Mar 07, 2014, 01:40 PM
old foamie
Have you ever seen a six foot Snowball? Type in Giant Snowball over on You Tube and you will see one from Joe Spadflyer from 2010. It's a treat see it flip flopping in the sky. He has a thread in the foam forum of the spadworld site, if you wondered what huge would look like, there it is.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2014, 06:21 PM
old foamie
Here is some pictures of what I was talking about,enjoy!
Mar 07, 2014, 06:38 PM
My 4ft flew great! Loved it. It died in a mid air.

My next build was going to be a 8ft for a dle20. Removable wing tips and vert.
Mar 07, 2014, 09:11 PM
Hi guys
I have a brand new, 3 year old nutball I built and hung up on the ceiling.Seeing the snowball I knew I had to take it down and put some floats on it. Powered it up with a Himax 2015-4100 and took it out on the ice today. Minor problem:-( When I throttle it up all it will do is go around in circles to the left even with the smallest amount of throttle I can give it. I have no right thrust on it and was wondering if that could be the problem. Any input would be appreciated,Thanks ,,Lew
Mar 07, 2014, 11:04 PM
Are the floats square to the center line? One touching the surface more than the other (more drag on that side)
It shouldn't "need" right thrust but it sure would help
Mar 08, 2014, 07:16 AM
I had one float a little out of align but took it off and put it back centered but still it wants to do circles
Apr 16, 2014, 08:50 AM
I call it 'landing'...
Want to built a 60cm EPP snowball (as preparation for a Capricorn). Which EPP : 9mm or 6mm doubled up (kinda KF foil) ? Any suggestions?

@ oldfoamie: what a whopper !!! Think big
Apr 16, 2014, 09:12 AM
You say "60cm" and "what a whopper" but that sounds like the original size.
Go to page 1 and scroll 1/3rd the way down, it shows a 24" SnowBall (61cm)
You can find all the material descriptions there.
Good Luck and happy building!

If you want to avoid Depron, and don't want to deal with the ultra flexible EPP, try "MPF" it is a foam built just for model airplanes and is kind of in the middle as far as flexibility, and not easily fractured like Depron. Biggest difference, here in the US, is it is way less money.
Ken's CAD Models makes kits, and has a small NutBall, just use skids instead of wheels and it is a SnowBall.

If you are preparing for a Capricorn, be aware that the Capricorn is even easier to fly, if that is possible. I have two original Capricorns and a 14" indoor SnowBall, and the SnowBall is much more responsive, meaning quite a handful, if I go fast. Slower it is really easy to fly.
Last edited by dbacon; Apr 16, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
Apr 16, 2014, 09:29 AM
I call it 'landing'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon
You say "60cm" and "what a whopper" but that sounds like the original size.
I mean post 1562... with "what a whopper"

Thnx for your advice :thumb:
Hm... I'm afraid of the 'switch in the head': as Lee told, the Capricorn on the ground has to steered by rudder, by ailerons as soon he goes off. Have little experience , only RET planes. Anyway, the only questions to me is which one built first, planned to built are both of them.
Last edited by Plattenwerk; Apr 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Apr 16, 2014, 09:34 AM
Oh My, I see what you mean...
Apr 21, 2014, 11:19 PM

