Thread OP
Discussion

Esky Big Lama!

The BIG OUTDOOR LAMA! http://www.3p-model.com/en/doc/EK1H-E020A-Big-Lama.aspx
AWESOME
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2008, 02:07 PM
I fly ghetto stuff.
It's still to be seen how "outdoors" it really is. FP means that it will still be susceptible to gusts of wind and sudden altitude changes.
Sep 26, 2008, 02:32 PM
Cranky old fart
The Walkera 38 has 4 370s and is twice the size and it still isn't a good outdoor flier in the wind. As long as the upper rotor, which is attempting to remain level, exerts nearly as much force as the lower rotor, which is trying to provide head angle, you aren't going to get much authority. You have two sets of blades that are shaped to just provide lift; there's nothing to help them fight air currents.

The only way a coax will ever be a decent outdoor heli is when they make one that's CP.
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 26, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Sep 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
The Walkera 38 has 4 370s and is twice the size and it still isn't a good outdoor flier in the wind. As long as the upper rotor, which is attempting to remain level, exerts nearly as much force as the lower rotor, which is trying to provide head angle, you aren't going to get much authority. You have two sets of blades that are shaped to just provide lift; there's nothing to help them fight air currents.

The only way a coax will ever be a decent outdoor heli is when they make one that's CP.
Yep......crashed my 38 because a 5-6MPH breeze took it from me. Total loss of control even though its as big and weighs just about as much as my 450 CP helis.
Sep 26, 2008, 07:30 PM
Team Daedalus
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer111

Am I missing something?

Prices?
Sep 28, 2008, 03:16 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr
Am I missing something?

Prices?
It's probably not available through retail yet, despite photos of it and even of the packaging showing up. For the rest, it's just an upscale Lama, surely with much more lifting power to spare (flight times are a big question though with the 800 mAh pack), but the "outdoors" claim makes me raise an eyebrow, at best.
Oct 31, 2008, 10:45 PM
FG
FG

big lama

What about using the DN 900 Mah packs or a 1000Mah pack @ 11.1v's and a 10C rate...? My concern also is optional 370 motor's as the stock ones would probably not last long. What motors could you use so you could swap the stock pin gears to the new motors...? or could you find a motor and pin gear that slips on and tightens with a set screw with the same gear pitch as the stock pin gears...? any thoughts...?
Nov 01, 2008, 09:13 AM
I fly ghetto stuff.
If you end up modifying it that much, you'd better go straight to brushless and your own custom gear reductors. Then maybe it will also have decent flight times and motor life, too.

BTW, the chassis reminds me of a modified HBFP/HBCP2 chassis with two 370 motors :-S

interchangeable parts, by any chance?
Nov 01, 2008, 07:00 PM
Got mine yesterday. Did some minor adjustments in the livingroom, then headed outside. There was approx. a 3-5 mph breeze. I took her up about 3 - 4 feet, started forward head into the wind. She pitched up hit the ground tail first and busted the tail off ( unrepairable ). The body is super thin and cheap. Total flight time about 3 minutes. Life SUX
Nov 01, 2008, 07:29 PM
Do you think this thing could lift a payload of 5 ounces (camera)?
Nov 01, 2008, 07:33 PM
No Way !
Nov 02, 2008, 12:36 AM
Where did you buy this from???

TT
Nov 02, 2008, 01:40 AM
Resident Skeptican
Why would you want to lift a 5 ounce camera on a coaxial when they sell 9 gram wireless cameras just for RC choppers?

As far as outside flight in a wind goes, sounds to me like you were flying it extremely low and weren't giving it much throttle.

I'll have to get one and test out outside flight for myself.
Nov 06, 2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetek
Where did you buy this from???

TT
Yeah, I want to know also.................
Nov 06, 2008, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron
If you end up modifying it that much, you'd better go straight to brushless and your own custom gear reductors. Then maybe it will also have decent flight times and motor life, too.

BTW, the chassis reminds me of a modified HBFP/HBCP2 chassis with two 370 motors :-S

interchangeable parts, by any chance?
Ok, so what type/size brushless motors do you think it would need to fly the heli and lift a camera?

Quick Reply