Sep 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

USS New Jersey BB62 1/200 scale

So Im building this thing from plans that I got online. the build is going well so far. im just building details right now. its a post 1983 refit and so far i have the CWIS built, harpoon launchers and tomahawk missle launchers done along with some other assorted pieces.

a question i have for some of you guys that might have served on a battleship is what was the sound like? i mean what did you hear say when you were standing out on the deck and underway? could you hear the steam turbines?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2008, 01:31 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
You know, having ridden the BB62 New Jersey down river, after Rose Festival, I don't
recall hearing any engine sounds. But I do recall seeing the small boats "speeding"
along side and behind the ship. They were really putting up wakes trying to keep up.
And the New Jersey hardly felt like it was moving at all.

Sep 26, 2008, 06:48 AM
Not having sailed on a Battleship, but on many cruise ships I would conjecture that it was much more quiet because all the important machinery is within the armored bastion or envelope of the ship. Two feet at water line and somewhat less at deck level. Check the stats of ship. All that steel has to reduce the noise of the turbines.

Phil
Sep 26, 2008, 07:11 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
I haven't been on a US battleship, but spent some time in the navy, most of the ships I was on all you could hear is a low rumble from the machinery and a constant drone from the multitude of fans for aircon and ventilation. Really boring.
All though the 100 ltr V8 sounded sweet when winding up under load on the Minehunter.
Nick
Sep 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
thanks guys i havent been on a ship and was curious. i would like to put sound on this and wondered about that sound. since im layed up and cant work right now im makin progress on the build fairly quick. right now im working on the super structure. its been alot of fun to build so far. ill take some pics and post.
Sep 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Just be sure you have a large speaker for those 16" & 5" guns.

Quick Reply