Jul 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRabbit
That would look appropriate hanging from a xmas tree Especially once you get some leds on there.

Also you can drop a few grams by skipping the aluminum motor mount and plastic disk and just plugging the motor into the tubing part of your mount.
We could call it the Christmas ball.

There is only one kit plane with the metal motor mount and it is mine. The mount isn't aluminum but stainless steel. The rest are the plastic tube mounts.

We have used the motor mount tube directly to the motor before but as the motor heats up the motor mount doesn't hang on as well as we would like. If you look at the early videos that is the way it is set up.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 22, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hole digger
I could see how the motor popping out could be considered a drawback

I read a tip on those mounts that if you cut the split a bit deeper with a disc cutter on a Dremel they work better and grip stronger, works for me so far.
Jul 23, 2009, 06:44 PM
I had some fun with my snowball today. Take a look.
snowball fun in a tent (4 min 31 sec)

snowball fun in a tent 2 (3 min 3 sec)
Jul 23, 2009, 07:54 PM
AKA Don
Cool!
I loved the up and down hill take offs. Carrier landings on the stage inside were fun too.
Don
Jul 23, 2009, 09:09 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40
I don't know why it is so enjoyable to fly a plane that slow but it is. It is also a little harder than you think to hang on the prop like that for so long. I liked the landings on the top of the tent and the stage and going through the door to get in and out of the tent. As usual I moved the videos to the first post.

The videos are making a great log!!!

Thanks for posting.
Jul 23, 2009, 10:53 PM

Tit for tat

You're killing me Russ! I'm running out of ideas....hmmm....
But I sure like the way the lighter snowballs fly! All mine are not terribly light to start with, but get heavier as they "age" and end up flying tanks, but still loads of fun!
Jul 24, 2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys. It was so much fun I had to go back and fly a couple more times through and around the tent.
Jul 24, 2009, 03:57 PM
Crash happens! :)
Awesome videos Russ- looked like tons of fun. I took my Snowball out today and flew it for the first time that there was not a ton of wind. I had a blast flying 4 pack out. Got a really good feel for the plane. I need to add a little more throw in it though. Loops were great but the rolls needed a little more control movement. Touch and goes and skidding around on the ground was a blast. Looking forward to lots more fun with this plane.
Jul 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
I got some videos of my buddies 50% snowball with a t-tail. It flies really good even in some wind.
50% snowball "snowflake" (2 min 44 sec)

50% snowball pt2 (1 min 0 sec)
Jul 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
AKA Don
50%, T tail, pusher, and prop in a slot! Well at least it's round and has sponsons.
What's the battery, motor and prop spec.s?
Jul 29, 2009, 07:23 PM
Don,
The motor for this 50%er is the e-flight 180. The prop is a gws 6-3 cut down to 4.5". The battery is a Common Sense 3cell 500mha.
Jeff
Jul 30, 2009, 12:54 AM
Onward through the fog.

New Snowball in PI again.....

Hi Lee and all of you Snowballers.

I did a snowball some time ago and had terrible luck due to poor flying skills but now I have had a chance to practice a bit I thought I'd give it another shot so I'll post my efforts here and upload video links when she's flying.

My version is a KFm4 with and octagon shape. Power will be a BP21` with an 8x3.7 AP prop on 1300mAh 3s and an 18A ESC. I'm out of bigger ones. One strip of FG packaging tape is all I'll use to reinforce it and my skids are only 1" wide. Cheap white big-cell foam.

Dave Reap coerced me into this. My field is rough so I can't use wheels very well. That's why I'm doing a snowball not a Nutball. I need the ATV features it provides.

Wish me luck!
Steve.

Edit: 7/31/09 17:10:00
I finished the basic plane and it's ready to maiden. Here's a few pictures. Came out pretty clean. I will be switching the 18A ESC for a 40A when I get one. My BP21 gives 180W static with the prop I'm using 8x4.7 AP 3s lipo 1300mAh. Pulls fine on the concrete garage floor at 1/2 throttle. I'll add color if it survies the maiden.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jul 31, 2009 at 04:22 AM.
Jul 31, 2009, 12:34 PM
what size is that one steve.... 24?
Aug 01, 2009, 09:02 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
Hi Lee and all of you Snowballers.

I did a snowball some time ago and had terrible luck due to poor flying skills but now I have had a chance to practice a bit I thought I'd give it another shot so I'll post my efforts here and upload video links when she's flying.

My version is a KFm4 with and octagon shape. Power will be a BP21` with an 8x3.7 AP prop on 1300mAh 3s and an 18A ESC. I'm out of bigger ones. One strip of FG packaging tape is all I'll use to reinforce it and my skids are only 1" wide. Cheap white big-cell foam.

Dave Reap coerced me into this. My field is rough so I can't use wheels very well. That's why I'm doing a snowball not a Nutball. I need the ATV features it provides.

Wish me luck!
Steve.

Edit: 7/31/09 17:10:00
I finished the basic plane and it's ready to maiden. Here's a few pictures. Came out pretty clean. I will be switching the 18A ESC for a 40A when I get one. My BP21 gives 180W static with the prop I'm using 8x4.7 AP 3s lipo 1300mAh. Pulls fine on the concrete garage floor at 1/2 throttle. I'll add color if it survies the maiden.
Steve

Good luck!!!!!

I am interested in how it flies. I worry that there may be a lot of drag with the wing that thick. You may find it won't fly very fast but it may fly great????? There are a lot of only testing will tell???? Shoot video if you can.

I would appreciate feedback from all who fly Snowballs on the following idea.

TJ and I both like the variety of shapes we are seeing and we may start leaving the wing in the kit square so you can make it any shape you want. The wing motor pod and floats would still be cut out of the EPP. The EPP cuts so well with a razor blade that a octagon or even a square would be easy to make. A square wing would also be much easier to make a KF airfoil.

We throw the foam scraps we cut off when cutting a circle away so sending the extra foam with the kit would give you more options to play with.

We are also considering including the same motor mount we are using on the Assassin kit mount with the kit. We have already had extra holes machined into the motor mount to make it interchangeable between planes. The disadvantages are weight, the advantages are incredible strength and simplicity. It will probably add 1 oz to the finished plane.

Your thought and suggestions please??????????

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Aug 01, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Aug 02, 2009, 05:48 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Steve

Good luck!!!!!

I am interested in how it flies. I worry that there may be a lot of drag with the wing that thick. You may find it won't fly very fast but it may fly great????? There are a lot of only testing will tell???? Shoot video if you can.

I would appreciate feedback from all who fly Snowballs on the following idea.

TJ and I both like the variety of shapes we are seeing and we may start leaving the wing in the kit square so you can make it any shape you want. The wing motor pod and floats would still be cut out of the EPP. The EPP cuts so well with a razor blade that a octagon or even a square would be easy to make. A square wing would also be much easier to make a KF airfoil.

We throw the foam scraps we cut off when cutting a circle away so sending the extra foam with the kit would give you more options to play with.

We are also considering including the same motor mount we are using on the Assassin kit mount with the kit. We have already had extra holes machined into the motor mount to make it interchangeable between planes. The disadvantages are weight, the advantages are incredible strength and simplicity. It will probably add 1 oz to the finished plane.

Your thought and suggestions please??????????

Lee

Hi Lee.

I'll post pictures comments and video as soon as they are available. We still have high wind but it looks like the Tropical Cyclone is headed off to China so I hope things will improve and I can get some flight time in. I'm not sure how much more of this withdrawal I can take.

Steve.

Quick Reply