Nov 27, 2008, 03:57 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I was doing my maneuver listed in post 208 and spun my EPP Snowball into the ground. It was cool but distructive. I didn't leave the plane enough altitude to recover. I finally had to repair the plane. The EPP foam tore but didn't crush. I was up flying again within 15 minutes because I have an inverter and glue gun in the car for just such an event. It took longer to heat the glue gun then fixt the torn foam. I had to glue the motor pod back in and fix a broken float. I can hardly see the repair glue joints.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2008, 04:57 PM

EPP Foam Thickness

What thickness foam does TJ use on the Snowball kit wing?
Dec 03, 2008, 09:07 AM
John 3:16
My son and I built a Snowball on Monday out of Bluecor. We used some eps (I think that is right) that we found along the road (used for packing) for the skids and motor mount. We put the plastic bottle on the bottom of the skids, and I put a plastic floss toothpick-thing on the rear for a rear skid. We are flying it with the BP21 motor, APC 7050 prop and 3s 1300mah packs.

We took it out this morning for it's maiden flight. Man, does this ever fly good. I have a 17" Nutball (out of epp) to compare it with. It flies like the Nutball, but I think it is a little easier to fly. It is a lot of fun to scoot it along the ground. It handles well, and feels solid, even when on the ground. I was a little bit concerned about the 1/4" bluecor foam being too thin, but it handled very well. This plane is a keeper.

Thanks, Lee for putting all of the dimensions up, for the great illustrations and advice on this thread. My son is very happy with his new Snowball. The one problem we have is that we live on a tropical island, and there is no "snow" for our snowball. I guess it will have to be content on the rocky dirt that we normally fly on.

Daddy-O

BTW, this thing has way more power than we need with that setup. It is nice to have the power, but I know my son will have to try it full bore one of these days.
Dec 03, 2008, 09:54 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
It needs the power to ba an ATV on rough ground and harrier. I fly mine about half throttle much of the time.

Glad you like it.
Dec 03, 2008, 09:55 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuck42
What thickness foam does TJ use on the Snowball kit wing?
5/8" 1.9lb EPP
Dec 06, 2008, 10:31 AM

Soldering Iron tip?

Lee
Have decided to follow your example and use a soldering iron for some cutting work. Any suggestions on what shaped tip is best? I have used the standard point for some hinge work but was wondering if you ground other profiles on yours for different applications?

Thanks in advance

Peter
Dec 06, 2008, 01:47 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Take a look at post #5 here. I have a whole rack of soldering irons.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=898958&page=3
Dec 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
Here's mine. Its a blast. Thanks LEE for the design.

Tony

BlueCor Snowball Maiden.wmv (1 min 53 sec)
Dec 13, 2008, 12:01 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdragn
Here's mine. Its a blast. Thanks LEE for the design.

Tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqnmv...d.php?t=967044

Glad you like it!!!!

I BOUGHT BLUE FOAM TO BUILD A WINTER SNOW PLANE ANd TO BUILD ONE TO TRY OFF OF WATER. HAVE YOU DARED TO TRY HER ON THE LAKE YET???

It looks like your Snowball is as stable as mine. These make excellent night planes and hopefully seaplanes. My float tests have been good but I haven't waterproofed one yet.

Lee
Dec 13, 2008, 08:13 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

Glad you like it!!!!

I BOUGHT BLUE FOAM TO BUILD A WINTER SNOW PLANE ANd TO BUILD ONE TO TRY OFF OF WATER. HAVE YOU DARED TO TRY HER ON THE LAKE YET???

It looks like your Snowball is as stable as mine. These make excellent night planes and hopefully seaplanes. My float tests have been good but I haven't waterproofed one yet.

Lee

Actually, yes, I have tried it on water and she floats and takes off just fine. Landing is the same as landing on ground.

The floats I used are simply Styrofoam found in packaging. This batch came from a 52" LCD TV. It is brittle and easy to break but is waterproof and it hot glues right back together.

As for stable, Yes, Once we got the CG right and turned down (WAY DOWN) the throws for the rudder. I think mine only moves about a 1/4-1/2 inch either way. Any more and she is far too wild for my flying ability.

As she is now, she is a blast to fly and run around on the ground. My flying friends like it enough that they are going to build a few themselves.

I have not given much thought to flying it at night but I do have some glow wire and may just try it out on this plane.

Tony
Dec 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
5/8" 1.9lb EPP

Lee
Is this correct my Snowball (from TJ) is about 10mm, 5/8ths is is about 15mm? I have no issues with my 10 mm was just curious.

Like you I am thinking of a foam Snowball for lake use using half inch (12/13mm) blue foam.

Peter
Dec 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPJB
Lee
Is this correct my Snowball (from TJ) is about 10mm, 5/8ths is is about 15mm? I have no issues with my 10 mm was just curious.

Like you I am thinking of a foam Snowball for lake use using half inch (12/13mm) blue foam.

Peter
Thickness is a strength issue. If you can make it thinner and keep it strong and light that is great. Not many people have access to sheets of the 1.9# foam so our testing may be one of the few sources you will find in it's use. Just learn to make the best of whatever foam you have access to.

I think the 1/2" construction foam may be one of the best deals on the market if you don't have a foam cutter. It's thicker and heavier than FF but that means you can make bigger planes.

I was in charge of the club seaplane fly ins for a couple of years and learned that the smaller planes have bigger problems on water.

I know the Snowball design will work well on water but the elevator will have to be held off the water so it won't stick by surface tension meaning the floats may need to be a little taller and a small float put at the back of the wing. It may fly better with a slight increase in size. No seaplane flies well underpowered.

Lee
Dec 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
Lee
I agree with what you say about strength and weight etc The half inch foam board looks to be a good candidate for a Sea Snowball winter project

The first part of my question was about your post #216 where you said TJ's Snowball kits were done with 5/8ths (15mm), I have one of his kits and mine is 10mm or .4 inch not 5/8ths. Just curious what it should be, mine appears fine at 10mm.

Peter
Dec 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPJB
Lee
I agree with what you say about strength and weight etc The half inch foam board looks to be a good candidate for a Sea Snowball winter project

The first part of my question was about your post #216 where you said TJ's Snowball kits were done with 5/8ths (15mm), I have one of his kits and mine is 10mm or .4 inch not 5/8ths. Just curious what it should be, mine appears fine at 10mm.

Peter
The original prototypes where thicker and heavier. TJ and I did a fair amount of experimenting trying to find the perfect combination. What you have is the very latest and lightest design and what I am building for myself. The video of the indoor flying with the LED lights is the same cut as yours. Sorry if I gave some incorrect information. That was the original thickness.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 13, 2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply