Sep 25, 2008, 12:12 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Discussion

The Turbo Flea - 100 mph 20" wing, Video and V3 Plans up - See Post 96

Created this little monster while waiting for depron for my pylon racer project. It uses spare bits and peices i had lying around, and amazingly is a total blast to fly (better have good eye sight and the reflexes of a cat though!!)

This is V2, V1 had a major pitch down with throttle due to the motor being slightly higher than the wing, which required full up and then some trim for level flight, hopefully v2 fixes it. V1 was insanely fast (partially because of the tiny size) but the general consensus was 90+ mph. V2 should be a touch faster, Ill try to get video doplared, camera man was having a hell of a time trying to keep it in frame!

Once V2 has proven itself Ill post plans, Im pretty confident shes sorted. its easy to build and AFAIK meets the Fastest Foam Plane challenge rules, You just need an extra 40+ MPH You could build 2 of these and still come in under $100US!

90% completed, will be covered tonight too (silver top, black bottom) - Contrasting colours are a MUST!, I recommended a few redbulls before flying too.

Specs -

W.S - 20"
A.U.W - 220 gram
All 6mm depron, with the exception of fins and upper and lower fuse skins which are 3mm
2mm and 1mm CF reforcment.

Gear recommended -

Mystery 2825 5000kV outrunner (modified to be backmounted)
30A esc
800MaH 2S 20C+ (30C+ very recommended)
Generic 8-9 gram servos
APC 4.75x4.75 cut down to 3.5x4.75

UPDATED -

V3 Plans are post 96,
Video is https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964701 <- The magic 100mph pass
Dirt cheap motors and esc are on ebay ie - http://cgi.ebay.com/MYSTERY-5000-Out...QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by jackosmeister; Dec 08, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2008, 12:30 AM
Look outside the Square
Very, Very. Nice Jackosmeister .

B x
Sep 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
building building building!
That looks sweet as! I've been trying to make a small Mugi delta for the last week with an old Microdan motor with very little success! This looks like it might just do the trick. Great work again jackosmeister!
Sep 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
My plans are in my blog
I like ow you did the servo mounts, quite aerodynamic.
Sep 26, 2008, 01:27 AM
Cheers guys,

All covered and ready for her maiden tommorrow morning, all going well plans should be up tommorrow night.
Sep 27, 2008, 08:55 AM
very impressive Jacko. I'm busy with my building on rex600 atm. when I'm done I should restart on my raptor-22, kind of gathering dust at the garage atm, lol.
Sep 28, 2008, 12:07 AM
She flies, Took a couple of attempts to get it setup right but shes a rocket, the front of fuselage is mush though! - Its a amazingly tough little plane, covering does wonders to foam.

Ended up that zero elevon reflex is the trick, totally neutral pitch right through the speed range so its all good!. Ill sort the plans out when I get five minutes.

Radared at 139kmh (87mph) on a shagged pack, 90+ would be very doable on a fresh pack.
Oct 01, 2008, 03:47 PM
Halfassed plans - But should be enough to build from

Sketchup file plan, Im still having issues getting a 1:1 PDF out of sketchup, ive only managed it once out of countless attempts! - Serious witchcraft.

Hopefully ill get some time to finish the plan soon

Dont be afraid to point out any woopsies or questions!

SOME NOTES :
* Sand LE sharp, TE are also sharp but sanded the opposite way - Kinda like this (crude, I know!) LE /=====/ TE
* Covering it is very recommended - It flies fine uncovered, but covering makes it slightly stiffer and a lot more crash resistant.
* Upper and lower fuselage skins are 3mm depron (50mm wide)
* Control throws - Naff all, you dont need much
* Elevon Reflex - ZERO
* Parts placement - Receiver up the front on the lower fuse floor, ESC in the lower fuse, doublesided taped to the underside of the wing.
* Launching - an easy toss from the wing is all she needs, plenty of thrust to get up too speed, then hold on!
Last edited by jackosmeister; Oct 01, 2008 at 04:08 PM.
Oct 05, 2008, 05:57 AM
video
Oct 05, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is that a statement, or a question, or did your mum just not teach you any manners?

Ill see what i can get this weekend, dont expect much though as she goes from small to very small very quickly. Camera man gave up on trying to keep up last time.
Oct 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the drawing and testing of a fine looking model jackosmeister!
I've been eyeing this for a home for a MicroDan 2505-SPEED motor, possibly using 4S, (enlarged a bit).
I'm interested in exactly where would be the best place to mount the vertical stabs on a high speed wing.
I believe I've read that for maximum wing efficiency, the tips may not be the best place for them? I don't remember where I read that, or if I just imagined it, but I'd like to get some other peoples input before proceeding.
Also, the motor appears to be mounted right on the centerline. No thrust angle to it correct?

Thanks much!

gofish
Oct 11, 2008, 01:25 AM
No idea on the correct position for the fins. They work well on the tips though, they look small but work fine and dandy, no sign of any wobble. Yup zero thrust angle and make sure the thrust line is dead centre of the wing, any up or done produces big up/down pitch changes with power. Good luck! A mate of mine is building a brother to my flea for some racing...

Ive cut the prop to 3" in the hopes of more speed and will try to get some video tommorrow, hopefully i can borrow an HD camera.
Nov 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
cool can't whaton vid. ya blame mom maners who need's um
Nov 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
you have a great plane there. Also want to see video.
Nov 11, 2008, 06:24 AM
I think jackosmeisters got a great plane too. Mines not finished yet, but I thought I'd brighten up this thread with one pic.