Sep 24, 2008, 07:27 PM
Build Log

RG-65 Mini Tux II Build

Had some fun tonight, wanted to build Jens Spamer's Mini Tux since last April. So I got down to it. Printed out the patterns last night and then cut them out of balsa today. It only took 2 sheets of 6"x36" of balsa. Ready for gluing up tomorrow night. I did make a slight change, instead of a flat bottom, it has been rounded out a little. Will be interested to see what the Tux will look like when finished.

Here's a couple of links of the Mini Tux I:
http://rg65.free.fr/
Mini Tux II
Jens Spamer's Mini Tux (Penquin on the sail)
Last edited by ROADTOAD; Sep 24, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
RT, do you make your own mast and sail or u buy the rig kit ? Cause i need some pointer on how do you align and drill those holes on the mast.
Sep 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamafever
RT, do you make your own mast and sail or u buy the rig kit ? Cause i need some pointer on how do you align and drill those holes on the mast.
Make everything myself, Take a look at my other thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833488

Also, check out this website, it will be very helpful to you no mater what size RC sailboat you build:
http://www.myrc.org/build36/bld36600.htm
Sep 25, 2008, 07:54 PM

Bummer!!

Well got down to starting the build. The frames attached to the bottom nicely with the rounded bilge. A problem arose when the sides were attached starting from the transom forward. When they were glued onto the frame sides, noticed a problem. The bottom was wavely warped between frames. The single balsa bottom sheet does not like compound curves. My conclusion is, building rounded bottom without using a building jig will not work. Also, multiple bottom pcs. would be needed.

Tried to salvage this build by cutting the bottom off and removing the rounded bottoms of the frames and re-attaching the bottom. See last picture. Much better, still not perfect because the frame bottoms were no longer true.
So I will be scapping this build.

Building a flat bottom boat no jig method is easy and works.....Will have to get some more plywood, recut the frames, bottom, and sides and start again. This time will build the Mini-Tux as intended, with a flat bottom.

Stay tuned.

Sep 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamafever
Sent you a PM
Sep 27, 2008, 06:29 PM

Another try

Instead of using 1/16" balsa as I did on the first Tux, went with the 1/8" balsa, since I had a couple sheets of that on hand. The hull can be built completly using 3/32 plywood to save some weight.

Because I used 1/8", the sheer clamp strip of wood can be eliminated that the deck would be glued onto.

The frames are glued up onto the flat bottom and left to dry.
Last edited by ROADTOAD; Sep 29, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Sep 28, 2008, 02:18 PM

Attaching the sides

First off was to glue the sides to the transom. Clamp the bow at the point shown. Next glue the frames to the sides starting at the transom, work your way to the bow one frame at a time. You will need to push down on the frames to align them with the top edge of the frames. At the bow, a carved balsa block was glued into place.

I did adjust the the bow frame #1 by adding an 1/8" to the top edge. The end result the flare at the bow matched that of frame #2. A better looking bow.

I worked with epoxy glue, this time around, took awhile longer to assemble the hull as pictured. To speed up the building process, Ca glue could have been used.

If anyone is interested in the pattern set--pdf. files, the links to them are on my website:
Puddle Pirate Boat Yard
Last edited by ROADTOAD; Sep 28, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Oct 02, 2008, 07:15 PM
Put the sides on a couple nights ago and completed inital sanding tonight.

Oct 09, 2008, 10:17 AM
How's the build going? I noticed that you have no holes in your frames to allow any water that should get inside to drain out or to lighten the hull a bit?
Oct 09, 2008, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsfool
How's the build going? I noticed that you have no holes in your frames to allow any water that should get inside to drain out or to lighten the hull a bit?
I covered the hull with 3/4 oz. cloth and epoxy. It should be ready to sand this weekend and then proceed further with the build. The internal bulkheads will be cut out as I go.
Below is a picture of Spamers Mini Tux, this will give you an idea of what the insides look like.
Oct 26, 2008, 07:31 PM

Change of Plans

Had a notion today, to halt construction on the Mini Tux as a balsa hull.
Checked my box of molding material and found that I may have enough Por-A-Mold.

Hmm, hull is sitting there with it's cured second coat of epoxy. Let's sand it down, see what it looks like. Looks good, fits on a board.......it has now ended up as a plug. Primed and will be prepping it for mold making.

I couldn't resist............
Nov 07, 2008, 07:44 PM
Had just enough Por-A-Mold left over my my last molding session to make one of the Mini Tux II. With just a little of Por-A-Kast to apply one coat to stiffen up the mold.

Pulled the plug out of the mold tonight and the mold was not stiff enough. So I grabbed a can of Bondo polyester resin, some 8 oz. fiberglass cloth and applied to layers over the Por-A-Kast. This will now make the mold stiff enough.

Will add some pictures within the next day.

I have updated my website some and will continue to do so every week:
http://home.earthlink.net/~puddlepirate/
Nov 09, 2008, 12:59 PM

Picture of the mold

Just need to get some cloth and resin and I am all set to go.
Nov 09, 2008, 02:45 PM
Looking good dude.

Don't know if any one is professionally producing this class' hulls, on these shores.

You definately should with that mold.
Nov 09, 2008, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpheron
Looking good dude.

Don't know if any one is professionally producing this class' hulls, on these shores.

You definately should with that mold.
Thanx Nigel.

There are a couple of us who have made some molds, my Askook, my Mini Tux 2 and a Laerke by one of our RG65 group members. But, not producing any hulls in any great quantity.

Hopefully I can get a few of Mini Tux 2's out there so the guys can play.
I am deciding on which epoxy resin to use, that can be safely used indoors.
It's getting a little too cold in the garage to do any lay-ups using polyester or aromatic type epoxies, especially if I have to keep the door open with an exhaust fan going.....brrrr.

Aircraft Spruce has a bunch of choices.

Sven

Quick Reply