Oct 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Blind Hawk
Could the floats be hot wire cut out of a pool noodle? Those noodles are very tough and as pointed out earlier in the thread don't absorb water. Not sure how heavy noodle foam is but would sure make strong floats if it could be done.

RdJay
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2008, 03:31 PM
I flew a batt pack through the snowball today in quite a nice breeze. It handled great and its one of the best saucers and or planes that I could glide in slow for a landing, and was great for touch and go's

The only prob I had was when using rudder to turn it wanted to lose altitude in the turn. I did compensate with a little bit of elevater, is this normal.

I would definitly build another one in the future. Im gona glue the milk jug skin onto the skids just for something to do.

Thanks
Oct 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Pool noodles may work. I have a couple to test too.

It is normal to need to hold a little up in the turns with a RET, but this is also true with planes with elevons and ailerons too. The big thing I have found it that when you set up a lot of rudder and do rolls and other stunts, you will get some drop in turns and have to compensate with some elevator. If you keep the plane fairly flat it with wide turns, like most planes are designed to fly, it isn't even noticeable. I don't even notice it when I fly anymore but I know what you are talking about.
Oct 18, 2008, 02:08 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
We were up on the cliffs again today. Thought you might like a couple of pictures of one of the new prototypes. This is Chris' plane.

Last edited by Lee; Oct 18, 2008 at 02:32 AM.
Oct 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
flyin' fool
We have lots of sites like that here, but they're all covered with 100' trees. The only slopen' we can do is over salt water, if your brave.

The last time I was down your way, I stopped and chucked a model off every mountain side I could fine.
Oct 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
Man, that color scheme is really striking. You really have a keeper here...

How did you get the roundells so clear, are they decals?
I have printed decals out on inkjet transparent labels, Avery has them, and Office Depot # 161-516, full sheet labels. Then I put clear tape over the top to protect them from exhaust for the fuel planes.

Can't get over how good that color scheme looks...
Oct 18, 2008, 04:18 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Utah is a nice place to live. I like not only the mountains without trees, but also the weather. Even when we get storms they don't last long. I guess that is one advantage of living in the desert.

On the black and white Snowball color scheme on Chris' plane, The lines are permanent marker and the roundells are stickers. It does look good.
Oct 21, 2008, 12:49 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
LATEST TOP SECRET DISCOVERY!!!!!

The slickest material for the bottom of the floats is the plastic from a soda pop bottle. I'm sure this isn't a secret but how to use it may be.

Cut a piece around the main body of the bottle wide enough and long enough to cover the float bottom. If you cut the right angle around the middle it will lay flat.

Test your glue gun to see if your low temperature is too high. My low temperature is hot enough it causes the plastic pop bottle to shrink and melt so I needed to let the glue cool a little.

I spread the glue on the float with a tongue blade and it takes just enough time to let it cool enough that the plastic will still stick but won't melt. Once I got the feel of how to do it I was able to get it right. this is harded than tape and looks better and is slicker than the milk jug.
Oct 21, 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the tip Lee. When you refer to "cut the right angle around the middle," I am not sure exactly what you mean. Any chance of a drawing or photo or more details of what angle you are referring to? Are you using a 1 liter pop bottle? Cutting the strip lengthwise or circumferentially? or some angel between the two?
Thanks...Arnie
p.s. Nice looking B & W. Is that a combo of black and white EPP sections glued together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
LATEST TOP SECRET DISCOVERY!!!!!

The slickest material for the bottom of the floats is the plastic from a soda pop bottle. I'm sure this isn't a secret but how to use it may be.

Cut a piece around the main body of the bottle wide enough and long enough to cover the float bottom. If you cut the right angle around the middle it will lay flat.

Test your glue gun to see if your low temperature is too high. My low temperature is hot enough it causes the plastic pop bottle to shrink and melt so I needed to let the glue cool a little.

I spread the glue on the float with a tongue blade and it takes just enough time to let it cool enough that the plastic will still stick but won't melt. Once I got the feel of how to do it I was able to get it right. this is harded than tape and looks better and is slicker than the milk jug.
Oct 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Thanks for the tip Lee. When you refer to "cut the right angle around the middle," I am not sure exactly what you mean. Any chance of a drawing or photo or more details of what angle you are referring to? Are you using a 1 liter pop bottle? Cutting the strip lengthwise or circumferentially? or some angel between the two?
Thanks...Arnie
p.s. Nice looking B & W. Is that a combo of black and white EPP sections glued together?
Very simple thing that is hard to explain.

It is easier to get a flat piece of plastic out of a pop bottle than a milk jug.

Cut the bottom and the top off the pop bottle leaving a plastic tube that you can put your hand through. Split it down the side so it leaves a rectangle. The rectangle is long enough to reach front to back on the float. I had to trim the rectangle of plastic until it would lay flat on the table. If it doesn't lay flat on the table it won't lay flat on the bottom of the float. If you lay the plastic on the bottom of the float and it lays flat glue it on. Other than getting it flat there isn't a right or a wrong way to do it.

I found that I got a better cut with a straight edge and a new razor blade than I did with scissors.

I have 3 of the Snowballs that I built using some black 1.9# EPP. They do look good but I have had the glue soften in the sun because of the black color. I discourage the use of black covering, paint or black foam for this reason even though it has a very striking appearance.

Did I mention I had a flock of seagulls chasing my black and white Snowball around? Usually seagulls don't chase planes but they did with this one.
Oct 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Seagulls chase my flo orange Superflea.... must be the colour
Oct 22, 2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the pix Lee. They save a 1000 words.
--arniep
Oct 22, 2008, 07:48 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I used the pop bottle skids today. They are so slick that at 1/3 throttle it will slide on the pavement. The grass at the field was long today but the pop bottle skids did as well as the Formica on the grass.
Oct 23, 2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds great! I forgot to ask...
Does it matter whether the pop is regular or diet pop? I assume diet pop bottle plastic will slide better because diet pop is lighter, right? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I used the pop bottle skids today. They are so slick that at 1/3 throttle it will slide on the pavement. The grass at the field was long today but the pop bottle skids did as well as the Formica on the grass.

Quick Reply