Oct 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I don't think the question is diet or regular but caffeinated or not. I just bought some pop in a cool looking brown bottle to add some color to hide the dirt and scratches.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2008, 01:13 PM
Well, I would certainly expect the caffeinated bottles to make the Snowball go faster.
p.s. Can you get caffeinated in Utah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I don't think the question is diet or regular but caffeinated or not. I just bought some pop in a cool looking brown bottle to add some color to hide the dirt and scratches.
Oct 28, 2008, 02:08 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I thought a couple of videos might add some life to this thread. I split the video in half so it would be easier to download. In this video I am trying to see if anything can be shaken off this fun EPP, RET, ATV round airplane.

This is a perfect plane for parks. I keep the plane in a small softball diamond and do a fair amount of rolls and loops right off the ground daring it to jump and and hit me.

(3 min 42 sec)

(3 min 30 sec)
Oct 28, 2008, 04:46 AM
Lee,

Thanks for trying the pop bottle. I tried to get Larry to use it on the Capricorn, as I have had a lot of experience using them for cowls and wheel pants. I fly off water exclusively, so never needed it on my floats.

You can staple a piece of that pop bottle around a wood form and heat shrink it to a custom shape. You can screw it to a wood firewall and the holes never tear. You can paint it inside with Pactra and it never scratches.

The only drawback is in some states it will set you back 10 cents for the material, but you could have the bottles shipped in from a no-deposit state... Now you will wonder what kind of state I am in...
Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
You make it sound like Bubba Gump's shrimp!
What water do you fly from? (I am in the metro Detroit area).
--arniep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
Lee,

Thanks for trying the pop bottle. I tried to get Larry to use it on the Capricorn, as I have had a lot of experience using them for cowls and wheel pants. I fly off water exclusively, so never needed it on my floats.

You can staple a piece of that pop bottle around a wood form and heat shrink it to a custom shape. You can screw it to a wood firewall and the holes never tear. You can paint it inside with Pactra and it never scratches.

The only drawback is in some states it will set you back 10 cents for the material, but you could have the bottles shipped in from a no-deposit state... Now you will wonder what kind of state I am in...
Oct 28, 2008, 10:32 AM
Lee:
What prop are you using on the snowball (maybe the black one should be called a Dirtball) in those videos?
--arniep

[QUOTE=Lee]I thought a couple of videos might add some life to this thread. I split the video in half so it would be easier to download. In this video I am trying to see if anything can be shaken off this fun EPP, RET, ATV round airplane.

This is a perfect plane for parks. I keep the plane in a small softball diamond and do a fair amount of rolls and loops right off the ground daring it to jump and and hit me.
Oct 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I think I may need to register the names: Dirtball, Screwball, Flyball, Spaceball for the next variations.

I have had a great time flying this plane. Research and development takes a lot of time but this has been one of the most enjoyable planes I have designed in a long time.
Oct 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
Prop please?
Oct 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I have been using the 7x6 on both the BP21 and the FC28-12 motors with 3s 1300 batteries.

This is the best price and the quietest prop I have found.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ropeller_7x6-E
Oct 28, 2008, 04:10 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Lee do you find the APC clones better than the originals?
Oct 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
Nice videos Lee. I gave up too easily on my NBD version. I don't know enough about skids to get it to fly right. It kept rolling left. I have never had a plane do that. Since you are preregistering some names, you have my "permission" to create a 5.5oz delta nutball skid version that will fly on a 16-17g motor 2s. I don't have any room for one your size no matter how I like it. I think davereap's 32" NB is cool too, but I would be limited to one plane or get kicked out of the house. Somehow several small planes tucked here and there in the utility room are ok for now.
Oct 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
Lee,

Don't forget to "register" the "Havaball" too...

ArnieP,

A small lake between Schoenherr and VanDyke, south of 21 Mile, you nearby?
Oct 28, 2008, 11:28 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I think I may need to register the names: Dirtball, Screwball, Flyball, Spaceball, Havaball, Goofball for the next variations.
Keep the suggestions coming.
Oct 28, 2008, 11:57 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
Nice videos Lee. I gave up too easily on my NBD version. I don't know enough about skids to get it to fly right. It kept rolling left. I have never had a plane do that. Since you are preregistering some names, you have my "permission" to create a 5.5oz delta nutball skid version that will fly on a 16-17g motor 2s. I don't have any room for one your size no matter how I like it. I think davereap's 32" NB is cool too, but I would be limited to one plane or get kicked out of the house. Somehow several small planes tucked here and there in the utility room are ok for now.
You set some tight parameters for the design. Don't get to set on how it is going to look when you are done.

RC plane design is as much trial and error as engineering. Getting plane to fly is more a building and rebuilding until you work out as many of the problems as you can. Consider the following....

Part of what makes this plane fly as well as it does is it is bigger has more mass and has a balanced power system. It still feels light on the stick. The size and mass do help to make it stable. 13-15 oz was my goal weight.

I readjusted the motor angle at least 4 times. I redesigned the motor pod at least 3 times and changed the motor height twice. I redesigned the floats at least 6 times. (The "Dirtball" in the video was the test plane for most of those float variations.) I have played with wing thickness and was changing the wing thickness by 64ths of an inch. I had to keep asking how thick is thick enough without giving up control. I needed to decrease the weight of the long push rods to get the weight forward. I tried 3 different wire configuration and one size of carbon rods before I was sort of satisfied.

So what did I get with all this?

1. The performance on all terrains is as good as any plane of this size I have seen.
2. I was able to cut 2 full ounces off the plane with the redesign of the float and the thinning of the wing. That is a major 15% weight reduction.
3. The Snowball will fly hands off and doesn't pull with throttle change which is a result of playing with the motor angle.
4. The choice of foam made the plane surprisingly durable.
5. The push rods are lighter and not flexing as much. The CG is right on without added weight.

Last edited by Lee; Oct 30, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
Oct 29, 2008, 12:09 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I just got a PM that says if we did combat with the Snowballs we could call it a Snowball fight.

Quick Reply