Sep 06, 2020, 04:58 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
The parts bins have somewhere between 60 and 80 orphan motors in them, from quad packs to blue wonders to power 160s (yes I have issues). I have a few of the cf2812 motors mentioned in the first post, though not sure which kv version they all are. Have some suppo 2208s floating around, have old parkzone warbird motors, have a couple of the classic 2826 2200kv that I use on a lot of flying wings. Ecalc and I are old friends. Just not sure how much of a weight variance I’m looking at over the traditional build, likely to run the plane on 3s1300, and it’ll be used mostly for Rc night bowling and flying through hoops and gates and such.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2020, 05:10 PM
Usually there is not much of a penalty to go big, so err on the horsepower side.
I think you might find a lot of those imbedded in the calc program.

The only issues are "Do you have enough?" Remember the rule of tools and toys:
"He who dies with the most - Wins!"
Sep 06, 2020, 05:40 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Clean slate
Sep 08, 2020, 08:39 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Coming together pretty quickly, lighting I have to keep reminding myself KISS principle, I tend to overdo the lights. Have a 3d printed motor mount I'll just drop on top of the motor stand and glue and pin in place. Haven't picked motor, prop or even which servos yet.

Also the big challenge is figuring a fast simple paint scheme that orients in day flying but doesn't obscure the lighting, first world problems.
Sep 12, 2020, 06:47 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Going to be a bit heavy, since its built out of epp 66% thicker. Looks to be about 20 oz or so for a 24 snowball. So going up to a park 425 and a ten inch prop most likely
Sep 13, 2020, 11:17 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Done. 20.4oz on a 24 span, but the motor and prop ecalc claims 30 oz thrust, so it should fly. Needs bond and test motor rotation but its generally done. Maiden tomorrow or next day. For me this was a fast build took a week, but there was a lot of precision work in the lighting.
Sep 14, 2020, 08:00 AM
Doesn't sound all that heavy, in fact it looks very light! (LOL)
Great lighting job, I see what you mean about going nuts for lights, very impressive!

I made a 14" one of these, and I couldn't fly it, it was too wild, until my Son said "Slow it down dad", and it became docile and a delight to fly. So I offer that you should take off with as little power as possible, not full throttle like I always do on the first flight. Maybe that is why I never found work as a test pilot...
Sep 14, 2020, 09:57 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
The fun bit is the red on the leading edge does cylon patterns among others
Sep 14, 2020, 12:00 PM
Your plane will end up on "Ancient Aliens" TV show!
Can you shoot a video of the "Cylon Eye"? It would be pretty impressive...

I estimate you have 1 Amp at 12 Volts for power to the LEDs, am I close?
Sep 23, 2020, 06:32 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Flew terrible, best guess is the vertical cg is way too high, it rolled over on its back and went in consistently. Will probably tear off that heavy Park 425 and stick mount an emax cf2812 down lower, see if I can get it under control.

It was pretty durable until it landed just right and half snapped a float, blacking out half the LEDs in that side of that float.

I should be able to get a shot of the pattern soon, I don't youtube much though, I'll see what I can figure out. Here's the link for where I ordered the cylon https://www.amazon.com/EverBright-Fl.../dp/B0191IAUR4 it lists 0.55A

Quick Reply