Pink Snowball

Hi all. This is my Easter Pink Snowball.
30" dia owens pink insulation at /2 inch thickness.
About 20 degrees break for the wing tips.
Hobbymate 2827 with a Pentium 30 amp esc powered up by a 3 cell 1300mah.
All up weight right at 500 grams, and it's hard to keep it down. Just a blip of full throttle to get it moving and it's in the air in about 2 feet..I'm not sure because it's so quick taking off. Flew off the board but my throws were a little extreme, and combined with the winds here on the Oly Peninsula, it was a white knuckle circuit and a quick landing for some adjustments. Now all it wants to do is play in the sky.
All in all it'a great amount of fun for the buck. Everyone should have one!
Apr 22, 2014, 07:24 AM
Nice work, love the thick fuselage with an actual cockpit!
The battery seems small, what kind of flight times do you get? It is light though at 17 Oz, so maybe the battery is perfect...
Apr 22, 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks...this is my first build attempt with foam, and I'm pretty happy with the build time..2 relaxed evenings worth. For flight times it's hard to say. Running an HB2827 1450kv swinging a 10/4.7 prop with the Parkzone 1300mah 3 cell I've done a couple of 10 minute flights, and had battery left. I have no idea yet how many watts or amps or any of those numbers everyone on here seems to know, so I just fly until I need to sit down. I'm disabled and standing for much longer is hard on my old bones, and I haven't tried flying from a chair yet!
I'm new to all this brushless motor lipo battery stuff, having just got back into the hobby after a 20 year break. My sons and I used to build and fly when everything was glo or nicad powered and a bunch of balsa dust. As they got older and their interests turned to things like girls and cars we seemed to just drift away from this great hobby.
I think I could have built this one lighter, as my glue gun seems to want to go back and give everything an extra squirt just because I'm not that familiar with hot melt glue and foam.
This one has carbon fiber tubes under the battery in the front, and just ahead of the hinge line in the rear. My skids/landing gear have formica on the bottoms, and I notice that they are almost to slick if driving it around or taking off from pavement..it will slid sideways way to easily. As far as the fat fuselage goes..it seemed to just want to be that way. Lets me mount the Tower Pro 9 gram servo's out of the way, and helps keep the esc and battery protected in case of the mean tree jumping in front while flying. The windscreen is part of a prescription bottle that fit the shape nicely, and it gives a tinted look to it.
All in all I have to say this is a very good design and it sure wants to be in the air. After I dialed my throws down to about 50% it fly's great. After I get some more flights on this one I will build the next one a little lighter and give it some color..I found that the acrylic paints sold at the local walmart store work good if airbrushed on, a couple of light coats seems to cover the pink well.
I have a smaller 3 cell 800mah battery that seems to power it up pretty well, without bothering the cg that much.
Tomorrow is my birthday and I'll be traveling over to the big city of Seattle today to be with my son and his family. My grandson is just 19 months old but is already fascinated by airplanes, so I'll take this with me and see if we ca get a flight or two with him. I'll try to get my son to video if we do.
Again, a great design and a blast to fly.
Apr 22, 2014, 02:58 PM
Seems like you have a good handle on the electrics. It really all makes sense after a while.
One good site to help with prop matching to motors and battery packs is:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/42232...aticthrust.htm
Use 95% in the efficiency box, and fill in "U" with RPM.
Apr 24, 2014, 09:53 AM
Most of my electric know how comes from reading all ...well maybe not all...of the post here at Rc Groups. Lots of knowledge to be found in here.
I owned my own machine shop and have a basic working knowledge of ac electricity and 3 phase, but I'm still learning the dc side. And now I have some more learning to do...yesterday was my birthday and my son presented me with a Phoenix model SU 31 already set up with electric...but as I look at the plane I notice there is no name or model # on the motor. So I'll try and figure out what it is, and how much power it produces. I figure since it's a .46 glo size model to begin with, it has to be some crazy powerful, maybe to big to use for these foam planes. When I get back home today I'll pull the cowling and try to figure out what it is. The spec's I find on line tell me this weighs between 2600-2800 grams...a lot heavier then most of these foamies. I'll have to put a circuit or two on it and see if my old reflexes can keep up with it. If not I may gut it and see what I can build with similar traits as the snowball. One of the reasons I did the Snowball build is because of it's slow speed characteristics. Being able to just float around head high with the control I get on my snowball is great fun. I went fast when I was younger...now as I get older going slow with control carries over into most of my living now a days.
But I know I have a lot more learning to do concerning electric flight. It's a good thing I enjoy it!! Murphy

Quick Reply