New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by DocMac
Brian, Southern Oregon

V-Tails vs Standard

I understand that the concept of the V-tail is to keep the elevator out of the grass, perhaps keeping it from becoming damaged. However, is it just me, or is the V-tail a more fragile set up than the standard?
Also, I recently was reading a site that makes the Majestic 110" sailplane, and they boast an elevator/rudder mixer. Huh? I've heard of rudder/aileron mixing, but not the former. Anyone care to explain this?
Thanks all.
Brian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2001, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by DocMac
Brian, Southern Oregon
Ignore the second part about explaining rudder/elevator mixing. I've got that concept. I just know it as v-tail mixing. I had a mental spasm moment :-)
Brian
Old Jun 07, 2001, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Take a look at the follow link to DJ Aerotech's website for a good discussion on V, T, and conventional tails http://djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/dj_qu...vtaileff.html. My own personal experience is that convention tails are stronger than V tails (my V tail fuselages tend to break just forward of the tail surfaces), but more prone to landing damage.

V-Tails use R/E mixing and deltas/wings use A/E mixing.

Pete