Sep 30, 2008, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Been flying the 60" J-3 a lot again lately -- and loving evey minute of it, but it really is beginning to show signs of age. It's pretty bad when you can only get 600 flights and probably 6,000 touch & go's on a 6 year old airplane before the 3 rd set of wheels wares out and the cover starts getting brittle.

Meanwhile, winter is coming, and I have a set of laser parts for the Dare J-3 ratholed back there for safe keeping, so am seriously considering building a 60" Super Cub. Might even do the Biplane conversion, just to be different. Might be kinda' fun don'cha think???

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2008, 11:34 PM
Absolutely, it would be fun, biplane or otherwise! I too have another Dare J-3 kit, but would be hard pressed to make the decision as to whether to build another Super Cub, or just make a J-3 out of it. I can't imagine a model being any more fun that my 60" Super Cub has been, though. I really like playing with the flaps, and this gives you another dimension beyond the J-3.

AmpAce
Oct 01, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Amp, There's something to be said for both the J-3 and the Super Cub. The trick with the J-3 that makes it fly soooo scale-like is that it's flying at 21 oz. (6 oz. / sq. ft. wing loading).

With the Super Cub, you have the flaps to play with, which adds a whole new dimension to the mix. With the J-3, about the only option for short field is the side slip, which it does real well. With the S-Cub there's lots of terrific options, and they're all fun yoo. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Then just to go a step further, the biplane version really looks like it would be fun, and I'll guarentee you that no-one else at the fly-in will have one!

PAT
Oct 01, 2008, 08:50 AM
Pat, the biplane would certainly be a rare bird.

Here are some pictures I just happened to have. It should have a good roll rate with ailerons on both wings!

Edit: Oops, I see now that those are huge flaps on the lower wing! By the way, this one was called the Piper Staggerwing.

Amp
Oct 01, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thread OP

Here's What I Have In Mind

A friend took a picture of this one up in Ancorage AK several years ago, and have always thought it would make a terrific R/C model.

The full scale wing is all metal, so would be easy to do as a stressed skin arrangement -- light and strong. The wing could be attached to the fuselage mounting frames with wheel collars embedded in the wing. And with the strutts attached with pins and tubes the wings could be removed quickly. Who knows, it might just work.

PAT
Oct 01, 2008, 09:50 AM
That would be cool! That little one from Alaska looks very nice. I like the color scheme too!

Wheel collars should work, if you can get to the screws. I think I would use some loctite on them though!

If you contemplate flying it as both a biplane and monoplane, you will have to make a CG adjustment when you switch configurations, unless that bottom wing is heavy enough to shift the CG back to the proper location, when it is installed.

Interesting project!

AmpAce
Oct 01, 2008, 10:12 AM
pie hopper
Dang it guys... I was all happy with my Trexler bushwheels and now that odd little SC you posted has me thinking of drag slicks on 15's. The gears are turning...

Pat, what max flap deflection have you used on your 52" SC?

Dave
Oct 01, 2008, 02:19 PM
Well, What is the difference between the bush plane that was completed not long ago? Not that this is a bad thing, totally a good thing. Just curious. Cant wait to see more pic's. Toyjunker, how's your Tritle bush flying these days?
-Gary
Oct 01, 2008, 03:15 PM
pie hopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mullens
Toyjunker, how's your Tritle bush flying these days?
Just above stall.

Awesome plane. Can't get enough of it. I should have more 2s batteries later this week so I can stay out later and get more mosquito bites. Flying at night wouldn't be half the challenge without the mosquitos. I've moved from the 'pinch' method of holding my transmitter to the 'pinch and slap' method, with a lot of leg kicking and shoulder shrugging thrown in to keep the little buggers at bay. I should probably stay inside after dark from here on out anyway. There's rumors around here about people seeing some lunatic dancing in the fields after dark. Not sure I want to run into a nut like that, whoever he is.

Dave
Oct 01, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Dave, The most effective flap settings on the SC are 20 deg. for take-off and 45 deg. for landing. Both angles are measured on the bottom surface of the wing/flap.

PAT
Oct 01, 2008, 09:48 PM
pie hopper
Thanks for the reply, Pat.

On your previous versions, did you try higher deflections for the landing setting?

Mine are currently set at "about" 17 and "a little over" 50. I know some 1:1 SC's have 60 degree flaps. Most have 50 as max, IIRC.

Just curious if you played with them and what you found.

Dave

PS - I'm running out of popcorn.
Oct 01, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Dave, I played with the flap settings quite a bit on the black Bush Cub and did get down around 50 degrees without any ill effects other then it would fly so slow that the ailerons didn't work. The slats definitely helped, but at 45 deg. the model did real well and stayed controllable all the way through the speed range.

FWIW, When I was trimming the flaps on the 1/4 scale S-Cub I found out the hard way that at 58 deg. deflection the model had a violent pitch over (nose down) when full flap was deployed. The model pitched over so violently that you could hear everything in it crunching and cracking. I was shocked to see the airframe survive. So, I backed them off to 55 degrees and have been flying it that way for almost 10 years now.

The only downside to that much deflection is that it gets too slow on landing to control in anything less then near perfect contitions, so when it's windy I'll only use the take-off setting for both take-off and landing. However, the full down setting works great for short steep approaches from high altitudes.

PAT
Oct 01, 2008, 10:42 PM
pie hopper
Thanks again. I can't wait for the rest of my batteries to arrive so I can get out this weekend and get some serious 'research' in. My SC behaves well with the settings I'm using, but I'm planning on tweaking both settings each way just to see what I can learn.

There's an interesting 'introductory' read on flaps over at supercub.org for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Once I've got a good solid feel for the plane as it is, I'll start playing with some STOL mods.

Can't wait to see more of the new build!

Dave
Oct 02, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thread OP
Dave, Excellant link. Now, a whole lot of this is starting to make sense. I also understand now why the 1/4 scale SC did what it did with the flaps over extended.

PAT
Oct 02, 2008, 07:37 PM
Anything new Pat? Keeping my eye on this.

Quick Reply