Oct 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Covering

Got the Litefilm in the mail late last week and have been busy finishing up the cover.
Oct 23, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thread OP

A Few Details

The fin fillet is kind of an identifying factoer with the Cub so had to do that. Then once the cover was all on, the hinges were glued in place, then the tail section was glued to the fuselage.

Next up is to hook up the controls, then get the plastic fairings made up and painted.

PAT
Oct 23, 2008, 08:58 AM
Pat How much do you want?
-Gary
Oct 23, 2008, 06:37 PM
deleted
Last edited by Fishypants; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply